Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Andrey Kuznetsov, Saturday, Estimated time - 5:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Rafael Nadal 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 185 [186] 187 188 189 ... 231 Go Down Reply
Author

Rafael Nadal

(Read 102370 times)
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2775 on: August 20, 2012, 05:29 PM »

I think both Federer fans and the media who seem to adore (understatement) Federer and hate Nadal for ruining Federer's GOAT status will be very much into spreading these sorts of rumours.

I too think Nadal’s camp....

I just have major difficulties accepting that whatever the problem with Nadal's knees is, people can predict fairly accurately, that the problems will be magically sorted by the start of the clay court season. There also never seem to be any signs of lameness or problems when he is playing. It is only cited as an issue after he has lost. I did read that if a racehorse had tendinitis, it would be shot, and certainly couldn't race again. Whilst I obviously do not think humans should be shot, (by that criteria I would not have survived very long at all), I simply can't see how he could continue to play at such a high level - particularly with multiple different problems.

But isn’t there a rumour about Federer doping as well? I mean how this guy stays this fit for this long is a question itself too, no?

I have heard or read the odd comment, but have not come across any info that I find completely persuasive. His body form doesn't make me suspicious. Nadal's does.  His long injury free spells and energy levels might well indicate something, but the jury is still well out on that for me.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2776 on: August 20, 2012, 05:35 PM »

I don't think we should be giving credence to such rumours unless there is strong evidence.  Think how angry we'd be if people were circulating such rumours about Andy. 
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2777 on: August 20, 2012, 05:36 PM »

Remember when Andy was put through the rumour mill? I didn't like it, did anyone else?
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2778 on: August 20, 2012, 05:44 PM »

Exactly sn.
Also given they're tested daily for doping how could a tennis player get away with it?
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2779 on: August 20, 2012, 05:48 PM »

Exactly sn.
Also given they're tested daily for doping how could a tennis player get away with it?

Apparently Agassi did.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2780 on: August 20, 2012, 06:32 PM »

I don't think we should be giving credence to such rumours unless there is strong evidence.  Think how angry we'd be if people were circulating such rumours about Andy. 
I was thinking this. And I don't believe this hogwash about Novak or Nadal for a minute. Both are exceptional sportsmen with amazing levels of fitness. They put themselves through it day in, day out. Andy's fitness is on a similar level - why is no-one questioning him?

It's ridiculous and to accuse them of it with absolutely nothing substantial at all is a bit out of order.

Even speculating about it feels wrong but I guess that's always going to happen.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2781 on: August 20, 2012, 08:40 PM »

Apparently Agassi did.

In a different era of the sport- there is a lot more importance put on anti-doping these days
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2782 on: August 20, 2012, 09:19 PM »

I must admit I did wonder about this when Nadal first broke onto the scene, the bulk of his arms and legs seemed unnatural for a guy of his age.  Novaks seemingly sudden rise in level also could realisicaly give rise to suspicion.  However knowing how Andy complains about the amount of dope testing which goes on I cannot see how anyone could get away with it.  Federer I think has just been lucky (lets face it he does seem to live a charmed life) and all the comms talk about the way he plays not putting the pressure on his body. Anyway people that arrogant tend to be wimps and he wouldnt have the bottle.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2783 on: August 20, 2012, 09:43 PM »

I must admit I did wonder about this when Nadal first broke onto the scene, the bulk of his arms and legs seemed unnatural for a guy of his age. 

Rafa has also always said he doesn't do gyms. So how do you achieve biceps like that without crunching iron?
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2784 on: August 20, 2012, 09:47 PM »

Check out the last three paragraphs of this Bodo article, posted when Nadal withdrew from the 06 Aussie Open:

http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2006/01/scoping_doping.html

And this guy is on a witch-hunt:

http://tennishasasteroidproblem.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/curious-case-of-rafael-nadal.html
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2785 on: August 20, 2012, 10:33 PM »

As someone who suffers from extreme chronic pain that is variable day by day then I say it's quite possible to have an ongoing health issue that means you can be fine one day and wrose on others. I think in Rafa's case you can study when he's had issues and be able to cite exhaustion and the wear of his schedule. He's had a good year this year with a lot of work in and I think with his knee's it#s just the sort of thing that flares up and can be fine for a while and then get worse.
There's never be any proof to any of these rumours and most these journalists and critics seem jealous and unable to fathom that these players can actually play tennis that is out of this world.
Take last year for Nole- rumours and speculation of doping because he had a stunning year 'out of the blue' when in fact those of us watching tennis week in week out were seeing a difference in attitude on and off-court towards his tennis.
The same can be said about Andy in this years Wimbledon and Olympics, his entire game moved up a gear with his attitude and confidence at an all time high- so should we be speculating about him and doping? Rolling Eyes

I'm not saying it doesn't happen but I hate that for every injury or withdrawal there's speculation of substance abuse; that every time a player achieves a major victory in spectacular fashion then the same happens.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2786 on: August 21, 2012, 02:34 AM »

I wonder if Fed has ever been accused of doping - GOAT tag and all that? Think
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2787 on: August 21, 2012, 04:21 AM »

Check out the last three paragraphs of this Bodo article, posted when Nadal withdrew from the 06 Aussie Open:
http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2006/01/scoping_doping.html
That was really interesting.. especially when he said this:

'First of all, at this site I am a blogger—an opinion journalist and commentator. I have neither the mandate nor the responsibility to deal strictly and exclusively with facts and/or the thoughts or opinions of others about those facts...'

Have stumbled on this before, but mine eyes doth hurt too much at this site's unspeakable use of black text upon a grey backgound. But I can put on some sunglasses it you want me to pick the blue highlighted parts apart.Very Happy
IP Logged
craighateslife
Challenger Level

Gotta eat Protein

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2788 on: August 21, 2012, 09:21 AM »

* A0p4lZUCUAEI4Ca.jpg (38.29 KB, 388x521 - viewed 110 times.)
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2789 on: August 21, 2012, 09:23 AM »

Re Hazybears comments. It is interesting to see these different viewpoints. I to suffer from chronic pain and knackered joints, and have done for many years, and for me it is that experience, that triggers a lot of my suspicions. Whilst I can have good days from time to time, they are not predictable. Also they tend to be for a few days, rather than weeks or months. A period of more exertion than usual means I frequently can barely walk subsequently.
I have now reached the point, where I sometimes temper my activity, simply because I can't face the potential consequences of overdoing it.
Whilst I appreciate RN is much younger than and infinitely fitter, (this still applied when I was his age), not to mention a highly skilled tennis player. I can't get my head round the fact he seems to be able to guarantee that he won't be in a flare up or have problems sufficient to impede him during the whole of the clay court season.

Perhaps my view is inevitably skewed by my own experiences?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 185 [186] 187 188 189 ... 231 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »