MurraysWorld  >  Tennis Talk  >  The Next Generation
Pages: [1] Reply

The Next Generation

Thought I'd start a thread devoted to up-and-coming players who might one day become the next Big Four. We're all aware of people like Coric, Chung and Zverev. There are one or two others to watch out for as well.

Someone who's just wandered across my radar is Taylor Fritz, a 17-y-o American who's leaping up the rankings. He won the Fairfield Challenger last week, beating some big names, all in straights, like Smyczek, Kavcic, Blaz Rola and then Dustin Brown in the final. In fact, he's on a hot streak of 16 straight wins and won the US Open juniors. He jumps over 100 places to 232.

Looks like Sampras, talks like him, plays like him. Ugh.

Another one to watch out for is Andrey Rublev, who's also 17 and gave Anderson a hard time in the first round of the US Open. He's currently ranked 179.

I think tennis is skipping a generation, in terms of top talent. I think these guys, plus possibly Kokkinakis, Elias Ymer, Jared Donaldson and one or two others, could do big things. I'm reserving judgement on Nick the Dick until he decides to take the sport seriously.

Anybody else we should watch out for?
IP Logged

Don't think there are many others at the moment. Though Frances Tiafoe - 17 year old American - is a name I have heard discussed.

Haven't watched Chung yet but have seen he's had some very promising results. Same with Rublev. Will be watching out for them.

Coric has a shed load of self belief but seems rather boring. Zverev is a bit more interesting but lacks belief. I've watched him get really tight and lose in main tour matches where he was clearly the better player. The most recent was against Coric in Cincy.

Kokkinakis needs to sort out his returning. He has a good serve and a big forehand but not much in the way of return game. Has a good attitude though and seems to work hard.

A lot of these young guys seem very tall. They don't appear to be tall guys of the servebot mould - yet - but they do seem to lack something in movement. They are young of course, but traditionally very tall tennis players don't have good movement.
IP Logged

They are tall. Optimal is 6ft to 6-3. Andy's height is about as far as you can push it to make it to the very top. Beyond that, your movement is compromised too much.

I had Zverev down as the one to make it big, but I'm leaning towards Fritz now.

He's won two Challengers on the spin. But height could be an issue, as you say. Just shy of his 18th birthday, he's already six-three, six-four.
IP Logged

Zverev is a bit more interesting but lacks belief. I've watched him get really tight...

That's the difference with this Fritz guy. Has saved 44 of the last 48 break points he's faced. He's bottled.
IP Logged

That's the difference with this Fritz guy. Has saved 44 of the last 48 break points he's faced. He's bottled.

We'll see how he develops when he starts playing main tour events, presumably next year he'll start getting some wild cards and make his way through qualies.

Who do you reckon is going to be named newcomer of the year or whatever that award is called? Coric got it last year.
IP Logged

It's called Star of Tomorrow now, or something. I'm wondering if Duckhee Lee might get it. Isn't he the one who's deaf? Might make a good headline-grabbing story. Winners tend to be top 150 or so, though. Maybe Zverev or Rublev.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] Reply