Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Rafael Nadal 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 215 [216] 217 218 219 ... 231 Go Down Reply
Author

Rafael Nadal

(Read 108764 times)
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3225 on: February 13, 2013, 04:08 PM »

Wishful thinking there Rafa? Didn't Jimmy Connors, Andre Agassi and Pete Sampras all do better late in their careers at the USO?

They were all very good on hard but none of them went on to win 7 FOs either. In any case, the age didn't matter and the knee certainly wasn't a factor. To be honest, I am not sure how much I want to buy into the knee dilemma. Nadal is just not all that great on hard surface to begin with. History tells us that the Spanish players aren't all that great on hard courts anyway. Nadal is the only slightly being an exception here (still only 2 Majors on hard both came last and very late- 2009 if you take into account that he’d turned pro in 2001) - even that will have to be given to the fact that, all hard surfaces play slow these days.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3226 on: February 13, 2013, 04:18 PM »

I'm probably being thick, but wouldn't Rafa have to play all the Masters? I thought they were compulsory unless a player is 30 or over?
They are, apart from Monte Carlo. I'm sure Rafa could find a way. If it means extending his career, can you see the ATP really opposing him?
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3227 on: February 13, 2013, 04:39 PM »

They are, apart from Monte Carlo. I'm sure Rafa could find a way. If it means extending his career, can you see the ATP really opposing him?

Well, no, I don't, when you look at it like that. The problem I have with it is that it leaves a bad taste in my mouth, the idea of one rule for some and another for everyone else.

The thing that strikes me about it is credibility. I mean, I know Rafa has won 11 slams. He doesn't have to care what anyone thinks. But isn't it a credibility issue for him with the other players, if it comes to a point that Rafa has to cut his schedule down to the point where he is playing on virtually nothing but clay? In that circumstance, if I was him, I think I'd be inclined to think enough is enough.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3228 on: February 13, 2013, 05:39 PM »

Well, no, I don't, when you look at it like that. The problem I have with it is that it leaves a bad taste in my mouth, the idea of one rule for some and another for everyone else.

The thing that strikes me about it is credibility. I mean, I know Rafa has won 11 slams. He doesn't have to care what anyone thinks. But isn't it a credibility issue for him with the other players, if it comes to a point that Rafa has to cut his schedule down to the point where he is playing on virtually nothing but clay? In that circumstance, if I was him, I think I'd be inclined to think enough is enough.
Indeed, but such is the way with sport. The governing bodies will look after those that bring them the most revenue. Bias and corruption everywhere, maybe less so in tennis than certain other sports (football, for one).

I agree, but who knows what goes through his mind. The lure of another Slam can be quite appealing. Federer continues to desperately try to win another one, despite only reaching two finals (winning one) in the last three years.
[ Last edit by TheMadHatter February 13, 2013, 05:44 PM ] IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3229 on: February 13, 2013, 05:58 PM »

I think a loss to Chardy would have been better for Nadal. Now he just might be doubting himself a bit much. We'll see though how it all unfolds though. Still a long way to go before RG.

Nadal's danger almost always come from the lower ranked players or at least players we don't suspect at all. It's been that way for a while now.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3230 on: February 13, 2013, 07:39 PM »

Nadal is complaining about a lot of things upon return. Apparently he's not happy with the way Brazil is shaping up.

===============================================

World No. 5 Rafael Nadal has come out on Wednesday with some scathing remarks towards the organisers of the Brasil Open, a tournament which is a part of the ATP World Tour 250 Series.

"It is unacceptable that a tournament is held in these conditions. The bounce of the ball is too irregular, the lines are falling off and the balls are far too soft. You can not have any long rallies here."

Nadal followed that up with a critique of the ATP.

"This situation is a consequence of the ATP's lack of worry for the players. These courts are bad for the health of the players and I hope someone will take action against this. The audience wants to see long matches and on these kinds of courts that is impossible without injuries, no?"

When asked about the state of his knee, Nadal was cautiously optimistic.

"My knee feels a bit better today. Of course, it still changes from day to day, some day it's better, some day it's worse. All I can do is see how things go and I hope the injury will not cause me to lose matches I could win."

He assured the Brazilian journalists that his qualms were with the São Paulo tournament only.

"I love playing in Brazil and I am already looking forward to the Olympics in Rio. I just think that this tournament has had some problems with the organisation, but my team and I are going to talk to the organisers and see if it can be fixed."

IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3231 on: February 13, 2013, 07:44 PM »

Oh dear, sounds like Nadal is having a bad day. To be honest, I have some sympathy at the moment. Coming back must be tough, especially if the knee still isn't right. However, if he continues to moan and carp about tournaments, playing conditions, which are the same for everyone, etc, my sympathy will run out very quickly.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3232 on: February 13, 2013, 07:58 PM »

I have a lot of sympathy for Rafa right now. Of course, my best interests are always with Andy but Nadal has been the saviour all this time and Nole to a lesser extent. Can never dislike these two players in the true sense. Occasionally I get mad at them but I never dislike them. Quite the contrary in fact. Federer fans are milking it right now. The full match (vs Zebellos) has been posted on a few forums and all by Federer fans. Doesn’t surprise me one bit. I hope he keeps it quite though and let his racquet do all the talking.  It will take some time to make the full comeback and he should just accept it.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3233 on: February 13, 2013, 08:19 PM »

I totally agree with you Teejay.  If he goes on like this I will lose patience.  I thopught he might be the one who complained about the 25 seconds between points.   He was the main culprit in the past.
None of the others seem to be suffering by the time.  A few have been warned and lost points but the rule has always been there they are just trying to enforce it.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3234 on: February 13, 2013, 08:25 PM »

Oh dear, sounds like Nadal is having a bad day. To be honest, I have some sympathy at the moment. Coming back must be tough, especially if the knee still isn't right. However, if he continues to moan and carp about tournaments, playing conditions, which are the same for everyone, etc, my sympathy will run out very quickly.
It's a pity he's having to do this, but I guess it must be hard to come to terms with.  One day you're invincible, the next you're struggling to keep up.  Never going to be an easy thing to come to terms with. Don't expect him not to be mardy about it.  If he was a losing time culprit - the umpires should have enforced the rule - not his fault.
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3235 on: February 13, 2013, 09:04 PM »

Djokovic complained during the Davis Cup about the courts. These top players are starting to piss me off with their opinions on tournaments. If its not to their liking get them to go out there and relay the courts etc. Not the people who have to spend weeks on end trying to make the tournament perfect. Arrogant fools.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3236 on: February 13, 2013, 09:09 PM »

Djokovic complained during the Davis Cup about the courts. These top players are starting to piss me off with their opinions on tournaments. If its not to their liking get them to go out there and relay the courts etc. Not the people who have to spend weeks on end trying to make the tournament perfect. Arrogant fools.
Yup - I agree - heads so far up their own arses, they could see daylight.  Thank goodness for Andy!
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3237 on: February 13, 2013, 09:43 PM »

But if the courts are bad, shouldn't the top players speak out? Apparently the courts in Belgium were worked on overnight after Djoko complained. Just following one twitter trail this evening I found  these comments:

Ramirez Hidalgo painfully falls. Rafa was right about the surface.

Terrible fall of Ruben Ramirez-Hidalgo in Sao Paulo. Totally twisted his ankle!.... It's hurts only to look at it Frown(((

Almost a copy of Monaco's fall at #MonteCarlo last year

horror Frown((((

what did he say when Monaco/Benneteau etc were injuring themselves in MC last year? nothing because he was winning

did you see this court at SP? #facepalm

It's bad yes I agree. But last year's MC courts were bad too and he kept quiet then

etc...
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3238 on: February 13, 2013, 10:21 PM »

But if the courts are bad, shouldn't the top players speak out? Apparently the courts in Belgium were worked on overnight after Djoko complained. Just following one twitter trail this evening I found  these comments:

I agree Elena - I think if there are any problems with the courts, then the players have the right to bring it up. Rafa's bound to be especially cautious about injury at the moment as well. I read that the court in Sao Paulo is in poor condition because it was converted to hard court for Federer's Gillette tour and so the clay hasn't had as long to settle in as it usually does.

Interesting twitter comments there - sorry to hear about Ruben Ramirez-Hildago's fall. If it's dangerous, then the court definitely needs to be looked at and improved if possible. I seem to remember that Rafa did raise concerns about the courts at MC last year, along with other players.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3239 on: February 14, 2013, 12:36 AM »

The thing is, if the courts are not safe etc, of course the top players are right to speak out. I was as proud as punch of Andy at the USO in 2011 when he, Nadal and Roddick quietly and calmly went to the referee's office to discuss the fact that one of the courts had a flaming great crack on the baseline, due to rain, and they felt it was unsafe. Of course it's right that top players use their position to make changes, especially for the good of everyone.

However, over recent days Nadal has been quoted as not approving of the enforcement of the 25 second rule - I think we can all work out why - he has gone public about his views on the hard court season, for fairly obvious reasons, and now he is having a go at the tournament organisors in Brasil and the ATP. The thing is, of course standards should be observed, but there are better ways of dealing with things than carping in press conferences.

I do sympathise with Nadal, don't get me wrong. But his carping will make him sound over anxious soon if he isn't careful. Moaning about conditions in Brasil could also set him up for suggestions from other players that these conditions have existed for a while but nothing was said before.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 215 [216] 217 218 219 ... 231 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »