Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, Monday, Estimated time - 8:00pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Remove Andrew Castle from commentating on the Wimbledon 2013 Final. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Reply
Author

Remove Andrew Castle from commentating on the Wimbledon 2013 Final.

(Read 1840 times)
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Come on, "usually" is a massive exaggeration.
Is it?
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

He makes the odd mistake, but so do all commentators. John McEnroe seemed to think Delpo was Spanish the other week!

The odd mistake? I count a dozen or more per match. Mis-pronunciations, wrong nationalities, wrong ages, ridiculous lack of basic tennis knowledge, constantly incorrect information about player's record. Not to mention incredibly patronising and condescending about players who have had careers 10x as good as his ever was.
IP Logged
notnek
Futures Level

Is it?
Yes.

IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

The odd mistake? I count a dozen or more per match.

Really? I've never noticed that many mistakes from him. I must zone out a little from the commentary when Andy's playing!
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Yes.

No.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

He's more bothered about the revelations on the ball when its hit, then what is actually going on on the court. During the Verdasco-Benneteau 2nd Round match, he was discussing such things for half an hour non stop, instead of actually commentating on what was going on in front of him. Ridiculous.
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

The reason the BBC use him at Wimbledon time is because the vast majority of viewers only watch Wimbledon and are not looking for expert interpretation but to be induced into a mind numbing coma which Andrew Castle does extremely well as he is known as "the housewives favourite" which is a tag given to him from his breakfast tv days.  Bit OTT to start a petition, everyone makes mistakes, he is irritating and several times I lose the plot with him, but I have learned that the mute button works for me!!
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Actually what irritates me the most is how at EVERY change of ends he'll instantly start another topic of conversation that is totally irrelevant to the match at hand. Usually talking about Federer or Tim or about how much Andy has bulked up since he was 18 (yeah no ****). He just loves the sound of his own voice.
IP Logged
notnek
Futures Level

Actually what irritates me the most is how at EVERY change of ends he'll instantly start another topic of conversation that is totally irrelevant to the match at hand. Usually talking about Federer or Tim or about how much Andy has bulked up since he was 18 (yeah no ****). He just loves the sound of his own voice.
If find most commentators do this and the Americans are the worst.

I tried getting into baseball once - in one game the commentators talked about past matches more than the match they were watching. So I concluded that the sport must be dull and it wasn't just me.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

The Queens incident was one of the most shambolic things I've seen. Maybe leave him on as a commie but just don't let him interact with any people ever again?
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Andrew Castle is an anchor commentator, the one man in the commentary team who rambles about this and that to appease the viewers watching on TV while the others like Mac, Becker, Lloyd and Henman are the analysts and the tennis experts. I think he does that job quite well, although i prefer Petch in that role as he more or less joins in with the tennis aspect with the others, but we need someone in commentary to lead and Becker et al are not capable of doing that.

I get more annoyed by Henman who seems to bring a list of famous Adages with him into commentary, he was particularly annoying in the Verdasco match with all his "the tide has turned" "don't look a gift horse in the mouth" "when it rains it pours" etc etc
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

I'd say it will be Henman, McEnroe and Becker - unless Mac has  to work for US tv which often happens come the finals. Then maybe it wd be Petchey - as a former coach of Andy they might go for him.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Andrew Castle is an anchor commentator, the one man in the commentary team who rambles about this and that to appease the viewers watching on TV while the others like Mac, Becker, Lloyd and Henman are the analysts and the tennis experts. I think he does that job quite well, although i prefer Petch in that role as he more or less joins in with the tennis aspect with the others, but we need someone in commentary to lead and Becker et al are not capable of doing that.

I get more annoyed by Henman who seems to bring a list of famous Adages with him into commentary, he was particularly annoying in the Verdasco match with all his "the tide has turned" "don't look a gift horse in the mouth" "when it rains it pours" etc etc

Henman is utter rubbish. He couldn't analyse an omelette. I have no problem with Castle. He does what he's asked to do superbly.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

I signed it because of the Queens incident, that at the time, he should have been fired straight off from. Sharing that someone is having problems with their personal life, then going into detail about it on live TV and probably humiliating the person, followed by a cheap uppercut into the throat by saying because of that they are not fit for the role as CEO, is quite honestly, uncalled for, unprofessional and cruel. Also makes Castle look a real snob.
He did not go into details, if you remember afterwards someone on this forum asked what was the personal issue with Lloyd you were the one who told us that he was bankrupt.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

He did not go into details, if you remember afterwards someone on this forum asked what was the personal issue with Lloyd you were the one who told us that he was bankrupt.

If David Lloyd's bankrupt, we all need to take a cyanide pill right now.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »