Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, Monday, Estimated time - 8:00pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Roland Garros 2012 - the other players 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 Go Down Reply
Author

Roland Garros 2012 - the other players

(Read 8461 times)
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Roland Garros 2012 - the other players « Reply #765 on: June 11, 2012, 12:38 PM »

Raining again... will this have any effect? 4-4
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Roland Garros 2012 - the other players « Reply #766 on: June 11, 2012, 01:05 PM »

Nole ends on double fault to give Rafa the win.
Rod Laver will be happy.
I think if the match had continued last night, Nole would have won. He took 8 straight games off Rafa before play was suspended.
Congrats to Rafa.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Roland Garros 2012 - the other players « Reply #767 on: June 11, 2012, 01:10 PM »

Well done to Rafa, 7 RGs, incredible.

Conceding the title on a double fault? Get it up you, Nole. Very Happy
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Roland Garros 2012 - the other players « Reply #768 on: June 11, 2012, 01:10 PM »

Nole ends on double fault to give Rafa the win.
Rod Laver will be happy.
I think if the match had continued last night, Nole would have won. He took 8 straight games off Rafa before play was suspended.
Congrats to Rafa.
so will Fed !!! Great by Nadal.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Roland Garros 2012 - the other players « Reply #769 on: June 11, 2012, 02:06 PM »

I was following the score on my phone so couldn’t tell how it all ended. Surprised to read that it was a DF. So very unlike Nole.

Anyway, I really do think that the last rain delay completely favoured Nadal and went against Nole. If there’s really such a thing as luck then you can see how it doesn’t favour Nole.

Unfortunately, Nole is a zone player and he loves to build the momentum as he goes along and that’s exactly what was happening yesterday, but then along came the rain. Today Nole didn’t even get a chance to start emotionally where he left off things and got broken immediately instead. No coincidence there. Would have been so nice had he won.

I just can’t stand either Nadal or Federer winning another Slam and it’s not good for Andy either, but here we are once again. He did have a cake draw and Ferrer pretty much handed the match to him and lastly, the rain just poured in when he needed it the most. Had it gone to the 5th, there was no coming back for Nadal. Hopefully this is it for him.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Roland Garros 2012 - the other players « Reply #770 on: June 11, 2012, 02:32 PM »

I was following the score on my phone so couldn’t tell how it all ended. Surprised to read that it was a DF. So very unlike Nole.

Anyway, I really do think that the last rain delay completely favoured Nadal and went against Nole. If there’s really such a thing as luck then you can see how it doesn’t favour Nole.

Unfortunately, Nole is a zone player and he loves to build the momentum as he goes along and that’s exactly what was happening yesterday, but then along came the rain. Today Nole didn’t even get a chance to start emotionally where he left off things and got broken immediately instead. No coincidence there. Would have been so nice had he won.

I just can’t stand either Nadal or Federer winning another Slam and it’s not good for Andy either, but here we are once again. He did have a cake draw and Ferrer pretty much handed the match to him and lastly, the rain just poured in when he needed it the most. Had it gone to the 5th, there was no coming back for Nadal. Hopefully this is it for him.

Yep, my thoughts too. The rain played a huge role in Nadal's victory. Nole had all the momentum. Such a shame. Had the result been different today it could have made a big difference for the rest of the season, and would really have opened the door at Wimbledon. I'll be surprised if Djokovic doesn't defend his Wimbledon crown now.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Roland Garros 2012 - the other players « Reply #771 on: June 11, 2012, 02:50 PM »

.............  but the rain also played a huge part in the way the match was going last night.  The court being wet and the balls so slow virtually negated Nadal's blistering forehand and topspin, hence the loss of 8 straight games.  The weather often plays it's part in outdoor tournaments - take the Henman/Ivanisovic match at Wimbledon - it's all part of the game! 

Was just about to post the same thing!
Without the rain, it could well have been Nadal in 3.

IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Roland Garros 2012 - the other players « Reply #772 on: June 11, 2012, 03:00 PM »

Poor Errani. Frown She has nice eyes.
Oh? I thought you were a 'leg man'!  Whistle
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Roland Garros 2012 - the other players « Reply #773 on: June 11, 2012, 03:01 PM »

Yep, my thoughts too. The rain played a huge role in Nadal's victory. Nole had all the momentum. Such a shame. Had the result been different today it could have made a big difference for the rest of the season, and would really have opened the door at Wimbledon. I'll be surprised if Djokovic doesn't defend his Wimbledon crown now.

With this win, Nadal will be a bit too confident going forward and will be too keen on winning Wimbledon as well. Last year, while Nadal did win RG, he didn’t win it beating Nole and Nole, at that point, still had the mental advantage over Nadal but this year, clearly, the table has changed with this win. The chances of Andy winning a Slam this year - be it Wimbledon or USO - have now significantly lower because of today’s result. I fail to see how a true Andy fan would want a Nadal win when this completely jeopardizes Andy’s chances this year. Oh well…looks like this year too an will be an ongoing battle between Nadal and Novak.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Roland Garros 2012 - the other players « Reply #774 on: June 11, 2012, 03:04 PM »

Pleased for Rafa. Smile 7 RG titles is a brilliant achievement and has cemented his place as one of the greatest claycourt players ever.

Watching how Novak fought back from 2 sets down though, I'd still put him as favourite for their future meetings off clay though. Wimbledon will be interesting, though I hope we have a break from Rafa/Novak finals there.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Roland Garros 2012 - the other players « Reply #775 on: June 11, 2012, 03:06 PM »

Was just about to post the same thing!
Without the rain, it could well have been Nadal in 3.

Whatever, Nadal capitalized on Djokovic's nerves with his usual bully boy tactics to take the 1st set.
It was cool the way Novak didnt just run to the
net and wait for Nadal.
Rafa has to be the favorite now for Wimbledon but Novak simply has the game to beat him, particularly on the BH side.
But there were way too many errors and although the rain stopped Rafa looping the ball somewhat as it did Murray against Ferrer the conditions hampered Novak considerably esp at the end.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Roland Garros 2012 - the other players « Reply #776 on: June 11, 2012, 03:09 PM »

With this win, Nadal will be a bit too confident going forward and will be too keen on winning Wimbledon as well. Last year, while Nadal did win RG, he didn’t win it beating Nole and Nole, at that point, still had the mental advantage over Nadal but this year, clearly, the table has changed with this win. The chances of Andy winning a Slam this year - be it Wimbledon or USO - have now significantly lower because of today’s result. I fail to see how a true Andy fan would want a Nadal win when this completely jeopardizes Andy’s chances this year. Oh well…looks like this year too an will be an ongoing battle between Nadal and Novak.

If Andy fully implements an aggressive forehand approach by the time of the US Open he can take out Nadal there, this year, but then so should Novak.
I still think he has a chance at an upset at Wimbledon too as he did last year, but we shall see if he is ready to step up.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Roland Garros 2012 - the other players « Reply #777 on: June 11, 2012, 03:20 PM »

If Andy fully implements an aggressive forehand approach by the time of the US Open he can take out Nadal there, this year, but then so should Novak.
I still think he has a chance at an upset at Wimbledon too as he did last year, but we shall see if he is ready to step up.

I am getting the feeling Andy's best chances are with USO now. Wimbledon comes with highest pressure and now I feel, Nole will be too keen on defending it but after that, both should be out of it - Nadal and Nole, and so that leaves Andy. I know Federer is still there but he may get ousted by someone else. I'd love Andy to win Wimbledon though. This is the ultimate Slam for Andy and I'd love to see the reactions of Andy, his team, family, Kim and the whole country. What magical moment would that be!
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Roland Garros 2012 - the other players « Reply #778 on: June 11, 2012, 03:25 PM »

Whatever, Nadal capitalized on Djokovic's nerves with his usual bully boy tactics to take the 1st set.
It was cool the way Novak didnt just run to the
net and wait for Nadal.
Rafa has to be the favorite now for Wimbledon but Novak simply has the game to beat him, particularly on the BH side.
But there were way too many errors and although the rain stopped Rafa looping the ball somewhat as it did Murray against Ferrer the conditions hampered Novak considerably esp at the end.

Indeed whatever. I mean Nole had played two back to back 5 set matches where he came back in both and the rain didn't delay anthing as there was none. Besides, Nole's draw was much tougher than Nadal's. Nadal played a bunch of dirt ballers who pretty much gave up even before it started, whereas both Seppi and Tsogna really took it to Nole and Federe is now slouch on the couch, yet Nole handled him in straight. But that doesn’t baffle me. What baffles me is that some Murray fans have absolutely idea as to what is best for Andy.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Roland Garros 2012 - the other players « Reply #779 on: June 11, 2012, 03:27 PM »

Absolutely. It's all about money after all and he does have millions of deluded fan girls to support him.

Anyway, I hope you are right about Nole winning RG going forward. Most likely scenario so I agree. Besides, Nadal won't continue to live on forever on a tennis court. The sooner the demise the better it is for Andy.

Or Andy, like Novak has done spectacularly the last 18 months, could actually taking the initiative & start actually beating Nadal as well. Its not unthinkable he was at 2 all per year for a few a while back. Nadal has little potential now unlike Murray its all about his legacy but i highly doubt he will be knocking off the channel slams with ease ever again.
If he does lose the FO and Wimbledon next year i think
he just might pack it in. Either way in fact as he will have little else to aim for on the clay & might want to keep his body/health intact.
We'll see, but I doubt he will be around for much longer and might even retire before Roger going out on a high rather than a wimper.
Novak shall not have the weight of history bearing down on him next year in the same way as this one.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »