Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Kevin Anderson, Friday, Time: 12 noon BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Roger Federer 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 ... 25 Go Down Reply
Author

Roger Federer

(Read 11281 times)
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Roger Federer « Reply #225 on: November 19, 2013, 07:59 PM »

Williams has played a full schedule this year. Played the most in her life.

Right on!

She played Brisbane, FED Cup, Bastad and Beijing this year. Apart from Brisbane which she played in 2012, she rarely plays any of the other events.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Roger Federer « Reply #226 on: November 19, 2013, 08:41 PM »

Any chance of Andy playing?  I could go perhaps?
Maybe he might do if he skips the AO, because he's going to be toiling if the only match he plays before IW is Acapulco, even if he does manage Abu Dhabi and Doha.

I think Williams only enters big tournaments so she does not play many tournaments. I think that's what is meant.
I think you could be getting Serena and Venus mixed up, although no doubt somebody will keep me right.  However both the sisters seem to think they can get away with anything.  Why, for instance, have they never been penalised for refusing to play Indian Wells because of an allegedly racist incident which happened years ago?  And why was Serena not more severely punished for seriously abusing that line judge at the 2009 USO?  If she'd done that in the street she'd probably have been arrested.

As for Federer, unless there's a radical improvement in his form, then I can't see him being prepared to go on playing beyond the end of next year.  He says he doesn't mind being the under-dog and that he'll be working hard on his game (presumably coachless) because he still enjoys playing tennis, but will he still feel that way if he has another poor year and tournament organisers start ignoring his requests for huge attendance fees?  Also I think reality is starting to dawn on some of his fans, so will the luvvies still love him as much if he continues to be the pathetic figure that he is now?

IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Roger Federer « Reply #227 on: November 19, 2013, 08:46 PM »

Maybe he might do if he skips the AO, because he's going to be toiling if the only match he plays before IW is Acapulco, even if he does manage Abu Dhabi and Doha.
I think you could be getting Serena and Venus mixed up, although no doubt somebody will keep me right.  However both the sisters seem to think they can get away with anything.  Why, for instance, have they never been penalised for refusing to play Indian Wells because of an allegedly racist incident which happened years ago?  And why was Serena not more severely punished for seriously abusing that line judge at the 2009 USO?  If she'd done that in the street she'd probably have been arrested.

As for Federer, unless there's a radical improvement in his form, then I can't see him being prepared to go on playing beyond the end of next year.  He says he doesn't mind being the under-dog and that he'll be working hard on his game (presumably coachless) because he still enjoys playing tennis, but will he still feel that way if he has another poor year and tournament organisers start ignoring his requests for huge attendance fees?  Also I think reality is starting to dawn on some of his fans, so will the luvvies still love him as much if he continues to be the pathetic figure that he is now?

The IW incident is territory I don't want to delve back into. It was horrible and I think it would be against her human rights if she was forced to play the event again. It truely was a disgusting act and should have been dealt with by security in my opinion.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Roger Federer « Reply #228 on: November 19, 2013, 09:08 PM »

The IW incident is territory I don't want to delve back into. It was horrible and I think it would be against her human rights if she was forced to play the event again. It truely was a disgusting act and should have been dealt with by security in my opinion.
I never saw the match but read plenty about it, and as far as I'm concerned their father only made matters worse by stirring it. 
IP Logged
marathonarthur
Challenger Level

Re: Roger Federer « Reply #229 on: November 20, 2013, 09:44 AM »

Williams has played a full schedule this year. Played the most in her life.

To clarify as I started this!

I am probably a lot older than most so remember when BOTH Williams sisters played only the essential number of tournaments to get into the slams! They just did not do the equivalent of anything like a 250 or lesser event. Serena doing more tournaments is much more recent situation.

Federer after his match at O2 was quite positive he would be back at WTF in 2014 so I imagined that he would do what was necessary, as this year, to make it again hence the link to the sisters. I came into too close a contact with them at Roland Garros, a long time ago when Kuerten was starring in the mens. They were young and quite arrogant then and it was no surprise that for a number of years after they were seldom in the lesser tournaments. The Serena IW incident is I agree best not reopened.

We all have our views, not many AM fans seem that keen, on Roger the person. It is not relevant for although he was a brilliant player when younger and still very good today at times many of us cannot see how he is going to stay in the top eight again to qualify next year. I just wondered how he would achieve a place at WTF.
IP Logged
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Let your racket do the talking

Re: Roger Federer « Reply #230 on: November 20, 2013, 12:52 PM »

Any chance of Andy playing?  I could go perhaps?

I am sure he will not. He will play as wel in Acapulco as in the States (davis cup)  in february. Besides, he isn't even asked to come to Rotterdam, (because the uncertainty of the injury, as they said! But his name wasn't on the wishlist before the injury either, only Djokovic, Nadal en Federer).
I wish he does of course! Have tickets voor -all-the QF's, and like the line up, but would replace them immediately for one ticket of one match with our hero...Smile
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Roger Federer « Reply #231 on: November 20, 2013, 10:25 PM »

I am sure he will not. He will play as wel in Acapulco as in the States (davis cup)  in february. Besides, he isn't even asked to come to Rotterdam, (because the uncertainty of the injury, as they said! But his name wasn't on the wishlist before the injury either, only Djokovic, Nadal en Federer).
I wish he does of course! Have tickets voor -all-the QF's, and like the line up, but would replace them immediately for one ticket of one match with our hero...Smile
He could always ask for a wildcard nearer the time.  The way I see it is, that if he does skip the AO, then what's he going to do between Doha and Acapulco?  Spend all his time just training and practising?  However he could always opt for the SAP Open which I understand is being moved from San Jose to Memphis.
IP Logged
drchef
Challenger Level

"Corey, Trevor.....Smokes, let's go!"

Re: Roger Federer « Reply #232 on: November 20, 2013, 10:34 PM »

My money would be on Fed retiring at Wimbledon 2014. Perfect place to massage his ego and go out with a bang.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Roger Federer « Reply #233 on: November 20, 2013, 10:57 PM »

My money would be on Fed retiring at Wimbledon 2014. Perfect place to massage his ego and go out with a bang.
But that's only assuming that he'll win it, which I don't think he will with Djoko, Nadal and a fit Murray around.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Roger Federer « Reply #234 on: November 21, 2013, 12:09 AM »

Federer will be lucky to get to any grandslam QF next year.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Roger Federer « Reply #235 on: November 24, 2013, 06:46 PM »

Why are these pics on Fed thread?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Roger Federer « Reply #236 on: November 24, 2013, 07:33 PM »

Probably because it's the silly season everywhere including on here with no Andy/tennis to focus on.

Anyway I think @warehouse was just making a comparison between the arrogance of Fed (which is genuine) and what is perceived to be that of Nadal.  Unfortunately though it looks like Andy might be going down the same road soon, having fallen into the hands of some high-powered marketing company.
IP Logged
drchef
Challenger Level

"Corey, Trevor.....Smokes, let's go!"

Re: Roger Federer « Reply #237 on: November 24, 2013, 08:19 PM »

But that's only assuming that he'll win it, which I don't think he will with Djoko, Nadal and a fit Murray around.
Oh don't get me wrong, I wasn't saying he would win it!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Roger Federer « Reply #238 on: November 24, 2013, 08:23 PM »

Oh don't get me wrong, I wasn't saying he would win it!
My apologies for the misunderstanding. Smile
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Roger Federer « Reply #239 on: December 03, 2013, 08:19 AM »

**** off sportstennis you clown
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 ... 25 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »