Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Roland Garros, 2010 - Other Players 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 45 Go Down Reply
Author

Roland Garros, 2010 - Other Players

(Read 6994 times)
Daisy
John McEnroe

Roland Garros, 2010 - Other Players « on: May 16, 2010, 08:56 AM »

Only one more week to go ...

Withdrawals and Replacements

There have been five withdrawals from the men's singles: Russia's Nikolay Davydenko (left wrist), neo-American Tommy Haas (right hip), Argentina's Juan Martin Del Potro (right wrist), Russia's Igor Andreev (left ankle) and American James Blake (right knee). They will be replaced by Michal Przysiezny (POL), Daniel Gimeno-Traver (ESP), Paolo Lorenzi (ITA), Ricardo Mello (BRA) and Kevin Anderson (RSA).
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Roland Garros, 2010 - Other Players « Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 08:58 AM »

The eight wild cards for the men's singles

- Carsten BALL (AUS)*
- David GUEZ (FRA)
- Nicolas MAHUT (FRA)
- Gianni MINA (FRA)
- Josselin OUANNA (FRA)
- Laurent RECOUDERC (FRA)
- Edouard ROGER-VASSELIN (FRA)
- Ryan SWEETING (USA)*
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Roland Garros, 2010 - Other Players « Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 09:06 AM »

An Article on the Two Andy's ... (never heard Murraymania, referred to as Andy-monium before !)

Paris is certainly not a happy hunting ground for English-speakers – in the men’s draw at least. Every year, the US press laments the country’s lack of presence in the second week, while in the UK, the clay of Roland Garros is seen as a necessary evil that somehow seems to get in the way of the real business of tennis – namely hyping up the latest great British hope (Andy Murray having taken over the mantle of “Tiger” Tim Henman) on the lawns at Wimbledon.

This year, things are unlikely to be significantly different at Roland Garros, even though the competition has been reduced with world No.5 Juan Martin del Potro definitely out of the running due to a wrist injury and No.6 Nikolay Davydenko also doubtful. Roddick’s lack of penchant for the red dirt has long been an accepted fact, so much so that he was not present in Rome at the ATP Masters tournament on the surface.

He will “warm up” for the French Open at Madrid, and then play for as long as he can stay in the tournament, with at least one eye firmly on the grass season and Wimbledon, where he pushed Roger Federer all the way in a five-set marathon final last year. At least he is actually due to play in Paris this year, having chosen to celebrate his engagement to swimsuit model Brooklyn Decker with a beach holiday during Roland Garros in 2008.

Draconian fitness regime

Murray meanwhile at least talks a good game on clay, even if results are yet to back him up. He has a good kicking service, excellent slices and deft drop-shots – all the right ingredients for the red brick – but makes no bones about the fact that if and when a Grand Slam title comes, it will likely be on hard courts (to the chagrin of the Wimbledon fans who are trying to replace Henmania with Murraymania, or Andy-monium to give it its catchier title).

He lost to eventual finalist David Ferrer in Rome, and was quick to take the positives out of his play. “This week I just felt so much better than I did in Monte Carlo(where he lost to Philipp Kohlschreiber at the first hurdle, taking only three games) because I was able to play and practise and get into shape. It's a long, long stretch coming up with the French Open and Wimbledon and obviously I don't want to take time off.”

Again, the W-word was thrown in there. English-speaking Andys have a tendency to look past Paris towards London. They are both excellent tennis players with an all-round game capable of getting results on any surface, despite the preferences which they naturally have.

We can but hope against hope that Messrs Murray and Roddick cause a few surprises on red dirt this year, and for the Scotsman in particular, this is an important time in his career. With Del Potro and Davydenko possibly out, he has a chance to go deep at the French, but with Robin Soderling, David Ferrer and Fernando Verdasco all breathing down his neck and relishing a Slam on clay, not to mention Marin Cilic who eliminated him here in Paris last year, he needs all the ranking points he can get.

For Roddick as well, this could be the opportunity for him to show that he is an all-round player as opposed to “just” a fast-courter. He has made enormous strides over the past 18 months in terms of fitness, shedding excess pounds thanks to a draconian fitness regime imposed by coach Larry Stefanki, and also movement, as he demonstrated by gliding around the court to victory at the ATP Masters in Miami barely a month ago. A good showing at the French could see him leap up the rankings and take over the mantle of the “best of the Andys”...

IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: Roland Garros, 2010 - Other Players « Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 12:21 PM »

Marin Cilic beat Andy at the French last year? That's funny. He must have disguised himself as Fernando Gonzalez.
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Roland Garros, 2010 - Other Players « Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 12:47 PM »

Looks like the author has the French & US Open mixed up.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Roland Garros, 2010 - Other Players « Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 05:29 PM »

Only one more week to go ...

Withdrawals and Replacements

There have been five withdrawals from the men's singles: Russia's Nikolay Davydenko (left wrist), neo-American Tommy Haas (right hip), Argentina's Juan Martin Del Potro (right wrist), Russia's Igor Andreev (left ankle) and American James Blake (right knee). They will be replaced by Michal Przysiezny (POL), Daniel Gimeno-Traver (ESP), Paolo Lorenzi (ITA), Ricardo Mello (BRA) and Kevin Anderson (RSA).

Between them they've got most the main joints mentioned lol

Only replacement I recognise is Gilmeno-Traver, had a few decent results last year in a few tournies

Can't believe it's only a week till the French!!
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Roland Garros, 2010 - Other Players « Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 05:31 PM »

And Kevin Anderson, I recognise him  ..... think he's getting a little long in the tooth.
IP Logged
Allan
Grand Slam Champion

It's 2013!

Re: Roland Garros, 2010 - Other Players « Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 07:45 PM »

Andy beat Kevin Anderson in R1 in Melbourne. Michal Przysiezny was part of the Poland team that defeated GB in Davis Cup last September.
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: Roland Garros, 2010 - Other Players « Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 07:57 PM »

Thanks Daisy for all the info. Rafa has won in Madrid and the next stop is the Open - he wants the title back!!
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Roland Garros, 2010 - Other Players « Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 08:23 PM »

Thanks Daisy for all the info. Rafa has won in Madrid and the next stop is the Open - he wants the title back!!
You can't always get what you want!  RG will be quite fascinating.  Does the draw automatically separate Nadal and Fed?  Sorry, but I'm not sure how it all works?  retard 
IP Logged
Yamor
Top Seed

Re: Roland Garros, 2010 - Other Players « Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 08:57 PM »

Yes, they can't meet till the final.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Roland Garros, 2010 - Other Players « Reply #11 on: May 16, 2010, 09:01 PM »

^ Thanks, chuck... I was relying on you to reply.  I thought it was the case, but wasn't sure. 

I'm just wondering what the chances are of it NOT being a Fed, Nadal final?  I know there may be upsets, but it seems like a given... Frown  Is it just me, or is it just getting boring.... yawn  I mean, you can't take anything away from these guys, but in terms of entertainment....
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Roland Garros, 2010 - Other Players « Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 09:09 PM »

B.O.R.I.N.G. ............ whip

Clay is not everyone's cup of tea - maybe you need to hibernate till Wimbledon.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Roland Garros, 2010 - Other Players « Reply #13 on: May 16, 2010, 09:10 PM »

B.O.R.I.N.G. ............ whip

Clay is not everyone's cup of tea - maybe you need to hibernate till Wimbledon.
Very Sad 
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Roland Garros, 2010 - Other Players « Reply #14 on: May 16, 2010, 09:12 PM »

Definitely going to get the cattle prod out ..... lol
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 45 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »