Andy Murray vs Facundo Arguello, Monday, Estimated time - 4:00pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld  >  Tennis Talk  >  Up and Coming Players to Watch Out For
Pages: [1] Reply

Up and Coming Players to Watch Out For

While the Dimitrovs and Raonics of this world continously fail to deliver when it matters, are there any players out there you would recommend keeping an eye on? Particularly any with a potentially attractive game, not just big serves and thumping forehands.
IP Logged

Er, actually, no. I think Kokkinakis and Coric will be big and I like Kyle Edmund's chances of making the top 50.

I think the best of a pretty thin bunch is Zverev, who seems to have good skills for a big man (under Jez Green's iron rule). Bit worrying that he's 6-6 and still growing, though.

Made the semis in Hamburg last year:

IP Logged

CMK29, welcome. Interesting thread to start. Of the under 20s players, aside from Kyrgios, two male players people are talking about are Coric and Zverev. I watched both when they played at Basel. Coric got more press because he beat Nadal, who was ill at the time, while Zverev had a good showing against Dimitorv there. I paid more attention to the Zverev match, my feelings were that he could and maybe should have won that match, but having taken the first set it seemed to me that something in his head told him that he shouldn't have been ahead against a considerably higher ranked player and he kind of crumbled on key points against a very lacklustre Dimitrov. Coric certainly seems very confident about his game.  

I'm interested to see what Thanasi Kokkinakis can do - he played a great match in the first round of the AO and beat Gulbis (who is an erratic player, but as seeded in top 20 at AO).

Of the women, Madison Keys is definitely the one to watch, she has a big game and big future. Taylor Townsend looks promising. There's a French player called Oceane Dodin who could be one to watch, she's 18 and got to the second round at the AO - she won 5 ITF tournaments last year and should make a breakthrough on the WTA tour this year but is perhaps lacking in a little maturity in terms of her game at the moment. Dodin was actually being considered for the French Fed Cup team tie against Italy this coming weekend but it was felt she wasn't quite at that level in terms of experience or maturity yet.

Of course Andy frequently mentions players he thinks are ones to watch - he mentioned a few before the AO on his Twitter account and if Andy says they are ones to watch then you can bet on it that he is right (can't remember exactly but was one of the women he mentioned Pliskova?). Andy picked Kyrgios as a big talent last year, since then he's made 2 slam QFs, but needs to have a better showing on the ATP tour.

And then there are our two young Brits Kyle Edmund and Liam Broady.
IP Logged

Thanks amongsttheleaves - I'd heard Zverev's name a couple of times, but not seen him play yet. Will definitely check him out.
IP Logged

Thanks amongsttheleaves - I'd heard Zverev's name a couple of times, but not seen him play yet. Will definitely check him out.

What worries me, when the current big four have moved on, is the prospect of cheap slams going to players who are good but not great. If Raonic picks up a couple of cheap Wimbledons in a few years' time, I'll be mad as hell. If only Andy had been five years younger, he'd have cleaned up.
IP Logged

Do you play tennis on the Isle of Skye? Is there any bit of land that's flat enough?
IP Logged

Nice thread, hi CMK29! Welcome!

Is it possible to change the name of this thread in: ""Up en coming players to watch?"" It's nice to watch new talented players though? Going to watch Thiem in Rotterdam next week. Besides some other guys who are interesting to watch too Smile (http://www.abnamrowtt.nl/spelers , an incredible amount of talented players this year!)

IP Logged

Aljaz Bedene.  James McGee
IP Logged

Vesely, Thiem, Pouille, Kubler, Saville and Broady from the '93 and '94 generations.

From the 95' generation or younger, see Kyrgios, Coric, Zverev, Kokkinakis, Edmund, Chung, Nishioka, Donaldson, Ymer, Kozlov and Jasika.

All of those are in the top 200 apart from the latter two, who are #412 and #501 at 17 respectively (Kozlov turned 17 yesterday).

Oh, and Quinzi, if he ever gets over his injury problems.
IP Logged

Do you play tennis on the Isle of Skye? Is there any bit of land that's flat enough?

Ha, ha - I have bigger problems than that - namely that I haven't picked up a racquet in years, and finding people to play against :-)
IP Logged

What worries me, when the current big four have moved on, is the prospect of cheap slams going to players who are good but not great. If Raonic picks up a couple of cheap Wimbledons in a few years' time, I'll be mad as hell. If only Andy had been five years younger, he'd have cleaned up.

The thought of Raonic with a slam to his name, makes me feel ill  yuk
IP Logged

Vesely, Thiem, Pouille, Kubler, Saville and Broady from the '93 and '94 generations.

From the 95' generation or younger, see Kyrgios, Coric, Zverev, Kokkinakis, Edmund, Chung, Nishioka, Donaldson, Ymer, Kozlov and Jasika.

All of those are in the top 200 apart from the latter two, who are #412 and #501 at 17 respectively (Kozlov turned 17 yesterday).

Oh, and Quinzi, if he ever gets over his injury problems.

How did I forget Pouille?!
IP Logged

Such a depressing thought! And sadly possible.
IP Logged

Kokkinakis, Kyrgios, Coric, Zverev, Thiem and Vesely for me.
Given up on Janowicz who I thought at one stage was going to be a solid top player like Berdych, but he is just another Dolgopolov who looks promising but too inconsistent.
Dimitrov and Raonic shouldn't really be classed as up and comers anymore, too old at 24+.
IP Logged

Been watching Karolina Pliskova vs Ivanovic. Pliskova won. Andy reckons Pliskova is one to watch but needs to improve her movement; she got asked about what Andy said recently and her response was that she hoped one day Andy would say she was fast enough for him!

Really liked her attitude on court and she seems a bit different character-wise to some of the other girls which is good to see - good sense of humour too if her other response to Andy's comments is anything to go by:

'And having received some valuable advice from Murray, does she have any words of wisdom for the British No1? “I don’t want to say anything, I think he’s good enough,” she laughs. “But he can get quicker as well.”'

From and interview with Reem Abulleil for Sport360.

http://sport360.com/article/international/32772/interview-karolina-pliskova-wtas-rising-star-has-andy-murrays-attention
[ Last edit by amongsttheleaves February 18, 2015, 01:28 PM ] IP Logged
Pages: [1] Reply