Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Rafael Nadal 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 229 [230] 231 Go Down Reply
Author

Rafael Nadal

(Read 108589 times)
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3435 on: February 08, 2014, 11:25 PM »

Didn't Novak have a mto before Andy served for the match in the final of the USO open?

I think I called him every name under the sun when he did that. I was glad the crowd started booing.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3436 on: February 08, 2014, 11:26 PM »

I have to say I still think Nadal did have a genuine problem in the AO final. It struck me as crying wolf once too often.

Didn't Nadal once shake hands with Andy during a match at the AO? I'm sure one year Andy was beating him convincingly when he suddenly shook hands out of nowhere and with no obvious injury.
I couldn't decide whether Nadal was genuinely injured or just downright frustrated, but if he was injured then it certainly was a case of cry wolf.

Have just checked, and that incident happened in the QF of the 2010 AO when Andy was two sets and 3-0 up in the third.  Nadal did take a 5 min MTO to have his knee treated, went back on court, and the next thing we knew he was shaking hands at the net.  Andy, bless him, said he felt 'gutted' for Nadal because he's a player he'd always looked up to.

I think I called him every name under the sun when he did that. I was glad the crowd started booing.
Me too.  It was such a blatant attempt at gamesmanship that I've never forgiven him for it.  Fortunately Andy refused to let himself get distracted and started hitting the ball against the boarding at the back of the court until Djokovic returned. 
[ Last edit by Aileen February 08, 2014, 11:38 PM ] IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3437 on: February 08, 2014, 11:33 PM »

Nadal was injured during the final ,people who differ should put their prejudice,s about Rafa to one side and let their eyes rule their heart.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3438 on: February 09, 2014, 11:13 AM »

My sister who was a avid fan of Nadal and always 'poo-poo'd' my thoughts.  She is now becoming more convinced that he is up to something.  She felt the AO final was bizarre and that he probably was injured but as bad as he was making out.  She is also wondering about his frequent times out with injuries no one seems to be able to agree on.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3439 on: February 09, 2014, 02:20 PM »

Thanks for the link Janet! I agree wholeheartedly.......injured or not!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3440 on: February 09, 2014, 08:44 PM »

As far as the time is concerned, I think there needs to be a two-fold approach. Firstly I think the time allowed between points should be made the same in the slams and the ATP events. At the moment it is different. Within that they should increase the amount of time allowed to 30 seconds, to give players time to recover after long rallies, particularly relevant when Djokovic and Andy meet.
I agree TJ.  Icould be wrong, but I thought that umpires were allowed to use their discretion re players who had just played long rallies in Slams provided they exceeded a certain number of shots.  Maybe it's just an unwritten rule though and so inevitably some umpires will be prepared to be a little more flexible than others.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3441 on: February 17, 2014, 06:31 PM »

Nadal is back but knows 'opportunities are not infinite'  [Fox Sports, 17 Feb]

Rafael Nadal is back, and it's all about his back.

Top-ranked Nadal injured his back warming up for the final of the Australian Open almost three weeks ago, eventually losing against Stanislas Wawrinka — a match he was an overwhelming favorite to win.

Nadal has practiced little since then, getting treatment at home in Mallorca. His first test comes in next week's Rio Open, a new stop on the ATP Tour.

''We'll have to see how it goes,'' he said Friday. ''I hope I can tolerate it.''

Nadal knows the clock is ticking. He made a comeback last season from a left knee injury, which kept him out of the 2012 London Olympics.

He's won 13 Grand Slams. He's one behind Pete Sampras, and he's closing in on Roger Federer's record of 17. He's sure one got away in Australia.

''In Australia, I lost a good opportunity to add another Grand Slam,'' Nadal said. ''It didn't happen. The opportunities are not infinite. They have an expiration date.''

Nadal has played more than 11 years as a professional, perhaps sustaining some injuries because of his big swings and attacking temperament.

''I heard a lot of times in my career that I will have a shorter career because of my style of game,'' he said. ''I really think it's something that will not happen. If I stopped today, I already will have more than 11 years on tour.''

The Spaniard said he's still motivated, positive about the 2014 season.

''I cannot predict the future for how long I will be here competing well,'' he said. ''I can't say when that's going to end. The only thing I can say is today I feel happy about what I am doing. I am feeling motivation mentally to keep playing, to keep competing well.''

He'll be 30 when the 2016 Rio Olympics begin. He called winning gold in the 2008 Beijing Olympics ''one of the best experiences'' of his career.

''It was a very hard moment for me when I made the decision not to play the Olympic Games in London,'' Nadal said. ''After that, I always say my goal is to arrive to the 2016 Olympic Games here in Rio.''

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/dcsg2?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=tennis
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3442 on: February 21, 2014, 09:34 AM »

Interesting.......Thanks Aileen! I'm still wondering though, if his back injury occurred 'before' he stepped out on court, would he have been entitled to the medical time out for treatment during that match? Also if the back injury 'did' occur during the warmup, then why did he arrive already wearing strapping under his shirt? Also....why did he insist on being treated off court and then 'make such a big thing' of coming back on court shirtless after the treatment? Hmmm...... Think
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3443 on: June 20, 2014, 03:07 AM »

http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/esmagazine/rafael-nadal-when-the-ball-comes-into-my-forehand-i-am-better-than-andy-murray-9548865.html

Can he beat reigning Wimbledon champ Andy Murray? He winces a little. ‘His serve is better than mine. His backhand is better than mine. We both have good movement but maybe, when the ball comes to my forehand, I am better.’ Now that Murray has signed up Amélie Mauresmo as a coach, and talked of her bringing out a new sensitive side to his game, is this a good time to play him? ‘Listen, I know Mauresmo as a person but not as a coach. I don’t know what she will do for Andy but I’m sure he has a very good reason for working with her. It is never a good time to play Andy. I would rather be against someone easier.’

Off court, Nadal and Murray are pals. Nadal’s publicist thinks they bonded because Catalans and Scots have so much in common. (Nadal prank-texted Murray recently, when he found himself in the same restaurant as the Scot. ‘Oh my God, Andy, you look so sexy tonight. It’s a shame you’re here with your girlfriend.’)

------------------

Do we? It's news to me. I think the Catalan press think their desire for independence is similar to the debate in Scotland. It isn't.
[ Last edit by IonaRed June 20, 2014, 03:15 AM ] IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3444 on: June 20, 2014, 06:42 AM »

Lol such false modesty! Nadal has one of the best forehands ever. That "prank" in the restaurant happened years ago too.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3445 on: June 20, 2014, 08:46 AM »

I think Nadal is genuine about his respect for Andy's game. I think it's respectful for Nadal to say that he's better on the forehand (a statement of fact) rather than bragging about it being one of the best ever, which would sound arrogant. It's equally respectful to acknowledge that Andy's backhand and serve are better than his.

I think Nadal is very aware of Andy's ability to beat him. In a weird sort of way it's almost complimentary to Andy that Nadal knows he has to bring his very best to beat him.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3446 on: June 20, 2014, 10:39 AM »

I agree TJ.  Rafa is always respectful of Andy and always goes out of his way to say what a great person Andy is - I sometimes wonder if he's been aware of the ambivalence towards Andy in Britain (England?) in the past (and still to some extent) and has gone out of his way to say what a good guy he is.  I know some people put this down to a twisted form of gamesmanship but I think it's genuine and much prefer it to the kind of gamesmanship smugfed plays with Andy.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3447 on: June 20, 2014, 11:21 AM »

I agree TJ.  Rafa is always respectful of Andy and always goes out of his way to say what a great person Andy is - I sometimes wonder if he's been aware of the ambivalence towards Andy in Britain (England?) in the past (and still to some extent) and has gone out of his way to say what a good guy he is.  I know some people put this down to a twisted form of gamesmanship but I think it's genuine and much prefer it to the kind of gamesmanship smugfed plays with Andy.

The funny thing for me is that if I'm 100% honest I'm only marginally more keen on Nadal than Federer. In truth, I wouldn't trust Nadal any further than I could throw him in many ways, but I do think he's genuinely respectful of Andy. I think Nadal respects Andy in a way that he doesn't show to many other players. I mean, look how Nadal behaved when he played Rosol at Wimbledon in 2012. There was one stage in the match when Nadal literally shoved Rosol out of his way on a change of ends. Would Nadal do that to Andy? No, I don't think he would, no matter what position he was in in a match.

I do think there is a sense that Nadal can see what Britain has got in Andy, but Britain, at least some people in Britain, still refuse to see it. I also think Nadal speaks of Andy with genuine warmth, more so than Djokovic to be honest, who, at least I think, has given lip service to any sort of idea of any kind of friendship between them - not that this is necessarily bad in the context of competing.

I genuinely think Nadal is wary of Andy's game as well, in spite of the head to head. Look at the way Andy played Nadal in 2008 at the USO. When you think about it, that was Andy's first major semi final, and he'd lost to Nadal in straights in the quarter finals of Wimbledon that year. To come out and play the way Andy did was remarkable really, even just from watching the highlights you can see how well Andy played. Nadal might be many things, but I don't think he is daft when it comes to the game. I think he'd have sussed out pretty quickly how good Andy was, and how good he was likely to become.

I don't think Nadal indulges in the sort of petty gamesmanship that Federer does. Nadal's time-wasting, his constant fiddling, is one of his ways of getting to an opponent, to try to upset their rhythm I think. Federer just plays mind game with people. Some of his putdowns about Andy have been downright nasty. Nadal might be many things, but I don't think he would go out of his way to be deliberately nasty to an opponent.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3448 on: June 20, 2014, 12:34 PM »

It's the word "maybe" I was taking issue with.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3449 on: June 30, 2014, 01:12 PM »

Seems Fedal are on the verge of breaking up. With Fed doing his usual sniping in press conferences, Rafa has now hit back

http://www.tennisworldusa.org/Rafael-Nadal-responds-to-Roger-Federer-I-am-tired-of-always-hearing-the-same-things-articolo18838.html
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 229 [230] 231 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »