MurraysWorld  >  Tennis Talk  >  Davis Cup 2016
Pages: [1] Reply

Davis Cup 2016

Birmingham's Barclaycard Arena has been confirmed as the venue for next March's first-round tie vs Japan.
IP Logged

Cheapest tickets are £65 for the Friday and Sunday and £40 for the Saturday.  Quite a few people on the AMFF website are finding them to be expensive.
IP Logged

Good news for Birmingham. I hope 2 things for Andy...........
1   He actually plays DC next year
2   He plays only singles.  Playing all 3 possible matches is too punishing long term.  Also, with Kyle and maybe Bedene coming through we might win a few more other singles ties particularly in early ties (not forgetting some great wins for Ward & Evans in past - just not enough of them).
IP Logged

Goodness - we're getting a bit ahead of things here!  Very pleased though that it'll be a home tie.  I can't see Andy playing given that IW follows right after it.
IP Logged

It followed right after this year's round 1. I think he will try and play as it will give him matches before IW- he won't have played since Oz open.
IP Logged

Goodness - we're getting a bit ahead of things here!  Very pleased though that it'll be a home tie.  I can't see Andy playing given that IW follows right after it.

Aileen, during Shanghai Andy said he intended to play the first tie depending on the arrival date of mini Murray, but if they got through to the QF then he wasn't sure because the timing of the DC QF is close to Wimbledon and to the Olympics in 2016, stating that the Olympics is a massive goal for him.

As WW says he won't have had match play since the AO and he'll want to shake off rust going into IW and Miami.
IP Logged

Aileen, during Shanghai Andy said he intended to play the first tie depending on the arrival date of mini Murray, but if they got through to the QF then he wasn't sure because the timing of the DC QF is close to Wimbledon and to the Olympics in 2016, stating that the Olympics is a massive goal for him.

As WW says he won't have had match play since the AO and he'll want to shake off rust going into IW and Miami.
I'd forgotten about last year, and also I wan't aware that Andy had said what he did about the Japan tie, although it does make sense provided mini Murray obliges!
IP Logged

I reckon Andy won't play. He's put so much in this year, sacrificing other stuff (in effect)

Will be a chance for other guys to get experience. Who knows, perhaps Andy may come back for a bit before retirement.
IP Logged

I suspect if they win this year he won't do more than help get things started in Birmingham,  I certainly don't see him wanting to chase any away ties.  It would be nice if Bedene won his appeal and could take over as the lead man so Andy doesn't have to feel obliged to take part if he doesn't want to.  But what do you bet the Lloyds will be on his back, as soon as he stops playing DC.
IP Logged

I really can't see Andy doing any more than that Ruthie, particularly as, even if Bedene does win his appeal, the result won't be known until just after the Japan tie.  Andy isn't going to go on forever, so it's up to the rest of the team to step up to the plate, and I would hope that Leon stays on as captain because he's been largely responsible for helping GB dig itself out of the DC wilderness, without Andy playing for two years.  Also I doubt he'll give two hoots about anything the lippy Lloyds have to say!

PS - I wonder if Andy might become the DC captain at some point?  Although he has stated that staying with tennis isn't on his agenda, he might just change his mind after he's been away from it for a while.

IP Logged

an interesting thought Aileen.  I think it's highly likely he'll come back to tennis after a break in some way or another when he stops playing
IP Logged

If Bedene wins his appeal, he and Kyle plus our strong doubles pairings could be enough to keep us in the WG, I reckon.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] Reply