Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Fabio Fognini, Thursday, Estimated time - 1:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Rafael Nadal 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 222 [223] 224 225 226 ... 231 Go Down Reply
Author

Rafael Nadal

(Read 105532 times)
craighateslife
Challenger Level

Gotta eat Protein

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3330 on: March 03, 2013, 09:32 PM »

I watched the match on livestream and agree that Ferrer was very disappointing.  I really thought he'd have put up more of a fight in the circumstances but instead he looked more like a frightened rabbit caught in a car's headlights.  It seems that the Nadal aura is still alive and well.  I thought Nadal played an extremely good game though - almost like his old self really - and the comms were certainly making purring noises.

The question is, of course - will he now play IW or withdraw as has been rumoured?

You're right Aileen, the aura of Nadal seemed to affect Ferrer more than anything else.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3331 on: March 03, 2013, 09:43 PM »

You're right Aileen, the aura of Nadal seemed to affect Ferrer more than anything else.
I actually find that quite scary because I thought Ferrer was made of sterner stuff.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3332 on: March 04, 2013, 01:36 PM »

I actually find that quite scary because I thought Ferrer was made of sterner stuff.
He always rolls over against the top 4. Andy is the only one he seems to have any belief against.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3333 on: March 04, 2013, 02:38 PM »

Maybe checking the watch will be another thing to add to his service routine, to avoid penalties -  but something else will have to go!

Maybe its to ensure he takes his usual eternity between points ..just to make sure he uses the maximum legal time ...needs to make sure the watch is accurate obviously Wink

Maybe its to show his opponent that ....he is still thinks like a 7 yr old.... Look I have a more expensive watch than any of you lot...coz Im just better all round than you are... lol

Either way... seems extreme even in an advertising context. So many sports don't allow any jewelry to worn during play..or if they do its usually covered..don't know why tennis should be any different....maybe coz its non-contact but still.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3334 on: March 04, 2013, 09:51 PM »

^ Whatever, it just looks completely out of place and I can't believe the sponsor demanded he wear it on court.

He always rolls over against the top 4. Andy is the only one he seems to have any belief against.
I know, but this was one heck of a roll over.  Ferrer was like terrified rabbit, which was very disappointing, and I think the crowd felt the same way because they wanted their money's worth for this final.

IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3335 on: March 04, 2013, 10:20 PM »

^ Whatever, it just looks completely out of place and I can't believe the sponsor demanded he wear it on court.

I know, but this was one heck of a roll over.  Ferrer was like terrified rabbit, which was very disappointing, and I think the crowd felt the same way because they wanted their money's worth for this final.

Starting to show his age, I think.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3336 on: March 05, 2013, 10:11 AM »

If you live In the UK ESPN are showing the Nadal vs Delpotro match at 3pm
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3337 on: March 05, 2013, 11:10 AM »

I know, but this was one heck of a roll over.  Ferrer was like terrified rabbit, which was very disappointing, and I think the crowd felt the same way because they wanted their money's worth for this final.

I think really Ferrer had been struggling all week with his form, often going a break down early on before getting things together again. His forehand was erratic in all his matches, with lots of errors. Most of his opponents weren't able to capitalise as they were making errors too, but Rafa is so rock-solid with his game. How he played against Fognini was an indicator of his form as he doesn't usually struggle against him on clay at all. And against Rafa he was barely winning any rallies and came close to only winning one game too. He's usually able to make it more competitive than that.

I don't think it was him being over-awed by having to play Rafa as such (the nerves tend to show more when the matches are close - e.g. Barcelona last year), but to do with Rafa being far superior to him on the day. If David's off his game for whatever reason, these types of scorelines can happen because he doesn't have a way of winning easy points - he needs to be effective in the rallies. Hope he can pick up his form in IW, though he doesn't have that good a record there - losing his first match last year.

If you live In the UK ESPN are showing the Nadal vs Delpotro match at 3pm

I wish I'd kept my ESPN subscription - sounds like it was a good match.
IP Logged
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Let your racket do the talking

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3338 on: March 05, 2013, 06:57 PM »

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/03/03/sport/tennis/tennis-nadal-ferrer-mexico/index.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fedition_tennis+%28RSS%3A+Tennis%29

Nadal still has the intention to play IW..., this article is on hos own website... but is 2 days old
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3339 on: March 05, 2013, 09:21 PM »

He's still on the players' entry list, and the draw takes place today at 3 pm PST, so I reckon he's playing.  However, whilst he says "My heart tells me I should continue competing, that I need to move on to the next tournament" - is his knee telling him the same thing, because according to him it's still giving him pain, and he knows that playing on hard-court won't do it any good?

IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3340 on: April 15, 2013, 12:18 PM »

Rafael Nadal Fans ‏@RafaelNadalFC 17h
Nadalmania in Monte Carlo! #Nadal #tennis pic.twitter.com/CoToMpwicI

Carole Bouchard ‏@carole_bouchard 22h
Huge mess around Nadal's exit of his training court today.Lots of people who got totally out of control.Security overwhelmed, kids panicking and some fainting. Nadal had to be taken out of the crowd by security, seen folded in half at some point between secu guys. Frightening.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3341 on: April 15, 2013, 12:51 PM »

shocking  It's scary how quickly people can get out of control in these situations.  Obviously a step-up in security is needed.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3342 on: May 04, 2013, 01:58 PM »

Well at least Rafa has now spoken out about the Doping fiasco, so at least Andy is not alone in his disdain of destroying the blood samples, although i feel Novak should publicly mention it also seeing as he's the number one player in the world, by not doing so raises too many suspicions for his camp.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3343 on: May 04, 2013, 08:39 PM »

Well at least Rafa has now spoken out about the Doping fiasco, so at least Andy is not alone in his disdain of destroying the blood samples, although i feel Novak should publicly mention it also seeing as he's the number one player in the world, by not doing so raises too many suspicions for his camp.

I am afraid I think that Nadal is toeing the party line here. If the judge has ordered the samples to be destroyed he has nothing to fear. Personally I think that if those blood samples are destroyed, then there should be a blanket ban on all Spanish sports people  competing internationally. Until we know who those samples relate to all Spanish sports competitors are under a cloud of suspicion. If Nadal and Ferrer's blood is not amongst those samples I would be very surprised. The doctor involved has saud he "treated" tennis players. I think the chances of either of them being clean are as high as the chances of finding an honest politician.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Rafael Nadal « Reply #3344 on: May 04, 2013, 09:25 PM »

I think that's a bit harsh, I totally agree the samples should not be destroyed and we should know who any dodgy samples belong to. However there is no evidence that Nadal or Ferrer have been doping and don't see why they (and hundreds other spanish sports stars) should be deprived of what is their jobs. If it happened in the UK would you want Andy banned? As for Nadal toeing the party line - he was being criticised the other day for not speaking out, what else could he say, he seems to be damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 222 [223] 224 225 226 ... 231 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »