Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Roland Garros, 2010 - Other Players 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 [45] Go Down Reply
Author

Roland Garros, 2010 - Other Players

(Read 6558 times)
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Roland Garros, 2010 - Other Players « Reply #660 on: June 06, 2010, 05:47 PM »

One of the things I noticed about him (and this is partly what endears him to his host of fans) is that he turned to acknowledge Queen Sofia and then never turned his back on her again - remained facing her for the remainder of his speech.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Roland Garros, 2010 - Other Players « Reply #661 on: June 06, 2010, 06:00 PM »

yes He not only has exquisite manners but also knows the proper etiquette Smile
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Roland Garros, 2010 - Other Players « Reply #662 on: June 06, 2010, 06:01 PM »

We're absolutely in agreement on that one Hazel.

Am on a downer, now that RG has finished ... withdrawal symptoms!

How are you today ...
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Roland Garros, 2010 - Other Players « Reply #663 on: June 06, 2010, 06:09 PM »

We're absolutely in agreement on that one Hazel.

Am on a downer, now that RG has finished ... withdrawal symptoms!

How are you today ...

But now we have Queens and then Wimbledon yay

Ah not too bad, not much better but managing. Decided that sewing doesn't seem to make me much worse which at least gives me something to do with my time Smile
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Roland Garros, 2010 - Other Players « Reply #664 on: June 06, 2010, 06:11 PM »

But now we have Queens and then Wimbledon yay

Ah not too bad, not much better but managing. Decided that sewing doesn't seem to make me much worse which at least gives me something to do with my time Smile

Yes - we have the short grass swing, and at least we don't have to wait for ever for it.  I just always get a little down-ish at the end of a big tournament.

Glad that you are able to do a little something and not be overwhelmed with pain while you are doing it ... Very Happy
IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Roland Garros, 2010 - Other Players « Reply #665 on: June 07, 2010, 05:50 PM »

So, Soderling has come out today and said that "Nadal only has one game" ... guess we will have to call him Sour-Grapes-Soderling from now on ....
IP Logged
Philip
Seed

Re: Roland Garros, 2010 - Other Players « Reply #666 on: June 07, 2010, 07:49 PM »

From what I saw yesterday, Nadal had :

1) Incredible movement around the court to retrieve balls that most people couldn't reach
2) Good & consistent top spin FH and BH ,  especially the powerful FH that can turn from standard defence into a wicked attack down the line allowing Nadal to stay forever in a rally and turn defence into attack when the opportunity presents itself
3) Incredible racket speed whipped FH cross court when the ball is low
4) Tremendous character, strength of Will. Always in control of his emotion and never gives up.  A humble character and always quick to praise his opponent's achievements after a match.
5) Incredible first serve percentage. At 1 stage in the 3rd set, Nadal had 95% of 1st serve in !
6) Astute use of angles.  The top spin allows Nadal to hit balls so that it dips down before reaching the service line and angles away from the opponent to draw them out of position.  Soderling flatter FH and BH doesn't allow him to do this so Soderling shots are deeper but can not go as far sideways.
7) Nadal excellent ball control and top spin which easily clears the net allows Nadal to direct it to either the BH or FH, giving him the option to change the ball direction at will.   Soderling flatter hitting meant he mostly hit his BH cross court (over the lowest part of the net to minimise risk) and straight into Nadal FH hitting zone
8) Nadal top spin allows him, if he so desire, to delay hitting the ball till the last moment, waiting for the opponent to commit and then wrong foot them.
9) Ability to consistently hit his FH near to side line and mostly get them in for winners when the opportunities arrive
10) Ability to slide on clay on BOTH the left and right side.  Against Soderling, I always had the impression that Nadal was always in the rally, ready to return any point.  Soderling more risky powerplay often gave me the impression that sooner or later he will make a mistake as his shots had little margin clearing the net or the side/back lines of the court, whereas I felt Nadal could keep things going forever.
11) Intelligent play.  In the 1st set when Soderling was able to consistently hit his shots to Nadal BH,  Nadal was guiding his BH back to Soderling BH and FH alternately to keep Soderling running left and right chasing balls until Soderling loses the point.  Nadal knew that he didn't need to win using his FH.

On more careful analysis, I would say that Soderling play is more 1 dimensional.  He was consistently hitting the more risky fast/flat attacking balls which barely clears the net and deep into the FH and BH.  Soderling didn't use the slice to vary the speed.  He hardly ever came into the net and volley and when he did, he looked ill at ease.

Nadal is a true King of Clay (better than Borg IMO) and has developed into an all rounder able to compete on all surfaces.
[ Last edit by Philip June 07, 2010, 08:19 PM ] IP Logged
Daisy
John McEnroe

Re: Roland Garros, 2010 - Other Players « Reply #667 on: June 07, 2010, 07:51 PM »

So that ^ explains why Soderling is claiming he only has one game .... Whistle
IP Logged
Rhino Kiss

Re: Roland Garros, 2010 - Other Players « Reply #668 on: June 26, 2010, 01:17 PM »

Anyone not Scottish
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 [45] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »