Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Rafael Nadal 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 216 [217] 218 219 220 ... 231 Go Down Reply
Author

Rafael Nadal

(Read 100213 times)
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3240 on: February 14, 2013, 02:43 AM »

Perhaps the clay court is dangerous for the players.  As far as I'm aware other players have complained. They're just not TOP players.  Does anybody think a tournament director will take much notice of a lower ranked player? I don't think so. If Nadal speaking out improves safety for the players then surely that's a good thing.

Has anyone seen the picture of the court with the moving lines?

[ Last edit by IonaRed February 14, 2013, 02:54 AM ] IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3241 on: February 14, 2013, 10:05 AM »

The thing is, if the courts are not safe etc, of course the top players are right to speak out. I was as proud as punch of Andy at the USO in 2011 when he, Nadal and Roddick quietly and calmly went to the referee's office to discuss the fact that one of the courts had a flaming great crack on the baseline, due to rain, and they felt it was unsafe. Of course it's right that top players use their position to make changes, especially for the good of everyone.

However, over recent days Nadal has been quoted as not approving of the enforcement of the 25 second rule - I think we can all work out why - he has gone public about his views on the hard court season, for fairly obvious reasons, and now he is having a go at the tournament organisors in Brasil and the ATP. The thing is, of course standards should be observed, but there are better ways of dealing with things than carping in press conferences.

I do sympathise with Nadal, don't get me wrong. But his carping will make him sound over anxious soon if he isn't careful. Moaning about conditions in Brasil could also set him up for suggestions from other players that these conditions have existed for a while but nothing was said before.

Yes Rafa definitely does complain way too much in general, though I do feel he was justified on this occasion. Federer, Andy, Ferrer, Berdych, Tsonga and many other top players have shown that they are able to play within the 25 seconds between points rule, so there's no reason why Rafa shouldn't be able to as well. I can understand his point that after long rallies they may need more time, but I'm sure the umpires will use their judgement in those cases. But with Rafa he frequently is going over the allotted time. Rafa/Novak matches are always so drawn out because of Rafa's routine before serving every single time, and Novak's excessive ball bouncing (though he does seem to have improved that in recent times).

Also, Rafa would never get agreement from the vast majority of players for playing more on clay than hard court. Looking at the top 10, there's only him and Ferrer who enjoy playing more on  clay than hard. The rankings would look very different if there were substantially fewer hard court tournaments. I can understand his point in terms of his own condition, but other players would find it equally wearing on the body having to grind out clay court matches instead of being able to finish the points quickly on a hard court.

Perhaps the clay court is dangerous for the players.  As far as I'm aware other players have complained. They're just not TOP players.  Does anybody think a tournament director will take much notice of a lower ranked player? I don't think so. If Nadal speaking out improves safety for the players then surely that's a good thing.

Wow that looks so dangerous - there could be some nasty injuries if the court is like that when they're playing matches.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3242 on: February 14, 2013, 12:34 PM »

Thanks for the picture. That looks bad!

Nadal & Nalbandian puleed out of their doubles match last night - giving a walkover to Marach & Zeballos - although Zeballos had retired from his singles match earlier so might not have been fit to play anyway!

IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3243 on: February 14, 2013, 03:41 PM »

Didnt see it before....thanks for posting!
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3244 on: February 14, 2013, 04:42 PM »

I agree that the 25 second rule should be enforced. If the other player can do it so can Rafa he takes far to long between point with his routine. Djokovic has got better but still takes for to many bounces of the ball before he serves. I think the time between points has to be enforced for all players not just the top players.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3245 on: February 14, 2013, 04:53 PM »

I think Andy made a good point about the 25 second rule. If I recall correctly, his point was that 25 seconds isn't long if you need to look at a line and decide, or not, to challenge a call, or change a racquet and so on. Andy's thought was that the time should be increased to 30 seconds and that should be enforced. I have no argument with that, but what I do argue with is certain players endless need for certain routines, i.e. fiddling with their hair, pulling their shorts out of their backside etc, or endless ball bouncing. It's that sort of thing that takes up time, and someone needs to get a grip on it.

Whatever the allowed time, I do think it's right that it should apply across the board, regardless of ranking.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3246 on: February 14, 2013, 06:49 PM »

Not sure if this has been posted but just spotted it on BBC website - I guess if Rafa doesn't want to risk IW and Miami, he could use this advice to justify it:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/21447998
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3247 on: February 15, 2013, 02:37 AM »

Perhaps the clay court is dangerous for the players.  As far as I'm aware other players have complained. They're just not TOP players.  Does anybody think a tournament director will take much notice of a lower ranked player? I don't think so. If Nadal speaking out improves safety for the players then surely that's a good thing.

shocking  That wouldn't even be permitted, or expected, in a local tennis club never mind a stadium like this.

However, I'll repeat part of what I posted on the "Will Andy win a clay tournament" thread after I watched Nadal struggle to defeat the world #140 Joao Souza  (the Brazilian player, that is - not the Portuguese Joao Sousa that Andy played in the AO) 6-3, 6-4.

I don't know if anyone else watched this match, but I'm inclined to agree with the comm who said during the 2nd set that "Nadal's mystique has gone".  Sousa played a reasonably solid game, helped by some very good serving, but Nadal would have lost against a better and more experienced opponent.  The fact is that these guys are no longer going to fear Nadal and so will just go all out because they have nothing to lose.  Souza never looked fazed, but Nadal, whether or not it was the after-effects of Chile, seemed nervous (the bum-tugging was well on the go, which is always a bad sign) and his movement round the court was sluggish.  Also it seemed to me that he was limping very slightly when he was was walking, so if his knee was giving him pain that wouldn't have helped either.  Rather amusingly though it was Nadal who was obviously getting impatient when Souza went in for a bit of time-wasting and insisted that the umpire show him the exact spot where his return had landed and been called out (it was).

I hadn't read this thread then, so didn't know about Nadal's complaints about the court, and that might have been of concern to him as well, although everything looked perfectly OK to me, those in charge of looking after them having obviously ensured that any defects had been rectified.

I really do think though that Nadal should be keeping his mouth shut on other matters until he's had a little more time to re-establish himself.  Probably had too much time on his hands during his lay-off to mull things over.

Yup - I agree - heads so far up their own arses, they could see daylight.  Thank goodness for Andy!
Are you seriously trying to tell me that Andy has never complained about court conditions?  What about the slippery grass at Queens last year and the rain-affected courts at RG in 2011?  He certainly had justification for doing so, but then so had the players who complained about the blue clay in Madrid.  Andy didn't play there but I don't think he'd have been happy with it either.

Not sure if this has been posted but just spotted it on BBC website - I guess if Rafa doesn't want to risk IW and Miami, he could use this advice to justify it:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/21447998
Thanks Ruthie.  I read a shortened version on the BBC's red button tennis section, which, incidentally, it looks like they're trying to improve, and not before time either.

It makes sense, but will Nadal heed his doctor's advice, given that he's ignored it before when he was strongly advised to change his playing style and reduce the number of tournaments in order to preserve his knees?  However, I don't think that he can realistically wriggle out of IW and Miami unless his knee condition flares up - although why not IW given that the Williams sisters have refused to play there ever since what their father claimed was an incident of racial abuse back in 2001?  I can see Nadal tanking though and making an early exit at both, although it's possible that he might get beaten quite legitimately.
[ Last edit by Aileen February 15, 2013, 02:48 AM ] IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3248 on: February 15, 2013, 10:20 AM »

I really do think though that Nadal should be keeping his mouth shut on other matters until he's had a little more time to re-establish himself.  Probably had too much time on his hands during his lay-off to mull things over.

But we mustn't forget that a lot of these comments are probably answers to questions. Nadal posted this picture on Facebook - there could have been a lot of questions from this lot!

My first contact with the media in Brazil. Almost 7 years later still surprised me. Obrigado!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3249 on: February 15, 2013, 05:19 PM »

But we mustn't forget that a lot of these comments are probably answers to questions. Nadal posted this picture on Facebook - there could have been a lot of questions from this lot!

My first contact with the media in Brazil. Almost 7 years later still surprised me. Obrigado!

Hmm - I see what you mean, Elena, so I now retract my statement. Smile
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3250 on: February 15, 2013, 05:47 PM »

Players should have every single right to speak up if they feel certain things aren't up to the right standard.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3251 on: February 15, 2013, 10:46 PM »

On court right now.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3252 on: February 15, 2013, 10:47 PM »

Is it on TV?
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3253 on: February 15, 2013, 10:49 PM »

2-4 down already I see from live scores....
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3254 on: February 15, 2013, 10:53 PM »

Is it on TV?
I don't think so.
2-4 down already I see from live scores....
Here's a link to a livestream - http://www.streamhunter.eu/tennis-live-streaming-video.html
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 216 [217] 218 219 220 ... 231 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »