Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Rafael Nadal 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 219 [220] 221 222 223 ... 231 Go Down Reply
Author

Rafael Nadal

(Read 108622 times)
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3285 on: February 27, 2013, 12:54 AM »

I really can't see him playing both. Defending SF points in both though. That's a lot to lose.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3286 on: February 27, 2013, 01:05 AM »

^ I got the impression from a recent interview that keeping his knees as healthy as possible is more important to him than ranking points right now, and he's said repeatedly that hard-courts really punish the body, so that being the case he might as well withdraw from both.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3287 on: February 27, 2013, 05:01 PM »

I really can't see him playing both. Defending SF points in both though. That's a lot to lose.

I read that if he does withdraw then both Del Potro and Berdych will overtake him in the rankings. That's a lot of ground to lose if he wants to get back to the top 4 quickly.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3288 on: February 27, 2013, 06:02 PM »

At least at year end we will find out what his priorities were. It looks/sounds all vague at this point.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3289 on: February 27, 2013, 09:17 PM »

I've given up wondering what Nadal will do now.  One report I read today says he's skipping both IW and Miami, and in another he denies it.  Rumour and counter-rumour as usual.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3290 on: February 28, 2013, 07:02 AM »

There seems to be such excitement that he has beaten Martin Alund (No 91) and who has only played 6 matches on the ATP Tour (3-3).  He has yet to face anyone at the top.  I know he bageled him but I would expect that if he is to come back.  He did not play at full pelt and obviously did not need to.  When he does we will then see how much progress he hs made.  Some people say they think he is trying to avoid the big names at the moment.  He will have to face them at some time.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3291 on: February 28, 2013, 07:18 AM »

He's been avoiding hard courts and in the process avoiding most of top players. His confidence must be low. But aren't Amalgro and Ferrer in the same event?
RG  is obviously his immediate goal and what happens after must depend on how the knees hold up.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3292 on: February 28, 2013, 09:37 AM »

He's been avoiding hard courts and in the process avoiding most of top players. His confidence must be low. But aren't Amalgro and Ferrer in the same event?
RG  is obviously his immediate goal and what happens after must depend on how the knees hold up.

Yes Almagro and Ferrer are in the tournament - Rafa's due to face Almagro in the SF and Ferrer in the final. They'll definitely test Rafa and expose any weaknesses he has. I think he definitely needs a test though to show what his form is really like at the moment.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3293 on: February 28, 2013, 12:33 PM »

Assuming he gets past Leonardo Mayer, I'm looking forward to seeing him up against Amalgro.

And if he gets past him, I can't wait to see a Nadal/Ferrer match.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3294 on: February 28, 2013, 01:34 PM »

Personally I think Nadal would love an encounter against Ferrer. Not only it will tell him where his game is but also, it will give more confidence going forward. He pretty much owns Ferrer on clay. This though will be Ferrer’s golden opportunity to finally get a win over Nadal on clay after a really long time.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3295 on: February 28, 2013, 04:20 PM »

Almagro has the game to test Rafa but mentally Nadal will crush him.

Ferrer will be a real test.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3296 on: February 28, 2013, 08:56 PM »

Almagro should man up and take it to Nadal. Though he will have to get past Zeballos first. 
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3297 on: February 28, 2013, 09:02 PM »

There seems to be such excitement that he has beaten Martin Alund (No 91) and who has only played 6 matches on the ATP Tour (3-3).  He has yet to face anyone at the top.  I know he bageled him but I would expect that if he is to come back.  He did not play at full pelt and obviously did not need to.  When he does we will then see how much progress he hs made.  Some people say they think he is trying to avoid the big names at the moment.  He will have to face them at some time.
But wouldn't you if you were in the same situation?  He needs to get his confidence back both as to his knee and himself, and to do that surely the best way is to start with low-key tournaments and hopefully win at least one of them, which he has done, and take it from there?  I still don't swallow the stomach virus story which caused him to pull out of Abu Dhabi and then the AO because had he played AD he'd probably have been demolished and demoralised.
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3298 on: February 28, 2013, 09:04 PM »

But wouldn't you if you were in the same situation?  He needs to get his confidence back both as to his knee and himself, and to do that surely the best way is to start with low-key tournaments and hopefully win at least one of them, which he has done, and take it from there?  I still don't swallow the stomach virus story which caused him to pull out of Abu Dhabi and then the AO because had he played AD he'd probably have been demolished and demoralised.

If I was Rafa I'd play IW and Miami. I'd get more confidence by giving the top 4 seeds in those tournaments a run for their money than hold back and play 250 events until RG. He's going to go into RG scared I think of Fed, Djok and Muzz.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3299 on: February 28, 2013, 09:08 PM »

Rafa is playing Indian Wells.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 219 [220] 221 222 223 ... 231 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »