Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Time TBA - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Rafael Nadal 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 228 [229] 230 231 Go Down Reply
Author

Rafael Nadal

(Read 104979 times)
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3420 on: February 02, 2014, 10:58 PM »

Didn't Novak have a mto before Andy served for the match in the final of the USO open?

He had a trainer on court massaging his poor wee tired legs
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3421 on: February 02, 2014, 11:11 PM »

And I remember how cool Andy was, hitting the ball against the backboard while waiting to serve.   I was having difficulty controlling my glass of malt.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3422 on: February 02, 2014, 11:39 PM »

Personally I think it should be a fixed rule, unless it is a dire emergency of course, that a player should only receive an MTO on their own serve. Most players have a pretty good idea if they've hurt themselves in such a way that they would need immediate attention, so I think it would work.

I'm sure certain players use these things to upset the rhythm of an opponent. I get why they might do it too. That doesn't make it right though. I think if the players were told they could only have an MTO on their own serve it would cut down the number of MTO's.

I always think Djokovic's MTO in the USO final was a blatant attempt to throw Andy off. Sure, it was a long match, and I understand him trying to get himself back in to it, but the timing of the MTO was so obvious.
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3423 on: February 03, 2014, 12:56 AM »

you're right i think.

nole called one at a bad time then too. he'd had to play a number of days/matches in a row due to weather that year in nyc, so it's quite possible he was truly cramping just as it's quite possible rafa has had injury/soreness for every mto he's taken.

still, they should've called before they served to be fair.

i agree. the rule should be changed.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3424 on: February 04, 2014, 12:00 AM »

And I remember how cool Andy was, hitting the ball against the backboard while waiting to serve.   I was having difficulty controlling my glass of malt.

Now see, why don't I have trouble controlling glasses of anything? With me it's yoghurt and stuff like that, I kid you not. During the AO semi last year I managed to miss my mouth entirely with a spoonful of yoghurt. My shoulder must have enjoyed it Smile. I still don't quite know how you can end up spilling food on to your shoulder at all, but I blame Andy Smile.

Ah, that moment when Andy was waiting to serve for the USO title! I was screaming like a mad woman at Djokovic, calling him everything, but Andy was so cool, it was priceless.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3425 on: February 05, 2014, 10:15 PM »

For anybody who's interested in Nadal's progress following his defeat/injury at the AO -

http://www.sportsworldreport.com/articles/27128/20140204/rafael-nadal-schedule-2014-atp-tour-next-tournament-buenos-aires.htm
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3426 on: February 05, 2014, 10:26 PM »

Interesting Ferrer not defending his title. Will presumably loose points.? 
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3427 on: February 05, 2014, 11:01 PM »

Interesting Ferrer not defending his title. Will presumably loose points.?  

Looks like Buenos Aires is a week earlier this year. Ferrer is not defending his title there, but playing Rio and Acapulco the next two weeks (both 500 tournaments). Points from last year: 250 from Buenos Aires and 300 from Acapulco.

Rafa has 250 points to defend from Sao Paulo last year - but it's later this year, and it looks like he's playing BA instead.
[ Last edit by Elena February 05, 2014, 11:07 PM ] IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3428 on: February 08, 2014, 09:41 PM »

Interesting take on the Booing at the AO:

http://www.backpagelead.com.au/index.php/tennis/12098-why-i-wanted-to-boo-nadal-too
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3429 on: February 08, 2014, 09:57 PM »

Fascinating article. Sums up the less pleasant facets of his playing strategy beautifully. Says things that should have been said long ago.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3430 on: February 08, 2014, 10:08 PM »

Thanks Janet.  Very interesting.  Also I'd forgotten about the painful foot having to be numbed scenario!  That's one of the things I like about Aussie sports enthusiasts - they aren't afraid to show or voice their feelings when they consider it necessary, unlike the French who boo players at the drop of a hat whether it's deserved or not.

Fascinating article. Sums up the less pleasant facets of his playing strategy beautifully. Says things that should have been said long ago.
Unfortunately I doubt the tennis authorities will pay much attention to this article, and dismiss it as simply being a load of hot Australian air.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3431 on: February 08, 2014, 10:26 PM »

It's time the tennis referees all and I mean all players conform to the time limit between points and not let the usual suspects get away with it. Nadal is just another player and not god. He gets away with murder and it is time that he should be made to conform to the rules, and if Uncle Toni doesn't like it he does not have to attend his matches.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3432 on: February 08, 2014, 10:47 PM »

He gets away with murder
Doubt it. Think
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3433 on: February 08, 2014, 10:57 PM »

I have to say I still think Nadal did have a genuine problem in the AO final. It struck me as crying wolf once too often.

Didn't Nadal once shake hands with Andy during a match at the AO? I'm sure one year Andy was beating him convincingly when he suddenly shook hands out of nowhere and with no obvious injury.

Nadal does use MTO's etc as a means of halting opponents momentum. He's well known for time-wasting as well. I've already mentioned what I think should happen about misuse of MTO's, which is that a player should only be able to have an MTO on their own serve, unless of course the situation is clearly dire. The rule should apply to all players, including the worst offenders, Nadal and Djokovic.

As far as the time is concerned, I think there needs to be a two-fold approach. Firstly I think the time allowed between points should be made the same in the slams and the ATP events. At the moment it is different. Within that they should increase the amount of time allowed to 30 seconds, to give players time to recover after long rallies, particularly relevant when Djokovic and Andy meet.

The second thing they need to do about the time rule is get very specific with players who break the rules repeatedly. Take Nadal for example, imagine if an umpire had the balls (no pun intended) to say to him, perhaps after one warning, 'Mr. Nadal the rules apply to you the same as everyone else, point penalty!' If umpires made it quite clear they know certain players play the rules for their own ends it would stop.

The article did make me smile in its portrayal as Federer as whiter than white, so maybe the subject for a future piece should deal with how players deal with opponents and officials.
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3434 on: February 08, 2014, 11:24 PM »

You're welcome. A friend sent it to me and I just thought it was an interesting counter to some of the articles that criticized the crowds for booing so thought I'd share.

teejay1, I agree the time between points should be the same for slams and ATP events. Then the rule should be enforced as needed. I also agree that 20 seconds does seem a bit low. 25 seems better.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 228 [229] 230 231 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »