Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Rome 2012, the other players 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 Go Down Reply
Author

Rome 2012, the other players

(Read 4162 times)
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Rome 2012, the other players « Reply #180 on: May 22, 2012, 11:33 AM »

Eyebrow raise.

I've found another comment from Nole about the match and I believe he's been taking lessons from Fedex

Djokovic said: "I made a lot of unforced errors. In my opinion I don't think he played extremely well but I made a lot of errors that can't happen when you play against Nadal.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/18150412

But Rafa didn't play that well.
And Djokovic made way too many errors.
Its an accurate assessment, although i think  it might have been best not to go there in public. When Federer comes out with this sort of thing however it can often be fullblown deluded.
[ Last edit by theycanbillme May 22, 2012, 11:37 AM ] IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Rome 2012, the other players « Reply #181 on: May 22, 2012, 12:22 PM »

I only caught a few games and Rafa may not have played very well but well enough to win and that's what it usually comes down to, the better player winning.  Does sound a bit Fedesque though Very Happy and the recent Davis cup loss comes to mind Whistle

Did I also hear that Nole got a warning for racket abuse?
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Rome 2012, the other players « Reply #182 on: May 22, 2012, 12:40 PM »

Oh he is hardly the perfect sportsman. Remember Cincinatti when he lost that first set against Andy and then retired from the final to stop being bageled?
It meant Andy had won the title without truly "beating" Novak, or at least I'm sure that's how he would have viewed it himself.
The "injury" he had, magically corrected itself in time for him to win the US Open a few weeks later.
At best it was a niggle and a convienient excuse to retire. Had he won the first set I'm sure it would have been ignored. Its something he's done before in the past but not the behaviour of a World No 1 in my view.
One thing you can say at least about Federer is he would never have done that.
[ Last edit by theycanbillme May 22, 2012, 01:30 PM ] IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Rome 2012, the other players « Reply #183 on: May 22, 2012, 12:43 PM »

No, I don't think I've ever heard of Fedex retiring from a match.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rome 2012, the other players « Reply #184 on: May 22, 2012, 05:29 PM »

Fedex was once reported as saying that "Once I'm on court, I stay on court".   I don't recall him calling for the trainer either - but then his his style of play doesn't lend itself to injuries because it's so fluid.

IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Rome 2012, the other players « Reply #185 on: May 23, 2012, 01:34 AM »

Fedex: “For me it is shocking to see so many retirements,” he added. “I have never retired in my whole life except once when I played against Blake in Paris, but I didn’t even walk on to the court. For me it doesn’t matter how bad I’m feeling, I will be out there and giving it a try, because you never know what’s gonna happen.”

http://www.tennis-x.com/xblog/2011-09-03/7869.php

Get's the goodjob for that. Very Happy

IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Rome 2012, the other players « Reply #186 on: May 26, 2012, 08:35 PM »

Not the smartest,
The Luckiest!

Lucky for sure to come at a time when no other champion was around.

When Sampras won his first slam, he had to beat  6th ranked Thomas Muster in the fourth round and 3rd ranked Ivan Lendl in a five-set quarterfinal, breaking Lendl's streak of eight consecutive US Open finals. He then went on to beat 20th-ranked McEnroe in a four-set semifinal to set up a final with fourth-ranked Agassi. Sampras then beat Agassi in straight sets to become the US Open's youngest-ever male singles champion at the age of 19 years and 28 days.

And he also wasn't lucky enough to have as good a health as Federer as Pete was born with a blood disorder in his system, for which he literally had to adjust his entire game for quick results. Initially he was a baseliner and with two handed backhand but later he switched to one handed backhand to adjust his S&V game. 

And it’s always the earlier stage of one’s career that’s known as the most critical path and Federer was blessed with some mental midgets around him while both Pete and Andy had to work really hard for it. 

But it’s also true that luck favours the brave but in Federe’s case, the path to success was already wide open. From 2003 to 2007, he literally had no one to threaten him either on hard courts or grass and in fact, I’ll go on to say that Nadal too was just as lucky to have not seen the kind of tought clay field the 90s saw, so he too capitalized most of it. And it’s no coincidence that Pete had to suffer a loss in 1996 at Wimbledon, the same year he made the RG semi.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Rome 2012, the other players « Reply #187 on: May 27, 2012, 06:35 AM »

How can you say "I have never retired in my whole life except once......."  doh
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rome 2012, the other players « Reply #188 on: May 28, 2012, 12:11 AM »

Dolgopolov is another player who suffers from a rare medical condition, but never makes it an excuse for a loss.  Quite amazing that he's got as far as he has done, but some players will battle just about anything in order to play the sport they love.  From his wikipedia -

Dolgopolov suffers from a hereditary disorder known as Gilbert's Syndrome, which affects his liver, blood and often causes fatigue, so much so that he has to rest for up to two weeks. His condition worsens when he has to cross continents in extensive travel, requiring intravenous drug treatments and monitored diets to get himself back on track.  Because of this he doesn't like to travel by air.

He talks about it in this article, "Blood Simple", by Peter Bodo, dated August 2010 (scroll down to the pic of Ferrrer)

http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2010/08/tk-8.html
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Rome 2012, the other players « Reply #189 on: May 28, 2012, 06:13 PM »

I am aware of Dolgo's condition and I believe those who follow the sport close enough are also aware of it as well. Pete also never used it as an excuse for any loss. But Pete was a far bigger player Dolgo will ever be, so obviously the threats were much bigger for him and he was constantly under the limelight, which frankly he never enjoyed, but he was asked many times about his condition and he'd almost always dodge the question. There was never a champion like him in history of tennis. He always wanted to be a great tennis player but never famous but unfortunately they go hand in hand. I always feel that he would have played a few more years, but the attention of being the greatest player at that time and the constant challlenge along with his physical condition sort of drained him out in the end. Federer, on the other hand, loves the attention and thrives on it, so I don't see him retiring any time soon, unfortunately.
[ Last edit by Emma Jean May 28, 2012, 06:48 PM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rome 2012, the other players « Reply #190 on: May 29, 2012, 02:06 AM »

I am aware of Dolgo's condition and I believe those who follow the sport close enough are also aware of it as well. Pete also never used it as an excuse for any loss. But Pete was a far bigger player Dolgo will ever be.
No doubt, but the fact remains that at the age of 23 Dolgo is inside the top 20 despite being handicapped by this debilitating condition, and that surely must count for something.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Rome 2012, the other players « Reply #191 on: May 29, 2012, 05:57 AM »

I love little Lollypop (Dolgo) He's a one off and so entertaining to watch.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Rome 2012, the other players « Reply #192 on: May 30, 2012, 03:21 PM »

No doubt, but the fact remains that at the age of 23 Dolgo is inside the top 20 despite being handicapped by this debilitating condition, and that surely must count for something.

Of course it counts for something but that was never the point. The subject matter is Pete Sampras here. Granted, despite his health issues which are quite unfortunate, Dolgo is inside top 20 but judging by his game, that's all the best he could do regardless. He's never the material of a champion like Laver or Sampras or Federer or Nadal or even Nole, not a lot is lost. In other words, the bigger the player the bigger the stake or the loss and that's the main point here. Also, not all losses are contributed to health issues and it doesn’t matter who the player is.

And if we are talking about health issues here strictly then I feel quite sorry for players like Ancic and Soderling who are affected by mono to the point that one had to retire and other one's future is still unknown. Even Nole had his breathing problems up until 2010 and how much of his results were affected by it only God knows.

Anyway, had Pete been healthy like Federer then maybe he would have won more Slams who knows but I guess it is what it is.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rome 2012, the other players « Reply #193 on: May 31, 2012, 01:12 AM »

Mono is hellish.  Somehow I can't see Soderling returning to the game any time soon, at least not from recent updates on his condition.  I hope he can just focus on getting himself well and let the tennis go, but maybe becoming a father might do just that by helping to let him see things in perspective.

It occurs to me that all the top 4 have, or have had, health issues.  Nole now seems to be managing his gluten intolerance;  Nadal was born with some abnormality in one of his feet for which he has to wear specially made tennis shoes and have regular pain-killing injections;  Federer had an unspecified back problem for years;  and Andy has to contend with his bipartite patella which can give him pain, especially sliding around on clay.  Very strange.
IP Logged
Hazybear
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Rome 2012, the other players « Reply #194 on: May 31, 2012, 10:19 AM »

em Aileen, this is the Rome not FO thread Wink
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »