Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, Monday, Estimated time - 8:00pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Roger Federer 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 ... 23 Go Down Reply
Author

Roger Federer

(Read 9943 times)
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Roger Federer « Reply #210 on: October 14, 2013, 11:52 PM »

And learns to keep his arrogance to himself  Think

And doesn't come on court in a white suit trimmed with gold.     Whistle
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Roger Federer « Reply #211 on: October 15, 2013, 06:50 AM »

.....or trophies on his shoes!  Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Roger Federer « Reply #212 on: October 15, 2013, 03:08 PM »

IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Roger Federer « Reply #213 on: November 06, 2013, 01:07 PM »

Federer's head to head with Novak is now 16-15. Two more defeats and he has a losing record vs Djokovic, Nadal and Murray. That's not GOAT material.
IP Logged
marathonarthur
Challenger Level

Re: Roger Federer « Reply #214 on: November 06, 2013, 02:49 PM »

Federer's head to head with Novak is now 16-15. Two more defeats and he has a losing record vs Djokovic, Nadal and Murray. That's not GOAT material.

I think all agree that Federer has been good but the top order is changing and if Federer continues to play on much longer his win/loss record will only get worse. To only be down only to the next generation of top players at this time in his career is not too bad. No matter how much I dislike him (for other reasons than his play) I cannot question his record.

Strangely Federer leads Novak on clay and grass still! Nadal on the other hand leads Federer on both clay and hard courts but Federer has the edge on grass.  Murray and Federer seem never to have played on clay and Murray is better only on hard courts.  The comparisons are endless. At present there are likely to be the three top players for next year (assuming that Murray recovers from his back problem) and we must discard Roger F as unlikely to challenge them regularly. I expect he will have some very good tournaments but as Novak said he is a lot slower so will find it more difficult?

The photos were sad. How do people get to do those things? By the way where is McEnroe these days to add the spice with his comments on the players? Boris Becker was promoting Berdych last night. He seems to have lost it. I do though detect that the others are starting to realise that Federer, however good he may have been, has a "sell by date"?

IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Roger Federer « Reply #215 on: November 08, 2013, 08:26 AM »

I think all agree that Federer has been good but the top order is changing and if Federer continues to play on much longer his win/loss record will only get worse.

I think about this a lot. By carrying on, he's polluting his win-loss records vs the others and tarnishing his legacy, but he might just fluke one more slam... must drive him mad. Sad. Not.

BTW, the win-loss vs the other 3 works both ways - he had some easy wins vs them before they matured - now they get the easy wins at the end. It's a natural process. Like life.
IP Logged
marathonarthur
Challenger Level

Re: Roger Federer « Reply #216 on: November 08, 2013, 09:17 AM »

I think about this a lot. By carrying on, he's polluting his win-loss records vs the others and tarnishing his legacy, but he might just fluke one more slam... must drive him mad. Sad. Not.

BTW, the win-loss vs the other 3 works both ways - he had some easy wins vs them before they matured - now they get the easy wins at the end. It's a natural process. Like life.

You are quite right about the make up of wins and losses. It can only get worse for him.

Saturday will be a big day for Roger Federer. His supporters at the O2 will be out in force to will him to beat Del Potro. Having seen the Argentinian support at the Olympic bronze medal match it could be noisy! If he does not win I wonder whether he will have the same confidence and enough to challenge at the slams next year.   Del Potro needs the win too for his confidence. His attention span has seemed limited this week with only patches of really good tennis. I wonder whether losing his rosary and other personal things last week is still on his mind?

I cannot see either getting past Nadal to the final at present as he is switched on this week. He wants this championship win.  I am just hoping that Stan takes the opportunity to get to the semis if RF doesn't. A sort of symetry that he takes over for Swiss tennis. He may continue onwards and upwards if he progresses here.
IP Logged
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Relax All is good!

Re: Roger Federer « Reply #217 on: November 19, 2013, 10:09 AM »

Richard, Krajicek, tournament director of ABNAMRO WTT said that Federer still asks the same amount of money to start in a tournament ( 1 milj euro's...) as he did when he was the number one.

Last year he lost in the QF against Benneteau....so in Rotterdam next february he will not be asked to come again. In stead of Federer now will play: Raonic, Haas, Berdych, Wawrinka, Tsonga, Gasquet, (and Del Potro and Dimitrov, so was last year..) Better this way!

IP Logged
marathonarthur
Challenger Level

Re: Roger Federer « Reply #218 on: November 19, 2013, 10:59 AM »

Richard, Krajicek, tournament director of ABNAMRO WTT said that Federer still asks the same amount of money to start in a tournament ( 1 milj euro's...) as he did when he was the number one.

Last year he lost in the QF against Benneteau....so in Rotterdam next february he will not be asked to come again. In stead of Federer now will play: Raonic, Haas, Berdych, Wawrinka, Tsonga, Gasquet, (and Del Potro and Dimitrov, so was last year..) Better this way!

Any chance of Andy playing?  I could go perhaps?
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Roger Federer « Reply #219 on: November 19, 2013, 02:18 PM »

Prediction: Fed to finish outside the top 20 next year.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Roger Federer « Reply #220 on: November 19, 2013, 03:56 PM »

Berdych had a bad year in 2013, the only player in the top 12 to NOT win an ATP Tournament, and there was quite a few players outside the top ten who have won ATP tournaments. Roger being one of the top ten who won a 250 ATP.
IP Logged
marathonarthur
Challenger Level

Re: Roger Federer « Reply #221 on: November 19, 2013, 04:24 PM »

Prediction: Fed to finish outside the top 20 next year.

Now that is a bit harsh. I said 8 for this year and he scrapped enough points to hang on to 6th (just). I do think that 10th might be a struggle next year. If he drops his appearance money demands (is that true above?) he might get to play more and have a chance to avoid dropping rapidly? Perhaps he will aim to play only the slams and as little he thinks he can get away with to still have a chance to make it to the WTF? Do a Williams? These players hardly need the money?
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Roger Federer « Reply #222 on: November 19, 2013, 05:40 PM »

Now that is a bit harsh. I said 8 for this year and he scrapped enough points to hang on to 6th (just). I do think that 10th might be a struggle next year. If he drops his appearance money demands (is that true above?) he might get to play more and have a chance to avoid dropping rapidly? Perhaps he will aim to play only the slams and as little he thinks he can get away with to still have a chance to make it to the WTF? Do a Williams? These players hardly need the money?

What exactly is doing a Williams?
[ Last edit by GangstaMurray November 19, 2013, 06:49 PM ] IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Roger Federer « Reply #223 on: November 19, 2013, 07:54 PM »

I think Williams only enters big tournaments so she does not play many tournaments. I think that's what is meant.
IP Logged
rob92
ATP Level

Re: Roger Federer « Reply #224 on: November 19, 2013, 07:58 PM »

I think Williams only enters big tournaments so she does not play many tournaments. I think that's what is meant.
Williams has played a full schedule this year. Played the most in her life.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 ... 23 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »