Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Should pre-match knock-ups go? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Reply
Author

Should pre-match knock-ups go?

(Read 1322 times)
drchef
Challenger Level

"Corey, Trevor.....Smokes, let's go!"

Re: Should pre-match knock-ups go? « Reply #15 on: December 22, 2011, 11:28 AM »

Without a doubt, they MUST go.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Should pre-match knock-ups go? « Reply #16 on: December 22, 2011, 11:31 AM »

Yep. While we're at it, let's have ONE serve. One serve would mean fewer aces, more rallies, less time wasted waiting for the 2nd serve to come down. The amount of actual tennis played during a match would increase from something like 35% to about 60%.
IP Logged
kel3350
Junior

Re: Should pre-match knock-ups go? « Reply #17 on: December 22, 2011, 11:56 AM »

I remember a commentator suggesting we get rid of 'let' calls. Imagine that - the ball just dribbling over the net and the opponent losing the match because of it. No, we can't have that.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Should pre-match knock-ups go? « Reply #18 on: December 22, 2011, 07:21 PM »

Yep. While we're at it, let's have ONE serve. One serve would mean fewer aces, more rallies, less time wasted waiting for the 2nd serve to come down. The amount of actual tennis played during a match would increase from something like 35% to about 60%.

The downside though is that players would become much more cautious when serving - so for Andy that would mean his serve being more like his second serve than his current first serve which wouldn't be so good.

I've not got a problem with the current warmup or first/second serve rules. But I do wish that umpires would enforce the time regulations much more. A five-minute warmup should mean exactly that, not a ten-, fifteen- or even twenty-minute one. And they should be much tougher on the time between points too.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Should pre-match knock-ups go? « Reply #19 on: December 22, 2011, 07:23 PM »

poster_oops  I'd forgotten a thread on this subject had already been opened!

I remember a commentator suggesting we get rid of 'let' calls. Imagine that - the ball just dribbling over the net and the opponent losing the match because of it. No, we can't have that.
I think a ball which hits the top of the net when players serve should be a fault, regardless as to where the ball lands.  It only prolongs matches further.

Murray should be careful what he wishes for quite frankly.
Why?  Do you think it's because he quite often takes a while to get into matches even with warm-ups?  If so, I'd disagree because scrapping warm-ups might just have the opposite effect of galvanising him into action - and maybe that's part of his thinking here.

IP Logged
kel3350
Junior

Re: Should pre-match knock-ups go? « Reply #20 on: December 22, 2011, 08:59 PM »

Re: 'Let'. Aileen, what if the second serve hits the top of the tape?
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Should pre-match knock-ups go? « Reply #21 on: December 22, 2011, 09:16 PM »

Get rid of the 'warm-up' and the 'let' - players have to cope with a net cord in normal play so why not in service?  If you declare it a fault in service then it has to be a fault in normal play IMO.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Should pre-match knock-ups go? « Reply #22 on: December 23, 2011, 05:43 AM »

Re: 'Let'. Aileen, what if the second serve hits the top of the tape?
If the first serve hits the cord, then it's a fault, so if the second serve does the same, then it's a double-fault.  It would be a DF anyway if the first serve misfired and the second hit the cord.

Get rid of the 'warm-up' and the 'let' - players have to cope with a net cord in normal play so why not in service?  If you declare it a fault in service then it has to be a fault in normal play IMO.
I agree.  These net cord shots, which are usually impossible to return and are therefore unfair to opponents, are purely down to luck and not skill.  I hate seeing smirking players giving a raised hand in "apology" when they've won what is really a very cheap point with these.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »