Andy Murray vs Gilles Simon, Thursday, Time - 11:00am BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld  >  Tennis Talk  >  Roger Federer
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 [31] Reply

Roger Federer

Interesting to wonder many exceptional coaches  haven't been tennis players. Uncle T and Papa Williams spring to mind at once, but there must be others. Did Nole's coach ever play, I mean MV of course, not wunderkid.
And then there's another lot who played tennis, but not exceptionally eg Gilbert, Miles Mc, Cahill? 

Vajda had a solid career but nothing spectacular, with a highest ranking of 34.

Gilbert was actually pretty successful, he made it to 4th in the world and was a player that many of the top players hated playing due to his style of play.
IP Logged

Ta for that Matthew.
I find it interesting  what makes a great coach. I can't stand Uncle T. but no doubt he created an amazing champion. Some parental coaches are obviously deranged too!
But, back on topic, I mean who actually could teach Fed anything at this stage of his career?
IP Logged

Some parental coaches are obviously deranged too!

Tomic's father.  yes
IP Logged

Alas double, he is not the only one by any means nah
IP Logged

Vajda had a solid career but nothing spectacular, with a highest ranking of 34.

Gilbert was actually pretty successful, he made it to 4th in the world and was a player that many of the top players hated playing due to his style of play.

Gilbert was a top-100 player in terms of talent but he hauled himself into the top four by being awkward to play. He would get into his opponent's head.

He wasn't great to watch. He was also motivated almost entirely by money. He made the end-of-year ATP finals 'final' once, but I think he tanked the match. The big showdown was with David Wheaton (now a preacher) in the semis. It was like a war, because they both knew $1m was at stake.

Gilbert won but said he had nothing left for the final vs Sampras, which he lost tamely. I think the semi was his final.
IP Logged

...and he appears to have skin cancer, according to his latest tweets.
IP Logged

Federer released his 'tentative' schedule for 2016. No clay tournaments on it except for the French Open, so unless he suddenly adds some that's 860 points that can be deducted from his rankings. Won't be in Miami again either, but he will play Rotterdam and Dubai in February, and Stuttgart and Halle before Wimbledon. Probably reckons he can win Rotterdam and Stuttgart and make up most of those.
IP Logged

I see also that Andy started his preparation for the new season by beating him 6-4 in the IPTL.  Federer also lost to Nadal a few days before.  The end draws closer.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 [31] Reply