Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Estimated time - 12:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Rafael Nadal 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 182 [183] 184 185 186 ... 231 Go Down Reply
Author

Rafael Nadal

(Read 105344 times)
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2730 on: August 16, 2012, 06:12 PM »

I like Rafa. I wish him all the best in his recovery. Would have loved to have seen an  Andy vs Rafa match, especially the way Andy's been playing.

Same here...I wish Rafa a speedy recovery and hope to see him back in action soon.
He has got a lot more to do though he has achieved more than he has to for his age..
IP Logged
Philip
Seed

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2731 on: August 16, 2012, 09:21 PM »

Hmm.. not sure about that. I don't recall Andy ever deliberately hitting a ball straight at an opponent (Fed's head or Tsonga's nethers) pre-Lendl.

Agree. Although I recall a ball in a certain delicate area of Tsonga had the latter red faced and gasping for air, kneeling on the side line at the Wimbledon SF Whistle

Hitting a ball straight in the body of an opponent at the net is very effective because a) it takes time to turn the body and racket round to the correct position and b) it is a natural body reaction to dodge the ball first rather than trying to strike it.

I hope that Nadal will get better soon. I love his warrior spirit and his oncourt demeanor.
[ Last edit by Philip August 16, 2012, 09:30 PM ] IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2732 on: August 16, 2012, 10:07 PM »

They were saying on Sky that there are unconfirmed rumours that Rafa might be out for rest of the year.  Could just be speculation of course and I guess such rumours are bound to be rife until he next appears.
IP Logged
Philip
Seed

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2733 on: August 16, 2012, 10:10 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised if that happens. Nadal has put a lot of mileage and strains on those legs especially during the AO and clay court season.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2734 on: August 17, 2012, 12:08 AM »

I find that highly debatable. Rafa strikes me as a very mature guy and perfectly capable of making decisions on his own.

Have you read his autobiography? He's very critical of Toni. I fully expect headlines like 'I always hated tennis' and 'I did it all for Toni' when he retires.
IP Logged
Philip
Seed

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2735 on: August 17, 2012, 12:16 AM »

Interesting. So are you saying Nadal played tennis mainly to please uncle Toni and not because he really wants to play tennis ? What did he really want to do in his life then ?  What does the autobiography say ?
[ Last edit by Philip August 17, 2012, 07:58 AM ] IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2736 on: August 17, 2012, 07:34 AM »

Philip, haven't read the autobiography, but wasn't he a really good footballer and has that pro footballer uncle.
Rumours on the net that he needs an op.
IP Logged
Philip
Seed

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2737 on: August 17, 2012, 08:02 AM »

Crikey. I wonder if this could spell the end of his career as surely his performance would be affected by the op. Nadal game is based on his retrieving skills and keeping the ball in play so if that goes, he will be in serious trouble. Even a small 5% difference would have a major impact in him competing for GSs.

We saw how at the olympic final where even Federer could not properly compete when his tired legs couldn't get him to the optimum position consistently to strike the balls.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2738 on: August 17, 2012, 05:21 PM »

Have you read his autobiography? He's very critical of Toni. I fully expect headlines like 'I always hated tennis' and 'I did it all for Toni' when he retires.

Doesn’t this also mean that he is indeed free from Uncle Toni and quite independent in his own thinking and therefore, should be responsible at least for some of his actions on court good or bad?

Anyway, I have read parts of it, as when it first came out, a lot of posters started posting all the highlights of the book basically everywhere which then created a lot of controversies. That aside, the book has the victim mentality written all over it and doesn’t feel like a genuine and honest effort. I wouldn't want to miss a chance to read books from Johnny Mac or Pete Sampras or Rod Laver or Bjorn Borg, Ivan Lendl etc. becasue I never doubt their authenticity.  

I much prefer that Nadal who took Federer to task and broke him down to pieces.
[ Last edit by Emma Jean August 17, 2012, 05:26 PM ] IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2739 on: August 17, 2012, 05:24 PM »

Interesting. So are you saying Nadal played tennis mainly to please uncle Toni and not because he really wants to play tennis ? What did he really want to do in his life then ?  What does the autobiography say ?

He pretty much implied that, really. I thought he was being really ungrateful but then again, I really don't know the truth because Nadal is very hard to figure out and it feels as though he's holding in a lot. It's quite possible he never wanted to be a tennis player but perhaps his closest family (and Uncle Toni) didn't leave him any choice. If he really wants to happy, then from this point on, he should do whatever he wants. He’s still very young and can peruse so much more.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2740 on: August 17, 2012, 06:29 PM »

Apparently Rafa  has "Hoffa's Syndrome" which is a "fat pad" in his left knee.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2741 on: August 18, 2012, 03:29 PM »

What will be the verdict if Nadal decides to play DC? That is, given the injury.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2742 on: August 18, 2012, 06:27 PM »

I have read Rafa's autobiography twice now and thought Toni came across as a bully and actually quite an unsavoury character - certainly not someone I would want to have guidance of a child.  I was left wondering if Rafa's OCD - which he talks about a lot in the book - is a reaction to Toni and a desire to take control of certain aspects of his life.  I found it quite sad to be honest.  

I would be very surprised if he does play DC.  I'm pretty sure Spain could beat USA in Spain, on clay, without Rafa. 

I've just read an article that quotes Rafa as saying that, due to the nature of his injury, he may have to play fewer hard court tournaments in the future and concentrate on clay in order to prolong his career.  Doesn't sound great.
[ Last edit by Alis August 18, 2012, 08:31 PM ] IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2743 on: August 18, 2012, 09:01 PM »

What I wonder about this book though is that, if Uncle Toni has so much influence on Nadal, then how is it that he's able to write a book that basically portrays Toni as the control freak?
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2744 on: August 18, 2012, 09:41 PM »

Maybe Tony's hold on Rafa is not what it once was.  After all Rafa is now 26 and can control his own destiny. 
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 182 [183] 184 185 186 ... 231 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »