Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Rafael Nadal 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 192 [193] 194 195 196 ... 231 Go Down Reply
Author

Rafael Nadal

(Read 104908 times)
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2880 on: December 29, 2012, 01:11 PM »

Nadal's withdrawal is not too surprising for me. Katie said right after my post that she'd be very surprised if Nadal withdrew and now, here it is. Surprise! lol
Good predicting Emma Jean! I was surprised (by the Abu Dhabi & Doha withdrawals) as I believed the Rafa camp when they said his recovery was going well. But from the rumours going round it seems that that's not the case. I'm wondering whether he'll actually have to resort to surgery in the end if his knee isn't responding after having so much rest. This reminds me a lot of the Delpo situation - he delayed surgery for months in the hope that his wrist would recover.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2881 on: December 29, 2012, 02:51 PM »

I don't know what to make of Rafa now. I'm sure that a stomach bug could hamper training, especially when you have already been out of the game for months, but even so, it all adds to the speculation I suppose.

The problem is that I think the whole situation has been handled quite badly. Now, Rafa is entitled to privacy, don't get me wrong, but right from the start there does seem to have been a number of mixed messages coming from those around him about the nature of his injury. Now there is this. It's bound to add fuel to the fire.

I've never subscribed to the silent ban theory, but I must admit I can see where people might get that idea from.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2882 on: December 29, 2012, 03:22 PM »

I really don't understand this tbh.    A stomach bug ?    forcing a professional tennis player out of grand slam  ?     This whole situation is just a mess.   I think maybe the apparant stomach bug is just nadal talk  for  "bad knees"     
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2883 on: December 30, 2012, 02:02 AM »

I don't know what to make of Rafa now. I'm sure that a stomach bug could hamper training, especially when you have already been out of the game for months, but even so, it all adds to the speculation I suppose.

The problem is that I think the whole situation has been handled quite badly. Now, Rafa is entitled to privacy, don't get me wrong, but right from the start there does seem to have been a number of mixed messages coming from those around him about the nature of his injury. Now there is this. It's bound to add fuel to the fire.

I've never subscribed to the silent ban theory, but I must admit I can see where people might get that idea from.
I agree.  Nadal's PR people have done a pretty bad job throughout all this.

I really don't understand this tbh.    A stomach bug ?    forcing a professional tennis player out of grand slam  ?     This whole situation is just a mess.   I think maybe the apparant stomach bug is just nadal talk  for  "bad knees"     
John - if a player has been out for months with an injury, do you seriously think he wants to make his comeback at a Slam?  If Nadal really does have a stomach bug and can't even play in Doha, then there's absolutely no point in him turning up in Melbourne.  Even if he had been able to play AD and Doha he'd still have been a bit under-cooked for Melbourne.  Not only that it could take him long enough to get his confidence back.  Look at Delpo, for example.  It took him a year before he began to get back to being anywhere near the player he was before his wrist injury - and I'm not one of those who thinks his USO win was a fluke either. 
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2884 on: December 30, 2012, 07:03 AM »

Same feelings...
IP Logged
Tasmanian Devil
Challenger Level

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2885 on: January 28, 2013, 05:08 PM »

This reminds me a lot of the Delpo situation

I wonder if he has talked to Delpo at all about this.  He is the best guy to ask right now about coming back after a long lay off.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2886 on: January 28, 2013, 05:14 PM »

I heard a rumour Nadal has replaced his knees and this procudure apparently takes about 6 to 8 months to fully recover. It varies person to person but that's the approximate time.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2887 on: January 28, 2013, 05:51 PM »

It was interesting to hear John Lloyd and Andrew Castle talking about Rafa briefly during Andy's semi with Smugfed. They didn't appear to buy into the stomach virus idea anymore than anyone else. They seemed to think that Rafa's knees are worse than he wanted to say.

I probably shouldn't say this, but I'm now at a point where I will believe Rafa is coming back to the game when he actually comes back. It's right, of course, that he should only come back when he is fit to play, but to my mind Rafa's team should have just said something along those lines, i.e. 'he'll be back when he is ready and not before', rather than this constant thing of saying he is coming back on such and such a time and then pulling out of tournaments.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2888 on: January 28, 2013, 05:56 PM »

The stomach virus was the lamest I have ever heard. Obviously there's more to it than that.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2889 on: January 28, 2013, 06:08 PM »

Rafa and Uncle Toni are currently in Chile for the Vina Del Mar tournie. He's scheduled to play dubs with Juan Monaco on 5th Feb, and his opening round singles match on 6th.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2890 on: January 28, 2013, 06:34 PM »

It was interesting to hear John Lloyd and Andrew Castle talking about Rafa briefly during Andy's semi with Smugfed. They didn't appear to buy into the stomach virus idea anymore than anyone else. They seemed to think that Rafa's knees are worse than he wanted to say.

I probably shouldn't say this, but I'm now at a point where I will believe Rafa is coming back to the game when he actually comes back. It's right, of course, that he should only come back when he is fit to play, but to my mind Rafa's team should have just said something along those lines, i.e. 'he'll be back when he is ready and not before', rather than this constant thing of saying he is coming back on such and such a time and then pulling out of tournaments.
Yes I recall Castle and Lloyd saying that too and though it was very interesting.  I too will believe Nadal is back when he actually comes back and think the whole thing has been badly mismanaged by his team because it's given rise to all sorts of rumours, although I suppose it's inevitable that there would have been some speculation anyway.  Also it wasn't just the time factor they messed up on but just exactly what the problem was, and s far as I can remember there have been three different explanations as to this.

I heard a rumour Nadal has replaced his knees and this procudure apparently takes about 6 to 8 months to fully recover. It varies person to person but that's the approximate time.
There we go - another rumour, although it wouldn't surprise me if this one is true, and also it fits the time scale perfectly.  It would also fit in with Nadal's own statement, made shortly before his withdrawal from Aby Dhabi, that 'the injury hadn't yet fully healed.'

The stomach virus was the lamest I have ever heard. Obviously there's more to it than that.
One of the oldest excuses in the book that.  In fact I used it myself occasionally when I fancied a couple of days off work, because nobody, unless they're close to the person, can really know for certain whether it's true or not. 
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2891 on: January 28, 2013, 06:37 PM »

Replaced his knees? You're saying you can be a pro tennis player on PLASTIC KNEES? I think it's unlikely.

After years of bad tennis technique, I have arthritis in my elbow. I was told I would eventually need a new elbow and that I would have 20% of the strength of a real elbow, at best.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2892 on: January 28, 2013, 06:43 PM »

VTR tournie should be interesting to see how he performs on clay again.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2893 on: January 28, 2013, 06:46 PM »

Replaced his knees? You're saying you can be a pro tennis player on PLASTIC KNEES? I think it's unlikely.

After years of bad tennis technique, I have arthritis in my elbow. I was told I would eventually need a new elbow and that I would have 20% of the strength of a real elbow, at best.
  Quite apart from that, there's no way that could be kept totally under wraps. Good story though!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2894 on: January 28, 2013, 06:48 PM »

If Nadal has had to have his knees replaced I would imagine that is it, career over. I couldn't see him playing like that, especially in this era, and especially considering how he plays.

It's hard to know now what is true and what is rumour. I really do think Rafa's team have handled the whole thing really badly from the start and brought more trouble on themselves in the process. I don't see why they could not have just said that Rafa had a knee injury and he will be back when he is fit to play again. People would then have assumed that it was tendonitis again, which Rafa has had before, but at least he would have been spared all the speculation. As it is, they have made a right mess which has given rise to all sorts of rumours.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 192 [193] 194 195 196 ... 231 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »