Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?

MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Rafael Nadal 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 214 [215] 216 217 218 ... 231 Go Down Reply
Author

Rafael Nadal

(Read 106164 times)
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3210 on: February 11, 2013, 08:00 PM »

That's what I mean. I wasn't suggesting that Rafa is mentally weaker, but I do think he is the most fragile in terms of his self belief and self confidence. I mean, look at the results he has had over Federer, and yet he still considers Federer better than him, or he did when he was last asked. Some would say that is just respect, but I don't know. To my mind it is lack of belief in his own ability, or total bluff, and I don't think Rafa is good at bluff. I think Rafa is someone who needs wins to build his belief in himself. I don't think he is so good at believing when the results just aren't there.

What I think Rafa has done over the years is to achieve in spite of being insecure. I'd bet really good money that no one would be more surprised than Rafa that he has won 11 slams.

As far as Andy is concerned in terms of confidence, I really do think he started out as a very confident player, but I think those major final losses chipped away at that to a point. What I think he has done, maybe with help from Lendl, is rediscover that confidence again.

Yeah....but...I think that if someone close to either Nadal, Djoko, Fed or Andy asked them which of the others they believed were better players they would answer none of them.....thats what champions believe ..that they are the best.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3211 on: February 11, 2013, 08:03 PM »

Nadal is never gonna risk his knees on the hard courts of Indian wells and Miami......clays courts only......French open will be the big target for him.
He can't really pull out of IW and Miami without an excuse so perhaps a temporary recurrence of the knee problem?  Either that or he plays and then tanks in the early rounds.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3212 on: February 12, 2013, 02:45 AM »

I dont know how anyone can suggest Rafa is mentally weaker than Andy. Rafa has won what? around 11 Slams?....Andy has won 1. Rafa also has a 12-5 h2h against Andy. Im a huge Andy fan...but to suggest that he is mentally stronger than Rafa is idiotic.
Whilst I agree with the point, the logic you use to back it up is somewhat flawed. Match-ups and player's ability also play a significant part, and Andy's respect for Rafa as well.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3213 on: February 12, 2013, 03:14 AM »

Whilst I agree with the point, the logic you use to back it up is somewhat flawed. Match-ups and player's ability also play a significant part, and Andy's respect for Rafa as well.
I just hope that Andy will now stop respecting Rafa so much and get on with the business of beating him, whether he gets back to full form fairly quickly or not, which is why I said he has to get Rafa out of his head.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3214 on: February 12, 2013, 08:08 AM »

I just hope that Andy will now stop respecting Rafa so much and get on with the business of beating him, whether he gets back to full form fairly quickly or not, which is why I said he has to get Rafa out of his head.
If I remember correctly the last time they played Andy beat him and the last set was a Bagel. Respect doesn't come into it, at least that is my opinion.
According to a twitter from Maggie May , Rusty and Maggie May are in Miami. Photo of them both on the beach with the title 'Miami Vice.'
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3215 on: February 12, 2013, 05:14 PM »

yeah...I could have written long winded logic to back it up...but couldnt be ass'd Smile

The fact is that, putting aside how highly I rate Andy and he is my fav tennis player, he has a long way to go to prove he has the strength of mentality to equal what Nadal has achieved. He has the tennis ability no doubt though.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3216 on: February 12, 2013, 05:46 PM »

TENNIS
Former world number one Rafa Nadal, who has only just returned to action after seven months out believes playing on hard surfaces will limit players' careers.

"Hard courts are aggressive on the knees, back and ankles," he said.

"To make a change like that (reduce the amount of hard court events) it won't be possible in this generation but I think that the ATP has to work to think of how to lengthen tennis players' careers. Can you imagine football players playing on cement?"

Really Rafa???.....shut the F'up!...just coz you can only compete now on Clay court doesn't mean the ATP should review the entire tennis calender! Tennis ability should be gauged across all surfaces.

And FYI Rafa ..football players have no doubt played on many surfaces.....I know I did when I played the sport.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3217 on: February 12, 2013, 06:29 PM »

Hasn't stepped many players competing well into their 30's. Federer seems to be going okay at 31, going on 32.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3218 on: February 12, 2013, 06:45 PM »

Wishful thinking there Rafa? Didn't Jimmy Connors, Andre Agassi and Pete Sampras all do better late in their careers at the USO?
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3219 on: February 12, 2013, 06:50 PM »

The interesting thing about what Nadal has to say is that a lot of the players could build a reasonable argument for saying that it's the clay season that is too long and could be cut back.

Nadal might have a point about hard courts being tough on the body, Andy has said similar things in his time, but there's no doubt that hard courts are Nadal's weakest surface, so his self interest is a tiny bit obvious.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3220 on: February 12, 2013, 07:11 PM »

Yes he loves clay and has an advantage over Andy and Nole but if he does not want to play on hard courts thats up to him. Perhaps he could play one round on hardcourts and retire, but if he wants to be number one again he will have to play on hard courts. So it will be his decision to make.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3221 on: February 12, 2013, 08:49 PM »

If I remember correctly the last time they played Andy beat him and the last set was a Bagel. Respect doesn't come into it, at least that is my opinion.
According to a twitter from Maggie May , Rusty and Maggie May are in Miami. Photo of them both on the beach with the title 'Miami Vice.'
I was really thinking about Slams here.

I'm glad though that Kim and the dogs are with him in Miami.  It must make his hard training a bit more pleasant.

Yes he loves clay and has an advantage over Andy and Nole but if he does not want to play on hard courts thats up to him. Perhaps he could play one round on hardcourts and retire, but if he wants to be number one again he will have to play on hard courts. So it will be his decision to make.
I'm sure I recall somebody saying on here that, if Nadal won every clay-court title but never played in any other tournaments, he could still remain in the top five.  However, even if that is true, I think the chances of him doing that this year at least are somewhat remote.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3222 on: February 12, 2013, 09:39 PM »

Nadal's style of tennis is suited to clay he is beatable on any other surface, by many players. He won't be No1 again....i think he is realising that...and is throwing toys out the stroller a wee bit. Many players prefer the hard courts ....track athelets perform on clay and hard cct...i dont hear them complaining.

Just get on with it Nadal!!....and stop moaning

Perhaps also some frustration that his competition has increased since his absence.
[ Last edit by ABF February 12, 2013, 09:42 PM ] IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3223 on: February 13, 2013, 03:43 PM »

I was really thinking about Slams here.

I'm glad though that Kim and the dogs are with him in Miami.  It must make his hard training a bit more pleasant.

I'm sure I recall somebody saying on here that, if Nadal won every clay-court title but never played in any other tournaments, he could still remain in the top five.  However, even if that is true, I think the chances of him doing that this year at least are somewhat remote.
With three Masters, a 500 and a Slam during the clay season alone, there's 5500 points up for grabs. Easily enough for top 5. Reaching the QFs of the other three Slams would be enough 1080 points - probably enough for top 4. He could definitely feasibly survive on just the clay season, Slams, and maybe the odd Masters.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3224 on: February 13, 2013, 03:46 PM »

With three Masters, a 500 and a Slam during the clay season alone, there's 5500 points up for grabs. Easily enough for top 5. Reaching the QFs of the other three Slams would be enough 1080 points - probably enough for top 4. He could definitely feasibly survive on just the clay season, Slams, and maybe the odd Masters.

I'm probably being thick, but wouldn't Rafa have to play all the Masters? I thought they were compulsory unless a player is 30 or over?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 212 213 214 [215] 216 217 218 ... 231 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »