Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Rome 2012, the other players 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 Go Down Reply
Author

Rome 2012, the other players

(Read 4193 times)
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Rome 2012, the other players « Reply #165 on: May 21, 2012, 05:32 PM »

Rafa definitely seems to have got his mojo back now. Smile Really good performance from him today, managing to take the match away from Novak. Lots of unforced errors from Novak today - his level definitely isn't what it was last year.

I really don’t think Rafa got his mojo back in the true sense. The match between Federer and Novak was key to Nole and he needed to win this match because of their last match at RG last year and I really feel Nole was looking forward to another encounter on clay this year and he finally did here in Rome. I don’t know if you watched the match between them but it was quite intense on Nole’s part. He was highly focused and gave a lot. Federer is still the 2nd best player on clay so it’s not still easy to beat him (RG last year, for example, when Nole was clearly the best man around yet he still ended up losing to Federer in the RG semi and that speaks volume), so that, in other words took a lot out of Nole and he just wasn’t as intense and focused today. And you have to be more than 100% against a player like Nadal on clay. So given all that, I don’t think RG is as sure a thing for Rafa as it’s made out to be. I am splitting this 60% - 40% between Rafa and Nole. Personally I’d love it if anyone other than Nadal or Federer won it.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Rome 2012, the other players « Reply #166 on: May 21, 2012, 05:33 PM »

So my final conclusion, Federer is still winning titles on the off chance.

Definitely. Look back at his recent titles run and the one in the autumn. How many times has he had to beat Rafa, the Joker or Andy?
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: Rome 2012, the other players « Reply #167 on: May 21, 2012, 05:34 PM »

It's never been tighter or more intense at the top of men's tennis. It seems all 3 men have respectively raised or dropped their level to be pretty much even. Sadly, right now, it's an equation that doesn't include Muzzah. I think we'll hear much more about the 'Big Three' from now on.
Sadly, Nigel, I agree with you. Andy will have to up his game and his consistency at playing his best to take this title and that he is not doing atthe moment. I keep hoping to be pleasantly surprised.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Rome 2012, the other players « Reply #168 on: May 21, 2012, 05:44 PM »

Federer got lucky in Madrid. First of play, the court played really fast and nothing at all like the real red clay. Second, he didn't have to face any of the main defenders (Rafa, Nole and Andy) who seem to give him enormous amount of trouble (just look at the H2Hs). Federer is very good at playing against other attackers but when it comes to players like Rafa, Andy and Nole, he's a bit clueless, because these players have world class defense but not only that, they can attack from their defensive position just as well and that creates a lot of trouble for a attacking player like Federer.

Just take a look at the Federer vs Novak match just the other day. Not only Nole defended his position very well, but he also kept the balls very deep and hit it with a lot of spin and really hard. This kept Federer most of the time out of his own attacking zone and he was pushed back a few feet behind the baseline and was unable to generate any decent attack. When he finally did it was either long or wide because the hitting range wasn't right or within his comfort zone and he is not used to hit winner being a few feet behind the baseline. Other attackers don’t give him this sort of problems as they tend to attack even more and Federer just have to wait for them to destroy themselves.

So my final conclusion, Federer is still winning titles on the off chance.

I agree, Novak now has Roger's number. Andy always did and has had a positive H2H with him almost from the start.
Federer has become something of a scavenger now, he's been very wise in his programme for the year. Its not even funny the way he has managed to sneak about and get his wins. But come the slams i doubt Roger will even get to play Novak or Rafa as much as he did last year.
Someone else will probably take him out before then.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Rome 2012, the other players « Reply #169 on: May 21, 2012, 05:57 PM »

Definitely. Look back at his recent titles run and the one in the autumn. How many times has he had to beat Rafa, the Joker or Andy?

He did beat Andy on that fast court in Dubai, his home away from home tournament. But Andy was hardly at his best was he, the back hand was awol for starters, a sure sign from him that all is not well, and he was still coming down from beating Berdych and Novak B2B so..
He beat rafa at IW but it was rainy and windy and so the low ball bounce worked in his favour. That match on a dry sunny day would have resulted in the one winner in my view.
What else?
Apart from the Indoor blow out by Rafa in the WTF.
Basically there has to be some kind of advantage for him to win.
He won't get past the other 3 when they are "on".
But then Nadal's 2 wins over Novak have something of a question mark to me as well.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Rome 2012, the other players « Reply #170 on: May 21, 2012, 06:00 PM »

I am sure both Roger and Paul have had lengthy discussions on the chances of  winning another Slam (that's their main goal after all) and they must know that Federer's chances are sliding greatly as he's aging each year and these guys are only getting stronger especially Nole and Andy (I know, I know Andy hasn't done much this year since AO but he's still the man to make all the semis just last year, mind you, a feat has been done only by 7 other men in the Open era and the mais season are yet to be played), so he has to rest a lot and schedule extremely smartly and that's exactly what he's been doing so far. He knows very well that the chances are vey slim beating two strong guys back to back at the top and there are other dangers lurking in the top 20. So he'll just have to wait for his opportunities until that happens and it has opened up for him in the lesser tournaments so far, but has yet to happen in a Slam, but I am sure they both believe it will happen eventually so until then...and so they wait.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Rome 2012, the other players « Reply #171 on: May 21, 2012, 06:03 PM »

He did beat Andy on that fast court in Dubai, his home away from home tournament. But Andy was hardly at his best was he, the back hand was awol for starters, a sure sign from him that all is not well, and he was still coming down from beating Berdych and Novak B2B so..
He beat rafa at IW but it was rainy and windy and so the low ball bounce worked in his favour. That match on a dry sunny day would have resulted in the one winner in my view.
What else?
Apart from the Indoor blow out by Rafa in the WTF.
Basically there has to be some kind of advantage for him to win.
He won't get past the other 3 when they are "on".
But then Nadal's 2 wins over Novak have something of a question mark to me as well.

Andy gave his all against his two recent nemesis (Berdych and Nole) and was barely there in the final, so yes, he wasn't his best at all and so Federer got another title out of it. Federer has to be the smartest player of all time if nothing.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Rome 2012, the other players « Reply #172 on: May 21, 2012, 06:06 PM »

Andy gave his all against his two recent nemesis (Berdych and Nole) and was barely there in the final, so yes, he wasn't his best at all and so Federer got another title out of it. Federer has to be the smartest player of all time if nothing.

Not the smartest,
The Luckiest!
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Rome 2012, the other players « Reply #173 on: May 21, 2012, 06:22 PM »

Fed has made one of the last 8 finals, I think. I'm not convinced he can beat Rafa and Nole in slams any more.
I think he has a last shot at Wimbledon this year but looking at his game, he is slower and he is less consistent.  When he was in his prime he couldn't beat Rafa at RG. Now Nole seems to have his number in hard court slams.
Best of 3 on a fast surface, sure. Elsewhere, doubt it.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Rome 2012, the other players « Reply #174 on: May 21, 2012, 08:24 PM »

I really don’t think Rafa got his mojo back in the true sense. The match between Federer and Novak was key to Nole and he needed to win this match because of their last match at RG last year and I really feel Nole was looking forward to another encounter on clay this year and he finally did here in Rome. I don’t know if you watched the match between them but it was quite intense on Nole’s part. He was highly focused and gave a lot. Federer is still the 2nd best player on clay so it’s not still easy to beat him (RG last year, for example, when Nole was clearly the best man around yet he still ended up losing to Federer in the RG semi and that speaks volume), so that, in other words took a lot out of Nole and he just wasn’t as intense and focused today. And you have to be more than 100% against a player like Nadal on clay. So given all that, I don’t think RG is as sure a thing for Rafa as it’s made out to be. I am splitting this 60% - 40% between Rafa and Nole. Personally I’d love it if anyone other than Nadal or Federer won it.

Yeah I did watch the Federer-Djokovic match and agree that Novak did give that match everything. He played brilliantly then, though Federer definitely wasn't at his best, spraying errors everywhere. But then again, Novak played an even more intense semi-final last year against Andy and still went on to beat Rafa in straights.

Rafa though has seemed to be much more motivated as a whole this year, right from the Aussie Open. His level of play definitely seems to be higher than this time last year, when he wasn't that convincing even on clay.

Fed has made one of the last 8 finals, I think. I'm not convinced he can beat Rafa and Nole in slams any more.
I think he has a last shot at Wimbledon this year but looking at his game, he is slower and he is less consistent.  When he was in his prime he couldn't beat Rafa at RG. Now Nole seems to have his number in hard court slams.
Best of 3 on a fast surface, sure. Elsewhere, doubt it.

I'd still give Federer a shot at beating Novak at Wimbledon and the US Open. He's definitely got the game to trouble Novak when he uses his slice and changes the pace of the ball (something Andy can do as well). I don't think Fed's got a chance of beating Rafa anywhere though, nightmare matchup for him.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rome 2012, the other players « Reply #175 on: May 22, 2012, 01:44 AM »

I agree, but RG should be a turning point, given what's at stake.
Well I've just been reading an interview with Djoko (before the final) in which he declares that he's feeling very fit, physically and mentally.  Also, from ATP News -

WHAT THE PLAYERS SAID

Nadal: "I am happy that I won in Rome without losing a set against the best players in the world like Berdych and Ferrer and Djokovic. I will have this trophy in my bedroom. It is a dream. [I have] the confidence I am playing well and this comes when I play at the right level. Hopefully I will keep playing like this."

Djokovic: "He is always the favourite, even if I win against him seven times; he is the best player in the world on this surface. I think that the match today was quite close, even if he won in straight sets. If you don’t use the opportunities against Rafa he gets momentum. I made a lot of errors which should not happen when you play against Nadal. I will go to Paris with confidence and I played a great week."
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Rome 2012, the other players « Reply #176 on: May 22, 2012, 02:29 AM »

Eyebrow raise.

I've found another comment from Nole about the match and I believe he's been taking lessons from Fedex

Djokovic said: "I made a lot of unforced errors. In my opinion I don't think he played extremely well but I made a lot of errors that can't happen when you play against Nadal.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/18150412
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rome 2012, the other players « Reply #177 on: May 22, 2012, 03:18 AM »

shocking Let's hope this was an unfortunate one-off remark.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Rome 2012, the other players « Reply #178 on: May 22, 2012, 06:24 AM »

Ooh Nole naughty
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Rome 2012, the other players « Reply #179 on: May 22, 2012, 10:32 AM »

I've always thought that Novak displays definite Fed traits - let's hope it doesn't develop into full blow Fedarrogance!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »