Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Estimated time - 12:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Rafael Nadal 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 194 [195] 196 197 198 ... 231 Go Down Reply
Author

Rafael Nadal

(Read 105250 times)
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2910 on: January 30, 2013, 05:17 PM »

One week ahead of his expected return to tennis, Rafael Nadal says his left knee is still causing him pain.

The 26-year-old Spaniard is scheduled to play next week in Chile before heading to tournaments in Brazil and Mexico.

Speaking Wednesday on the island of Mallorca, Nadal says that although his knee is looking better, "sometimes it still hurts ... but I have to start sooner or later."

Nadal says playing at the three Latin American tournaments "will be very useful," adding he is "fine, enthusiastic," after not playing since losing to Lukas Rosol in the second round at Wimbledon.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/tennis/story/2013/01/30/sp-tennis-atp-rafael-nadal-knee-injury.html

That doesn't sound good. Is it me, or does it sound like Rafa is trying to convince himself? It must be quite a scary time for him, wondering if all will be well when he plays again.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2911 on: January 30, 2013, 05:35 PM »

Yeah surely its going to affect his play whether its hurting him or not! There's always going to be that nagging thought in his head......if I run like the clappers for this ball is my knee gonna give way? I would be so panicking.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2912 on: January 30, 2013, 06:22 PM »

Confused. Thought he was now in Chile since the weekend. Have to say things don't sound too good for him at all. Really hope he doesn't try to come back too quickly or the top guys will mince him.
But as he says, he's got to come back sometime - if he wants to come back at all, that it - and I reckon these minor tournaments will be ideal as a starting point.  I wasn't surprised he chickened out of Abu Dhabi.  Given the competition, that would have been madness.

Yeah surely its going to affect his play whether its hurting him or not! There's always going to be that nagging thought in his head......if I run like the clappers for this ball is my knee gonna give way? I would be so panicking.
That's the psychological hurdle that all sportspersons have to face after returning from serious injury.  Some will deal well with it, others not so well, but the longer Nadal puts off his return, the more that fear is going to prey on his mind.  I must say though that the whole thing does not sound very promising, but only time will tell.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2913 on: January 30, 2013, 06:52 PM »

Maybe he will stick to clay court and grass tournaments to see how his knees hold up. There will be plenty of small clay court tournaments. I cannot see him playing in slams unless he has to, if his knee is shot then perhaps he will give up tennis.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2914 on: January 30, 2013, 07:01 PM »

It is a shame, mean he is still at his peak, what age is Rafa, 28? If he had to give up, if that happened to Andy I would be devastated.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2915 on: January 30, 2013, 07:04 PM »

It is a shame, mean he is still at his peak, what age is Rafa, 28? If he had to give up, if that happened to Andy I would be devastated.

Rafa is 26.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2916 on: January 30, 2013, 07:06 PM »

26! God that's even worse if things dont work out for him. Genuinely hope he's ok.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2917 on: January 30, 2013, 08:28 PM »

Pic in the Mail Online of Nadal practising.  He looks in pretty good shape, but the real test will come when he starts playing matches.

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2918 on: January 30, 2013, 08:36 PM »

And this is the link to the article that that pic was taken from, headlined "Watch out Andy, the King of Clay is on his way back!"-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-2270701/Rafael-Nadal-prepares-return-Mallorca-workout.html
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2919 on: January 30, 2013, 09:46 PM »

He's only a year older than Andy and Novak, but he has been on tour since 2001 so is somewhat of a veteran already.

Going to be very interesting to see how he fares in his first few tournaments back.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2920 on: January 30, 2013, 11:09 PM »

At least Nadal's appearances in S. America will give my tennis viewing some focus in the Andy lull.  I'm sure there will be livestreams to be found especially as a lot of tennis fans will be equally keen to see how he performs.
IP Logged
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2921 on: January 31, 2013, 12:06 AM »

Maybe his knees have been used as a smokescreen - and in reality he's been busy practising with his new racquet... http://www.espn.co.uk/tennis/sport/story/190857.html
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2922 on: January 31, 2013, 01:41 AM »

^ Interesting point.  All I can say is that there's been so much rumour and speculation about his knee and his return that I don't think anyone knows what to believe any more, and even the BBC comms during the AO final said they didn't quite buy the 'stomach virus' excuse for withdrawing from Abu Dhabi and the AO.  Also, and I could be wrong, but what I'm picking up from the pic I posted above is confidence rather than lack of it.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2923 on: January 31, 2013, 07:51 AM »

^ Interesting point.  All I can say is that there's been so much rumour and speculation about his knee and his return that I don't think anyone knows what to believe any more, and even the BBC comms during the AO final said they didn't quite buy the 'stomach virus' excuse for withdrawing from Abu Dhabi and the AO.  Also, and I could be wrong, but what I'm picking up from the pic I posted above is confidence rather than lack of it.
It was less not buying it and more calling it out for utter bull****. Lloyd was laughing at the absurdity of it.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #2924 on: January 31, 2013, 09:19 AM »

26! God that's even worse if things dont work out for him. Genuinely hope he's ok.

He was 26 last year, I'm sure of it. Then again, I always think of him as older than that in tennis terms, mainly because of his injuries.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 192 193 194 [195] 196 197 198 ... 231 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »