Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Roger Federer 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 ... 25 Go Down Reply
Author

Roger Federer

(Read 11760 times)
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Roger Federer « Reply #195 on: October 14, 2013, 07:53 AM »

You know Iluvandy, I'm a huge fan of Rafa, he's my second favourite player after Andy. So whenever I read comments about him doping and all, it is disturbing and gets irritating the more often you read about it. And as everybody here knows, we are talking about it too often. It is natural for any Rafa fan to be offended by those comments. I try my best to ignore or not read that thread. Since Gangsta like Rafa too, I think that's why he opens up more and shows his dislike towards any post regarding it. And he respects the top 4, and didn't feel comfortable with the comments against Federer too.

If I might defend this. I find it quite interesting that the two people who are as rabid in defence of Nadal and Fed are amongst the youngest on the forum. That is not a dig at youth, or hammering the "superiority" of age. I also know there are older folks who don't believe Nadal is suspicious either.

However perhaps you might consider the fact that given we are older and so have a greater life experience, some of us are interpretating Nadal, and for that matter Federer's behaviour and deriving conclusions that are logical and reasonable to us given our different frames of reference?

Gangsta was vehement that the older members of the forum respected the young people. It is equally reasonable for the younger members to aknowledge that some of the older members might have a bit/lot more information and experience to base their conclusions on. Or to put it another way you often get more cynical and suspicious as you get older, not without cause.

I have kept my word to restrict talk of doping to the appropriate thread. It is a difficult and contentious topic. It is also an important topic. All the more reason for there to be a place where it can be discussed.

As for Federer back on topic. I think he has brought a lot of the current derision on himself. If he had exercised a bit more humility and respect to other players, perhaps folks might not be glorying in his decline now. I think there is a quote to the effect that people should be nice to those they meet on the way up, as it it highly probable you will meet the same people on the way down.
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: Roger Federer « Reply #196 on: October 14, 2013, 08:37 AM »

If I might defend this. I find it quite interesting that the two people who are as rabid in defence of Nadal and Fed are amongst the youngest on the forum. That is not a dig at youth, or hammering the "superiority" of age. I also know there are older folks who don't believe Nadal is suspicious either.

However perhaps you might consider the fact that given we are older and so have a greater life experience, some of us are interpretating Nadal, and for that matter Federer's behaviour and deriving conclusions that are logical and reasonable to us given our different frames of reference?

Gangsta was vehement that the older members of the forum respected the young people. It is equally reasonable for the younger members to aknowledge that some of the older members might have a bit/lot more information and experience to base their conclusions on. Or to put it another way you often get more cynical and suspicious as you get older, not without cause.

I have kept my word to restrict talk of doping to the appropriate thread. It is a difficult and contentious topic. It is also an important topic. All the more reason for there to be a place where it can be discussed.

As for Federer back on topic. I think he has brought a lot of the current derision on himself. If he had exercised a bit more humility and respect to other players, perhaps folks might not be glorying in his decline now. I think there is a quote to the effect that people should be nice to those they meet on the way up, as it it highly probable you will meet the same people on the way down.

I agree with you that it is an important subject within sport in general, but targeting a specific player with nil evidence is wrong, and that is what most on this forum have been doing with Nadal, a more general approach when in discussion would keep me at bay. Being a fan of Rafa its pretty hard to sit there and read all the venemous messages being written, most of them out of hate, stick to what you know is the approach that in my opinion should be taken, also with a slight hint of caution.

However I am not as passionate as you may perceive about respect for younger people, although it is nice to have respect, some people can find it hard to respect others, particularly in an online environment like this, because you simply don't know the person, also through past experiences (such as between you and I), such as when you intentionally or unintentionally attacked my parents, that was henious and I will probably never forgive you for that. Although taking TJ's example of 'small mind'. It's disgusting and the wrong thing to say because its always going to show the one person in a bad light, despite my retaliation. It's basically calling someone retarded, which in public is frowned upon.

Back to the subject of Nadal and Fed, Sabine is a Nadal fan and I am a Nadal fan with unwavering respect for Fed, mainly because unlike some who would have grown up with the likes of Borg, Edberg and Lendl, we grew up with these two 'titans' of the sport, so its hard not for younger people to respect them. Although the first ATP match I watched was an Agassi one at the US Open in 2006 against Baghdatis. There are two sides to every argument, and here we obviously have a clash between two generations that have grown up to love two different sets of players and although the younger generation haven't had a punch at Borg etc., we still like to stand our ground and defend the players we grew up with.

Last but not least, I apologise for jumping on you at every opportune moment, I have seen the error of my ways.
[ Last edit by GangstaMurray October 14, 2013, 08:58 AM ] IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Roger Federer « Reply #197 on: October 14, 2013, 08:53 AM »

Just to clarify......When I say I'll have nobody to laugh at when Fed retires, I don't mean the 'ha ha hee hee' kind of laugh. I don't find Fed 'funny' at all! It's more a laugh of derision...I find the man despicable! I despise him! He may 'float like a butterfly' on the tennis court....yet he has no 'grace'. He might be a 'top class tennis player'.....yet he has no 'class'! I once said that PseudoFed takes all the bad things about Federer and turns them good......by making them funny! He turns him into a misguided but lovable buffoon, who comes out with ridiculous statements, without really 'understanding' what he's saying, but nothing could be further from the truth! Fed knows exactly what he's saying and whether it's insulting and hurtful is no matter.....he says it anyway! I don't find his decline funny either, but neither am I sorry for him and why should I be......it happens to us all! In fact, I really would like to see him find his top game again, but only because I'd like to see Andy beat him a few more times, because I believe Andy Murray is a better player than Fed has ever been and a better man too! Goat?......PseudoFed maybe.....but Roger Federer?  nah.......don't make me laugh!  Whistle
[ Last edit by Caz October 14, 2013, 08:58 AM ] IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Roger Federer « Reply #198 on: October 14, 2013, 08:59 AM »

Well Masaka, I think our age or I would say my age is what concerns you. At first, I had not put up my age when I joined this forum because I thought people would be a little judgmental. But later, when I did show my age in my profile some people were surprised to know I was so young. I'm almost 100% sure that it was only yesterday that you found out my actual age. If you think I'm being immature or narrow-minded about Rafa's doping issue, then I don't know what to say about that.
If you've kept your word to stick to the appropriate thread for doping, then I thank you because I'm not going to be reading that thread again. Yes, it is an important topic, the discussion should go on...I never asked anyone to completely stop it.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Roger Federer « Reply #199 on: October 14, 2013, 09:32 AM »

Well Masaka, I think our age or I would say my age is what concerns you. At first, I had not put up my age when I joined this forum because I thought people would be a little judgmental.  I'm almost 100% sure that it was only yesterday that you found out my actual age. If you think I'm being immature or narrow-minded about Rafa's doping issue, then I don't know what to say about that.
If you've kept your word to stick to the appropriate thread for doping, then I thank you because I'm not going to be reading that thread again. Yes, it is an important topic, the discussion should go on...I never asked anyone to completely stop it.

Your age or lack of it doesn't concern me. I cross checked yesterday simply because I was curious. You make various comments related to the evils of homework and exams which is a bit of a give away......!!! My intention was not to suggest that you are being immature or narrow minded on the "D" subject. It's actually the other way round. More that older people are inevitably going to be more cynical and suspicious in certain situations simply because they have met and seen the outcome of of similar situations before. Its exactly the same response I personally give to politicians when they are talking about all the things they might do. As a youngster I might well have believed them. Now I look at past promises and think "we have been here before, this is all bullsh*t".
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: Roger Federer « Reply #200 on: October 14, 2013, 09:36 AM »

Your age or lack of it doesn't concern me. I cross checked yesterday simply because I was curious. You make various comments related to the evils of homework and exams which is a bit of a give away......!!! My intention was not to suggest that you are being immature or narrow minded on the "D" subject. It's actually the other way round. More that older people are inevitably going to be more cynical and suspicious in certain situations simply because they have met and seen the outcome of of similar situations before. Its exactly the same response I personally give to politicians when they are talking about all the things they might do. As a youngster I might well have believed them. Now I look at past promises and think "we have been here before, this is all bullsh*t".

Dead right there.  yes I felt the urge to punch the TV when David Cameron appeared on ITV Calendar and said he wanted to see the next few years through.
IP Logged
benniebone
ATP Level

Re: Roger Federer « Reply #201 on: October 14, 2013, 09:39 AM »

If I may add my two pennorth.Years ago I was told by a colleague on my first promotion always to treat juniors with consideration and hope that when I slid down the ladder of success,as we all do eventually ,my then superiors would treat me the same way This is not easy to do as Federer is finding out.

Youth has a contribution to make ,energy and a fresh way of thinking,whereas the experience of the older folk counts as well Then, together we can make progress
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Roger Federer « Reply #202 on: October 14, 2013, 09:47 AM »

Just realised that since his loss to Andy at the AO, Fed has been on the decline.  lmao
It's that old karma at work again.
I haven't seen any evidence that any of the top 10 are doping, what I've seen is a lot of speculation.
Until I do, I'll reserve mu judgement.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Roger Federer « Reply #203 on: October 14, 2013, 09:47 AM »

Your age or lack of it doesn't concern me. I cross checked yesterday simply because I was curious. You make various comments related to the evils of homework and exams which is a bit of a give away......!!! My intention was not to suggest that you are being immature or narrow minded on the "D" subject. It's actually the other way round.

That is a big give away! yes I wasn't very aware that you would have read it.

It's actually the other way round. More that older people are inevitably going to be more cynical and suspicious in certain situations simply because they have met and seen the outcome of of similar situations before. Its exactly the same response I personally give to politicians when they are talking about all the things they might do. As a youngster I might well have believed them.

Oh, don't get me started with politics. It's all a dirty game and when I live in such a country which is so corrupted, I think even my baby cousins would understand the fake attitude created by them. Smile

Now I look at past promises and think "we have been here before, this is all bullsh*t".

Yes it is, so I think it's time for me to shut up.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Roger Federer « Reply #204 on: October 14, 2013, 09:56 AM »

Iast but not least, I apologise for jumping on you at every opportune moment, I have seen the error of my ways.

I accept your apology. In turn I apologise to you for offending you about your parents and other views.

I have come to the conclusion that you and I just have personalities that clash. I hate to say it that it might well be because those personalities are very similar. I certainly have fixed views and am frequently dogmatic.  You can wind me up without even trying, and I imagine the opposite applies.

I will try to get back on topic now. I agree totally with Caz's post on Federer. A brilliant tennis player, but someone who doesn't come over as a very attractive personality.  I am also not convinced that her would have been quite as great as he is, had he played in a different era.  If he is going to be a GOAT, I think the assessment needs to be confined to the era he has played in. Would the likes of McEnroe and Lendl  been contenders if they had been playing with the benefit of recent racket and training technology? We simply don't know.

IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: Roger Federer « Reply #205 on: October 14, 2013, 10:02 AM »

I accept your apology. In turn I apologise to you for offending you about your parents and other views.

I have come to the conclusion that you and I just have personalities that clash. I hate to say it that it might well be because those personalities are very similar. I certainly have fixed views and am frequently dogmatic.  You can wind me up without even trying, and I imagine the opposite applies.

I will try to get back on topic now. I agree totally with Caz's post on Federer. A brilliant tennis player, but someone who doesn't come over as a very attractive personality.  I am also not convinced that her would have been quite as great as he is, had he played in a different era.  If he is going to be a GOAT, I think the assessment needs to be confined to the era he has played in. Would the likes of McEnroe and Lendl  been contenders if they had been playing with the benefit of recent racket and training technology? We simply don't know.

Would it be of comfort if I said you were not the only one of gets wound up with me just being here? lol
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Roger Federer « Reply #206 on: October 14, 2013, 10:05 AM »

Would it be of comfort if I said you were not the only one of gets wound up with me just being here? lol

I rather think the same could be said of  me. Help we are the same.............!!! :-)

IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Roger Federer « Reply #207 on: October 14, 2013, 10:45 AM »

I rather think the same could be said of  me. Help we are the same.............!!! :-)

I did comment on the similarity a short time ago!!!     

IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Roger Federer « Reply #208 on: October 14, 2013, 10:14 PM »

Oh.. just found out about Rog and Paul. Shame.

Speaking as a massive tennis fan through and through, and as a kid who was lucky enough to grow up and follow Borg/Mac/Connors/Lendl/Nastase/Edberg/Becker/Sampras/Agassi/Ivanisevic/Hewitt/Wilander/Rafter/Roddick/Nalbandian... then onto our current outstanding crop of Andy/Rafa/Novak/Roger.

I say... If Roger continues to love the game, then I'll continue to love watching him play.

Just so long as he doesn't beat Andy.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Roger Federer « Reply #209 on: October 14, 2013, 11:03 PM »

Just so long as he doesn't beat Andy.

And learns to keep his arrogance to himself  Think
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 ... 25 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »