Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Rome 2012, the other players 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 Go Down Reply
Author

Rome 2012, the other players

(Read 3902 times)
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Rome 2012, the other players « Reply #150 on: May 21, 2012, 03:24 PM »

Rafa definitely seems to have got his mojo back now. Smile Really good performance from him today, managing to take the match away from Novak. Lots of unforced errors from Novak today - his level definitely isn't what it was last year.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Rome 2012, the other players « Reply #151 on: May 21, 2012, 03:33 PM »

I agree - on that showing RG is Rafa's for the taking I would say.

Does anyone know whether Rafa will be seeded 2 or 3 for RG - are the seedings done on this morning's rankings or will they take the Rome result into account?
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Rome 2012, the other players « Reply #152 on: May 21, 2012, 04:13 PM »

I agree - on that showing RG is Rafa's for the taking I would say.

Does anyone know whether Rafa will be seeded 2 or 3 for RG - are the seedings done on this morning's rankings or will they take the Rome result into account?

I disagree, Rafa was alright but Novak was dreadful spraying errors everywhere, RG should sharpen everything up gamewise for both and I do believe that Rafa still has a problem with the kind of pressure Novak can apply, when he applies it of course. But Today was not to be the day.
I will still give Nadal the edge for RG.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rome 2012, the other players « Reply #153 on: May 21, 2012, 04:14 PM »

They haven't updated the rankings so it looks like they were waiting for the Rome final to be played.

I wonder if Novak is feeling the strain of trying to emulate his successes last year?
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Rome 2012, the other players « Reply #154 on: May 21, 2012, 04:22 PM »

They haven't updated the rankings so it looks like they were waiting for the Rome final to be played.

I wonder if Novak is feeling the strain of trying to emulate his successes last year?

For sure unless you have a "weak era" to benefit from
it must be enormously difficult to do it all again. He is just not playing as well as he did last year so far. However with the opportunity to get a career slam a golden slam and his first RG, i suspect we will see the Novak of old in the next few weeks as there are some major incentives to clear out the cobwebs.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Rome 2012, the other players « Reply #155 on: May 21, 2012, 04:35 PM »

I think they'll be 1 and 2 at Garros.
Agree Nole has gone down a notch from last year and that awful line call, which would've been a set point, really got to him and upset the balance of the match. Up to then I was thinking that Nole really had the measure of Rafa and was better than him in every department.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Rome 2012, the other players « Reply #156 on: May 21, 2012, 04:42 PM »

I think they'll be 1 and 2 at Garros.
Agree Nole has gone down a notch from last year and that awful line call, which would've been a set point, really got to him and upset the balance of the match. Up to then I was thinking that Nole really had the measure of Rafa and was better than him in every department.

Do you think his Grandfather is floating around the court still?
There was a gloomy vibe and not just due to the weather.
My view is if Novak is playing at his best he'll beat Nadal more often than not going on, but he really has got to get it together fast or Rafa will run away with everything.
I wonder if Andy will be more confident using his forehand aggressively against nadal should they meet at Wimbledon. He will have to be firing on all cylinders and taking the ball early if he is to stand a chance.
He did for a set last year and then choked timidly and gave it away. Ah well.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Rome 2012, the other players « Reply #157 on: May 21, 2012, 04:50 PM »

theycanbillme: r u interested in doing a challenge pick for RG? It's not like here, u make one pick for the whole tournament. If u r, message me.
Anyone else too. Gr8 fun and quite competitive Smile

Back to the tennis, yes I think Nole's best beats Rafa's best. And certainly the Nole of last year would not have got so dejected so quickly.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Rome 2012, the other players « Reply #158 on: May 21, 2012, 04:59 PM »

It's never been tighter or more intense at the top of men's tennis. It seems all 3 men have respectively raised or dropped their level to be pretty much even. Sadly, right now, it's an equation that doesn't include Muzzah. I think we'll hear much more about the 'Big Three' from now on.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Rome 2012, the other players « Reply #159 on: May 21, 2012, 05:04 PM »

If I'm honest BBH i would say not too interested.
I'm not really into betting and that kind of thing.
Appreciate the invite though  hug
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Rome 2012, the other players « Reply #160 on: May 21, 2012, 05:06 PM »

It's never been tighter or more intense at the top of men's tennis. It seems all 3 men have respectively raised or dropped their level to be pretty much even. Sadly, right now, it's an equation that doesn't include Muzzah. I think we'll hear much more about the 'Big Three' from now on.

Did i read from you Grabcopy that you think Andy probably  won't win a slam due to the intensity of the players nowadays.
From whom exactly?
Novak = No Intensity
Roger = Fading Intensity
Nadal = see above

edit I mean right now of course but I'm not convinced either Rafa or Roger have more than a couple of years to go, and Roger to me just hasn't got another slam in him unless the tennis Gods give him the perfect alignment of stars.
[ Last edit by theycanbillme May 21, 2012, 05:12 PM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rome 2012, the other players « Reply #161 on: May 21, 2012, 05:08 PM »

Do you think his Grandfather is floating around the court still?
There was a gloomy vibe and not just due to the weather.
It wouldn't surprise me at all if Djoko is still feeling pretty raw after his granddad's death, given how close they were.  He's very tough mentally but a bereavement like that knocks the stuffing out of most people for a while.  Also it certainly puts things into perspective, so maybe winning tournaments isn't the uppermost thing in his mind at the moment.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Rome 2012, the other players « Reply #162 on: May 21, 2012, 05:15 PM »

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Djoko is still feeling pretty raw after his granddad's death, given how close they were.  He's very tough mentally but a bereavement like that knocks the stuffing out of most people for a while.  Also it certainly puts things into perspective, so maybe winning tournaments isn't the uppermost thing in his mind at the moment.

I agree, but RG should be a turning point, given what's at stake.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Rome 2012, the other players « Reply #163 on: May 21, 2012, 05:17 PM »

If I'm honest BBH i would say not too interested.
I'm not really into betting and that kind of thing.
Appreciate the invite though  hug

Lol, nothing to do with betting!
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Rome 2012, the other players « Reply #164 on: May 21, 2012, 05:22 PM »

Federer got lucky in Madrid. First of play, the court played really fast and nothing at all like the real red clay. Second, he didn't have to face any of the main defenders (Rafa, Nole and Andy) who seem to give him enormous amount of trouble (just look at the H2Hs). Federer is very good at playing against other attackers but when it comes to players like Rafa, Andy and Nole, he's a bit clueless, because these players have world class defense but not only that, they can attack from their defensive position just as well and that creates a lot of trouble for a attacking player like Federer.

Just take a look at the Federer vs Novak match just the other day. Not only Nole defended his position very well, but he also kept the balls very deep and hit it with a lot of spin and really hard. This kept Federer most of the time out of his own attacking zone and he was pushed back a few feet behind the baseline and was unable to generate any decent attack. When he finally did it was either long or wide because the hitting range wasn't right or within his comfort zone and he is not used to hit winner being a few feet behind the baseline. Other attackers don’t give him this sort of problems as they tend to attack even more and Federer just have to wait for them to destroy themselves.

So my final conclusion, Federer is still winning titles on the off chance.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »