Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Should pre-match knock-ups go? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Reply
Author

Should pre-match knock-ups go?

(Read 1190 times)
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Should pre-match knock-ups go? « on: May 12, 2011, 12:07 AM »

Andy's been tweeting about scrapping the warm-up. This sounds good to me. Can't think of any other sports where you get such a long time to warm up before the action starts. I'm a firm believer in getting more action into tennis. I believe over the duration of a three-hour match, less than one hour is actual tennis.

This would be a huge rule change. Are there any other rule changes you'd like to see, while we're on the subject? I'm a big believer in one serve. Having one go at getting your serve in would mean less delay and a slower serve that would produce a longer rally, leading to more action, which would attract more kids to the game.
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: Scrap the warm-up? « Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 12:42 AM »

But then we won't see as much of Rafa touching his bum!

I like the pace of tennis, it flows unlike sports like football and snooker where you're just sitting around waiting... I think 5th set tie break should be compulsory. It usually comes around 2nd/3rd round in the slams, there's no point in wearing the guys out and clearly can get out of hand as we saw with Mahut vs Isner.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Scrap the warm-up? « Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 01:03 AM »

Agree that it should be scrapped, just takes away some of the competitive feel of it all.
IP Logged
Lurking
ATP Level

Re: Scrap the warm-up? « Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 06:09 AM »

This sounds good to me. Can't think of any other sports where you get such a long time to warm up before the action starts.

Then you obviously don't pay attention to other sports.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: Scrap the warm-up? « Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 07:48 AM »

Then you obviously don't pay attention to other sports.

Well, I do. There's football, I guess. I suppose there's more point to the football warm-up cos they haven't been able to warm up their bodies on an outside court. Guess it's good for injury prevention.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: Scrap the warm-up? « Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 07:52 AM »

But then we won't see as much of Rafa touching his bum!

I like the pace of tennis, it flows unlike sports like football and snooker where you're just sitting around waiting

Hmm, I disagree. I think tennis flows horribly. There's far too much time spent waiting for the action. This is at its worst when Rafa plays the Djoker and you're waiting for the point to begin.

My daughters play tennis but they don't enjoy watching it. One of the reasons they give is a lack of action. Imagine having one serve - you'd be straight into the action as soon as the previous point had finished. There'd be fewer aces and more rallies. Let's face it - impressive though an ace is, it's not that good to watch.

I remember reading somewhere that a rally is a beautiful conversation and an ace is a premature full stop.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Scrap the warm-up? « Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 10:13 AM »

I'm all for the premature full stops as long as it's Andy doing them! Very Happy w00t
IP Logged
Lurking
ATP Level

Re: Scrap the warm-up? « Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 02:00 PM »

Well, I do. There's football, I guess. I suppose there's more point to the football warm-up cos they haven't been able to warm up their bodies on an outside court. Guess it's good for injury prevention.

Even Darts players have warm ups on court.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

Re: Scrap the warm-up? « Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 03:17 PM »

Even Darts players have warm ups on court.

I'm sorry, I thought we were talking about sport.
IP Logged
Mark
Murraymaniac

Re: Scrap the warm-up? « Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 03:50 PM »

roflmao
IP Logged
Tasmanian Devil
Challenger Level

Re: Scrap the warm-up? « Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 11:08 PM »

If we're talking about speeding the game up, how about awarding free points to the opponent if you go over the time limit between points?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Scrap the warm-up? « Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 03:57 AM »

Andy's been tweeting about scrapping the warm-up. This sounds good to me. Can't think of any other sports where you get such a long time to warm up before the action starts. I'm a firm believer in getting more action into tennis. I believe over the duration of a three-hour match, less than one hour is actual tennis.

This would be a huge rule change. Are there any other rule changes you'd like to see, while we're on the subject? I'm a big believer in one serve. Having one go at getting your serve in would mean less delay and a slower serve that would produce a longer rally, leading to more action, which would attract more kids to the game.
I've no objection to warm-ups, but I've long been in favour of just one serve.  Apart from speeding the action up, it would have the effect of making players focus more on getting that one serve in, and, in consequence, encourage players with poor serves to work harder on improving them.

I think 5th set tie break should be compulsory. It usually comes around 2nd/3rd round in the slams, there's no point in wearing the guys out and clearly can get out of hand as we saw with Mahut vs Isner.
I go along with that too, except in the finals - and I think the USO should be brought into line with the other three in this respect to maintain parity.

If we're talking about speeding the game up, how about awarding free points to the opponent if you go over the time limit between points?
Another one I agree with, and in this connection I'd like to see ball-bouncing before serving reduced to a minimum of two bounces or, preferably, abolished completely - unlesss someone can give me a valid reason as to why ball-bouncing should be considered so necessary.

Also - women players who scream and shriek should be penalised.  There's no need for this sort of exhibitionism.  I'm sure the prospect of losing a valuable point or two would work wonders in shutting them up.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Should pre-match knock-ups go? « Reply #12 on: December 22, 2011, 05:03 AM »

Jonathan Overend's blog, 21 Dec.

Pre-match knock-ups should be scrapped

Andy Murray and John McEnroe both say that the knock-ups should be scrapped and players should go straight into a match without warming-up.

McEnroe says players "should go out there like boxers - to huge applause and announcements - toss the coin and then, boom, first serve."

Overend calls them "that most unfathomable waste of time", adding that the advantages of scrapping them are clear, since "it would speed up schedules and clear space for tournaments and television to get on with matches immediately."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/jonathanoverend/2011/12/tennis_knock-up.html

I think that these knock-ups are unnecessary and should go, and agree with Overend when he asks "In how many other elite sports do opponents help each other warm-up?"  The players will have been practising before the match, and both will be at the same disadvantage of having to get used to the feel of the court and the ball, and having to warm-up while playing - so, as well as being a waste of time, why should spectators have to watch several boring minutes of what is really just more practice?

Any thoughts on this?

Mod NoticeTopic merged with an earlier discussion of the same subject.
[ Last edit by Allan December 22, 2011, 12:23 PM ] IP Logged
Lurking
ATP Level

Re: Should pre-match knock-ups go? « Reply #13 on: December 22, 2011, 06:26 AM »

Murray should be careful what he wishes for quite frankly.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Should pre-match knock-ups go? « Reply #14 on: December 22, 2011, 08:32 AM »

I too think the warm up time should go.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »