Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Rafael Nadal 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 186 [187] 188 189 190 ... 230 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Rafael Nadal  (Read 97058 times)
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2790 on: August 21, 2012, 10:13 AM »

Re Hazybears comments. It is interesting to see these different viewpoints. I to suffer from chronic pain and knackered joints, and have done for many years, and for me it is that experience, that triggers a lot of my suspicions. Whilst I can have good days from time to time, they are not predictable. Also they tend to be for a few days, rather than weeks or months. A period of more exertion than usual means I frequently can barely walk subsequently.
I have now reached the point, where I sometimes temper my activity, simply because I can't face the potential consequences of overdoing it.
Whilst I appreciate RN is much younger than and infinitely fitter, (this still applied when I was his age), not to mention a highly skilled tennis player. I can't get my head round the fact he seems to be able to guarantee that he won't be in a flare up or have problems sufficient to impede him during the whole of the clay court season.

Perhaps my view is inevitably skewed by my own experiences?

You could argue that the clay season is kinder on the body. The timings do seem rather strange, though.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2791 on: August 21, 2012, 10:21 AM »

I just don't like people speculating and spreading rumours that have yet to be backed by any evidence other than suspicion and on a topic that could be so damaging to a sportsperson's career.

After all the rest of us don't go around worrying that if we work hard to be the best at what we do that we'll suddenly be suspected of being up to no good and cheating just because we work hard and are better than someone else.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2792 on: August 21, 2012, 10:22 AM »

You could argue that the clay season is kinder on the body. The timings do seem rather strange, though.

Weather and temperature can also factor in cases like these- I know I'm worse in the cold, others with imflammation are worse in heat Shrug maybe that could be a contributing factor too.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2793 on: August 21, 2012, 10:37 AM »

I think Rafa's said before that he plays with pain throughout the clay season. I think he pushes himself through those months because he knows that's where the bulk of his ranking points come from. He can't afford to skip events there to have treatment.

If he's doping (which I don't believe) then he must be using some good drugs for it not to be picked up in any of the drugs tests they do. I don't believe this talk about a 'silent ban' either - the penalty for performance-enhancing drugs is 2 years, and he's only going to be out for a couple of months if the reports of him returning at the Davis Cup in September are true.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2794 on: August 21, 2012, 10:39 AM »

Weather and temperature can also factor in cases like these- I know I'm worse in the cold, others with imflammation are worse in heat Shrug maybe that could be a contributing factor too.
Very true. I am better in heat, but the change of seasons, both ways invariably mean I am in for a rough couple of weeks.
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2795 on: August 21, 2012, 11:24 AM »

Also have to remember that Rafa probably has some of the best physiotherapists and medical care you can get 24/7 and on top of that he plays most of his matches with cortisone injections so it can be managed well enough for long periods of time. The question is what sort of long term effects this will have... I'm scared to even think.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2796 on: August 21, 2012, 01:41 PM »

Rafa has definitely maybe taken steroids, and is faking injury. I saw him quad biking in Majorca the other day.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2797 on: August 21, 2012, 02:26 PM »

Definitely maybe?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0832266/
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2798 on: August 21, 2012, 06:40 PM »

I think Rafa's said before that he plays with pain throughout the clay season. I think he pushes himself through those months because he knows that's where the bulk of his ranking points come from. He can't afford to skip events there to have treatment.

If he's doping (which I don't believe) then he must be using some good drugs for it not to be picked up in any of the drugs tests they do. I don't believe this talk about a 'silent ban' either - the penalty for performance-enhancing drugs is 2 years, and he's only going to be out for a couple of months if the reports of him returning at the Davis Cup in September are true.

A doctor friend of mine told me that there are some performance enhancing drugs that are highly undetectable and only high level doctors, who specialize these types of drugs, can prescribe those but only under certain rules and certain conditions/circumstances etc. Another thing is, while there are a lot more tests than ever before, we have no way of knowing how reliable they are. In any case, anyone who is rich would have easier access to these sorts of drugs or at least anyone who has the right connection.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2799 on: August 21, 2012, 07:39 PM »

A doctor friend of mine told me that there are some performance enhancing drugs that are highly undetectable and only high level doctors, who specialize these types of drugs, can prescribe those but only under certain rules and certain conditions/circumstances etc. Another thing is, while there are a lot more tests than ever before, we have no way of knowing how reliable they are. In any case, anyone who is rich would have easier access to these sorts of drugs or at least anyone who has the right connection.

Okay we get it- you want one of the top men in the sport to be cheating Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2800 on: August 21, 2012, 07:54 PM »

Okay we get it- you want one of the top men in the sport to be cheating Rolling Eyes

It's really sad isn't it, given these guys work so hard and are heroes to so many kids. People have too much time on their hands to conjure crap about others in a more fortunate place.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2801 on: August 21, 2012, 08:27 PM »

That's not I want at all. I'd rather Nadal is very, very safe and I don't believe he's on drugs or anything. I believe sometimes he can't take some of the losses and he needs time to sit it out. I don't think there's more to it.

My post has nothing to do with that.  There happens to be drugs that are undetectable (this is by a doctor’s own admission) and the process they use to do the tests, we don’t know how reliable they are either. If one rule applies to Nadal then same rule is applied to each and every player. It’s as simple as that.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2802 on: August 21, 2012, 08:30 PM »

It's really sad isn't it, given these guys work so hard and are heroes to so many kids. People have too much time on their hands to conjure crap about others in a more fortunate place.

Educate yourself.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=players%20banned%20becasue%20of%20substance%20use&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CFkQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FList_of_doping_cases_in_sport&ei=kOEzUPK4EIPC0QHW9IDgDQ&usg=AFQjCNGhZksxPFvDjZuae4DPHoXL4wZSGg
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2803 on: August 21, 2012, 08:55 PM »

I don't think any of us want any sportsman/woman of any discipline to be caught cheating, but given the rewards available for major success, not to mention the financial rewards in a sport like tennis, it would be naive to assume that it doesn't happen. It does - there have been documented and proven cases of sportsman, including tennis players, being caught. Surely it is better and more honest to be able to have an open discussion about such issues than bury our heads in the sand and be completely closed to any possibility. That way plays into the hands of anyone not playing by the rules.  I have not said that Nadal, or NJ are cheating. I have no evidence to be able to say that. What I have said, is that based on my own observations, there are things that make me suspicious, to the extent that I personally would not be surprised. Other people may and do have different views or interpretation of the situation. It doesn't make me right or wrong, or them right or wrong. However I do find it sad that people can't accept alternative views without being derisory.
That's my last word on the subject, but apologies if I have offended anyone, that has not been my intent. I merely think is is an important issue in any sport these days, and as such a subject worthy of debate.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2804 on: August 21, 2012, 08:57 PM »

I don't think any of us want any sportsman/woman of any discipline to be caught cheating, but given the rewards available for major success, not to mention the financial rewards in a sport like tennis, it would be naive to assume that it doesn't happen. It does - there have been documented and proven cases of sportsman, including tennis players, being caught. Surely it is better and more honest to be able to have an open discussion about such issues than bury our heads in the sand and be completely closed to any possibility. That way plays into the hands of anyone not playing by the rules.  I have not said that Nadal, or NJ are cheating. I have no evidence to be able to say that. What I have said, is that based on my own observations, there are things that make me suspicious, to the extent that I personally would not be surprised. Other people may and do have different views or interpretation of the situation. It doesn't make me right or wrong, or them right or wrong. However I do find it sad that people can't accept alternative views without being derisory.
That's my last word on the subject, but apologies if I have offended anyone, that has not been my intent. I merely think is is an important issue in any sport these days, and as such a subject worthy of debate.

Very true on all counts.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 186 [187] 188 189 190 ... 230 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »