Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Rafael Nadal 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 191 [192] 193 194 195 ... 231 Go Down Reply
Author

Rafael Nadal

(Read 100671 times)
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2865 on: December 28, 2012, 10:08 PM »

There's plenty of theories out there, but I want to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I don't want go through another Agassi-like disillusionment. I see parallels of Agassi/father and Nadal/Uncle Toni.

His training would be no doubt hindered due to the virus, but I just wish he could have turned up for AO anyway.. even if it meant an early defeat. No-one would expect him to be back in form, and that could put a lot of talk to bed.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2866 on: December 28, 2012, 10:12 PM »

Yeah, he,s making himself looking a bit of a dope....oops!
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2867 on: December 28, 2012, 10:13 PM »

Yeah. Either there's some substance to the silent ban idea - and I hope not - or there's more to his mentality and attitude to the game than we know about. I read his autobiography and, to me, the only difference between Agassi's bold statement - 'I hate tennis' - and Nadal's words was that at no point did Rafa explicitly say 'I hate tennis'.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2868 on: December 28, 2012, 10:16 PM »

Had he been found guilty of doping, would he not have been stripped of his titles? Or would that be killing the golden goose?
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2869 on: December 28, 2012, 10:17 PM »

Don't know if you read the article I posted, but this really stood out to me and made me sad:

Two hours after his seventh French Open title, we sat alone in the grandstand of Court Philipe Chatrier when Nadal walked out with an army of family members. Photographs were taken with the trophy.

When it was all done and cloud-dusted, when Nadal had finished contemplating the empty arena for memory's sake, and after the high-heeled shoes of his mother and girlfriend had stopped boring holes into the surface, he stood back so that everyone else could vacate the premises first. And then when he thought no one was looking, he still went out of his way to avoid stepping on the lines.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2870 on: December 28, 2012, 10:18 PM »

Had he been found guilty of doping, would he not have been stripped of his titles? Or would that be killing the golden goose?
Agassi?
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2871 on: December 28, 2012, 10:20 PM »

Don't know if you read the article I posted, but this really stood out to me and made me sad:

Two hours after his seventh French Open title, we sat alone in the grandstand of Court Philipe Chatrier when Nadal walked out with an army of family members. Photographs were taken with the trophy.

When it was all done and cloud-dusted, when Nadal had finished contemplating the empty arena for memory's sake, and after the high-heeled shoes of his mother and girlfriend had stopped boring holes into the surface, he stood back so that everyone else could vacate the premises first. And then when he thought no one was looking, he still went out of his way to avoid stepping on the lines.

I read the article. Rafa always makes me feel sad. I feel that he isn't very happy.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2872 on: December 28, 2012, 10:20 PM »

Yeah, he,s making himself looking a bit of a dope....oops!
  whip
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2873 on: December 28, 2012, 10:21 PM »

Maybe he prefers sniffing the lines.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2874 on: December 28, 2012, 10:23 PM »

OMFG I can't believe you just said that! But thanks for making me laugh.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2875 on: December 28, 2012, 10:24 PM »

You can always rely on Robbie for some true gravitas when things get heavy.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2876 on: December 28, 2012, 10:34 PM »

Indeed.

* what you talkin about.jpg (49.94 KB, 500x667 - viewed 142 times.)
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2877 on: December 28, 2012, 10:36 PM »

nah
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2878 on: December 29, 2012, 01:30 AM »

I am reading two things out of what Nadal has said so far:

1. He will only play if he's fit.
2. If he plays, he's not expecting to win (of course this lengthy break aside, he's been known to put the pressure back on to someone else even when he's super fit)

So if he plays, he will have to play those mandatory events as well. So my guess would be that he will skip AO and all related tournaments afterwards and start with clay season.

He's definitely keeping his both options open. Let's see what happens.

Nadal's withdrawal is not too surprising for me. Katie said right after my post that she'd be very surprised if Nadal withdrew and now, here it is. Surprise! lol
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2879 on: December 29, 2012, 02:42 AM »

You can always rely on Robbie for some true gravitas when things get heavy.
Indeed! Very Happy  Anyway I agree that something just isn't right here, that there's something we aren't being told about.

No I don't go along with the silent drug ban theory, but I do feel that his knee problem could be much worse than he's letting on, and he did say the other day that "the injury hasn't healed properly".  However he also added to that statement the fact that he was nervous about how it would stand up to playing [in Abu Dhabi], which suggests an understandable psychological problem and one which a lot of sports persons have to deal with following serious injury. 
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 191 [192] 193 194 195 ... 231 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »