Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Real Tennis 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Reply
Author

Real Tennis

(Read 6225 times)
Amy
Challenger Level

Real Tennis « on: December 01, 2005, 12:27 PM »

all this business about 'raw tennis' has got me thingking about 'real tennis.' its different to the most common game of tennis we all know but then again it has its similarities.
i know facilities for real tennis is not exactly superb in the uk but does anyone live near a real tennis ourt? i only know of one around the oxford area.
IP Logged
KitKat
Seed

Real Tennis « Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 12:31 PM »

The only thing I've heard about round our way is short tennis, but I'm not sure what the difference is.  Is real tennis the game one of the royals played, maybe Edward?  confused
IP Logged
Amy
Challenger Level

Real Tennis « Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 12:35 PM »

this might help a smidgin-

http://www.real-tennis.com/history/main.html
IP Logged
KitKat
Seed

Real Tennis « Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 12:41 PM »

Thanks Amy, it was the one I was thinking of, I saw a documentary on it that was made by Prince Edward. goodjob
IP Logged
KitKat
Seed

Real Tennis « Reply #4 on: December 01, 2005, 12:42 PM »

How's your tennis going by the way, anymore tournaments to play this year?
IP Logged
eira_arian
John McEnroe

Real Tennis « Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 01:15 PM »

theres one real tennis court in oxford (belonging to one of the colleges.....christ church or magdalene maybe) and one i think at hampton court. as far as im aware they're the only two in the world....
IP Logged
Amy
Challenger Level

Real Tennis « Reply #6 on: December 01, 2005, 01:48 PM »

Quote from: "eira_arian"
theres one real tennis court in oxford (belonging to one of the colleges.....christ church or magdalene maybe) and one i think at hampton court. as far as im aware they're the only two in the world....

really?! wow. i didnt realise that! anyone had any experience with REAL tennis before?
an article in the telegraph a while ago said as a result she split her head open!  #-o
IP Logged
Amy
Challenger Level

Real Tennis « Reply #7 on: December 01, 2005, 01:49 PM »

Quote from: "KitKat"
How's your tennis going by the way, anymore tournaments to play this year?

tennisis going amzingly thanks kitkat. ive gone up in rankings which is amazing to hear!
last weekend i won the little tournie that i was doing but got nothin official on till after christmas now.
im jetting off to a land far far away after christmas though which will be awsomness!
ill keep you posted...  Wink
IP Logged
KitKat
Seed

Real Tennis « Reply #8 on: December 01, 2005, 01:55 PM »

That's great Amy, well done on your win, let's hope your on a roll now.  How long do you still have in the juniors before you would have to enter senior tournaments? hug
IP Logged
Amy
Challenger Level

Real Tennis « Reply #9 on: December 01, 2005, 02:01 PM »

That's great Amy, well done on your win, let's hope your on a roll now.  How long do you still have in the juniors before you would have to enter senior tournaments? hug

well im still in mid teens now so ill be another few years. if i get some experience with girls my age who i might get to meet hopefully in the WTA in the future, ill feel loads more confident coz ill no their styles of play...hopefully. thats the plan anyway.
IP Logged
KitKat
Seed

Real Tennis « Reply #10 on: December 01, 2005, 02:05 PM »

It's quite good to grow up playing the same girls, as you said you'll know their weaknesses and strengths, I wasn't sure if there was an age limit to play juniors or not.
IP Logged
Amy
Challenger Level

Real Tennis « Reply #11 on: December 01, 2005, 02:09 PM »

It's quite good to grow up playing the same girls, as you said you'll know their weaknesses and strengths, I wasn't sure if there was an age limit to play juniors or not.

by no means am i ready for seniour tournies yet. if everything goes to plan by the time i hit 18 or 19 ill be ready. but u cant really put a time limit on this kinda thing. ur either ready for the competition or youre not. thats what coach says anyway...

anyway- real tennis...
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Real Tennis « Reply #12 on: December 01, 2005, 03:48 PM »

Thats fab Amy, I knew you could win
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Real Tennis « Reply #13 on: December 01, 2005, 03:50 PM »

There are courts at our school. But they are a sort of tarmac which doesnt break your fall too well, and the sufrace is un-even (lots of weird bounces)

The school said they were going to build all -weather courts. I hope it goes ahead
IP Logged
Quackers
Murraymaniac

Real Tennis « Reply #14 on: December 01, 2005, 05:06 PM »

Wigan has a sports arena outside the JJB Stadium and theres four indoors courts and I think four outdoor courts.  They do loads of lessons and sessions like for tots, kids, teens and adults.  Some are for fun and some are serious, its really good!  I wish it was there when I was younger.  I might have got into it more.  I play badminton as a hobby now though.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »