Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Shanghai Masters 2012 - the other players 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 9 Go Down Reply
Author

Shanghai Masters 2012 - the other players

(Read 2198 times)
Elena
Seed

Shanghai Masters 2012 - the other players « on: October 08, 2012, 06:27 PM »

Here's the tournament website http://en.shanghairolexmasters.com/index.aspx

Today, in Andy's quarter Dolgopolov d Chardy, Gasquet d Brian Baker, Anderson d Niemenen.

Elesewhere Almagro hit 18 aces but still lost to Haas. Almagro is at No 10 in the Race to London, but will no doubt be overtaken by several players this week.

Djoko's first match will be against Dimitrov.

Fed has to win just one match to stay at No 1 (will play Lu or Zhang)
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Shanghai Masters 2012 - the other players « Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 05:23 PM »

Talking to myself here - some of the other threads seemed to be getting a bit tangled...

Kei Nishikori and Milos Raonic were both back in action today after Sunday's final in Tokyo so had very little time to adjust to the different conditions.

Nishikori beat Wu today and plays Sam Querrey in 2nd round tomorrow.

Raonic won 7-6 6-3 v Matosevic. Hit 14 aces and 70% FSP! Tomorrow he plays Baggy in 2nd round, and a doubles match - quite a heavy schedule!

As someone tweeted: Bernie T put the T in Tank again in Shanghai today, giving "85 per cent" against Mayer. #tankengine

Monaco lost to Verdasco in their 2nd round match. Monaco was at no 11 in the Race to london, but has today dropped to 12, behind Gasquet.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Shanghai Masters 2012 - the other players « Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 05:38 PM »

Thanks for those updates, Elena and it's a very good thread. I meant to say it earlier. I am sure it will kick off with more posts as some very interesting matches are coming up.

As to Raonic and Nishi, I don't suppose they'll go far here.

As to Tomic, maybe he’s having some sort of letdowns after last year. This is such a growth period though and with the top guys around and some of them still evolving, I guess it doesn’t do the magic work for everyone. 
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Shanghai Masters 2012 - the other players « Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 08:56 AM »

Nishikori has lost to Querrey - he was up a break in the third set but seemed to be troubled by a knee injury. It's a shame as he's always interesting to watch.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Shanghai Masters 2012 - the other players « Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 09:01 AM »

Actually feel sorry for Kei (and Milos) - played in the final on Sunday and had their first match yesterday and 2nd today.

Berdych and Lopez have won today.

Milos in a 2nd set tie break with Marcos - Marcos won the 1st set on a tie break retard

Stan's match going to a 3rd set.

Novak in control of the 1st set.

Colin & Ross in a super tie break thingy and leading that atm Very Happy

IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Shanghai Masters 2012 - the other players « Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 09:56 AM »

Milos has just lost to Marcos.

Colin and Ross won their match.

Stan won his match, as did Nole.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Shanghai Masters 2012 - the other players « Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 11:21 AM »

Colin and Ross will face the 3rd seeds Lindstedt and Tecau in the next round, whom they beat last week in Beijing.

Marray and his partner Huey (usually partners Dom Inglot) will face Bhupathi and Bopanna who are the 7th seeds.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Shanghai Masters 2012 - the other players « Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 03:06 PM »

I agree - too bad for both Raonic and Nishikori. Didn't have any time in between to even adjust the surface and the conditions. Anyway, I am not complaining about Raonic though. lol

Gasguet has just gone out to Stepanek. Just when you think he was playing better but it's okay. He's done quite well just a week before and I found his match against Nieminen was just sensational from the mid-2nd set point and on.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Shanghai Masters 2012 - the other players « Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 03:14 PM »

Most of the 9-16 seeded players have been knocked out. I think Monaco's the only top 8 seeded player to go. And he's in Federer's quarter, typically enough.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Shanghai Masters 2012 - the other players « Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 04:55 PM »

Just catching up - quite a day it seems!

Thanks EJ  @5.38!

Shame about Nishikori and Raonic - really tough for them to have to play again (and again) so soon. We had a bit of discussion somewhere about the women's tournament in Beijing last week where only the players who had reached the SF of the previous week's tournament got a 1st round bye - so while the 1st and 2nd seeds had to play the first round, one of the unseeded players got a bye. It gave them a bit more of a chance.

Great news about Colin & Ross. My calculations, which could well be wrong put them at No 10 now in the Race to London, just 75 points behind Marray & Neilsen, who aren't playing together in this tournament. I'd love them to get to the O2 but the top 8 are quite a bit ahead of them. The Bryans were knocked out today by Butorac & Petzschner - maybe some other seeds will go tomorrow.

It seems I was wrong earlier (I was going by what it said on the live rankings site) and Fed has to win one more match to stay at no 1. Can Stan stop him from reaching his 300th week at no 1?
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Shanghai Masters 2012 - the other players « Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 05:19 PM »

Even if Stan can, let's say, stop Federer, I don't think he'll dare. Just 1 win over Federer in his entire career.

Paris and WTF are back to back as well. Though Federer won both just last year, that also had a lot to do with the fact that, most of the top players were either fatigued or injured. This year both Nole and Andy are in better shape (knockwood) than last year, so let’s see. Nadal might join at the last minute but I don't feel he'll be prepared enough being out for so long.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Shanghai Masters 2012 - the other players « Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 05:41 PM »

Even if Stan can, let's say, stop Federer, I don't think he'll dare. Just 1 win over Federer in his entire career.

Paris and WTF are back to back as well. Though Federer won both just last year, that also had a lot to do with the fact that, most of the top players were either fatigued or injured. This year both Nole and Andy are in better shape (knockwood) than last year, so let’s see. Nadal might join at the last minute but I don't feel he'll be prepared enough being out for so long.

When did Stan win?
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Shanghai Masters 2012 - the other players « Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 06:00 PM »

Just catching up - quite a day it seems!

Thanks EJ  @5.38!

Shame about Nishikori and Raonic - really tough for them to have to play again (and again) so soon. We had a bit of discussion somewhere about the women's tournament in Beijing last week where only the players who had reached the SF of the previous week's tournament got a 1st round bye - so while the 1st and 2nd seeds had to play the first round, one of the unseeded players got a bye. It gave them a bit more of a chance.

Great news about Colin & Ross. My calculations, which could well be wrong put them at No 10 now in the Race to London, just 75 points behind Marray & Neilsen, who aren't playing together in this tournament. I'd love them to get to the O2 but the top 8 are quite a bit ahead of them. The Bryans were knocked out today by Butorac & Petzschner - maybe some other seeds will go tomorrow.

It seems I was wrong earlier (I was going by what it said on the live rankings site) and Fed has to win one more match to stay at no 1. Can Stan stop him from reaching his 300th week at no 1?
If they can stay around 9/10 there is a small chance one of the 16 who make it pull out, so who knows. Such a shame about that injury in the middle of the season though.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Shanghai Masters 2012 - the other players « Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 06:15 PM »

When did Stan win?

2/3 years ago in Monte Carlo I think. Too lazy to look up. lol
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Shanghai Masters 2012 - the other players « Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, 07:34 AM »

Hooray - Colin & Ross through, beating Lindstedt & Tecau (again)!

So far...a good morning for British tennis, Heather won in Osaka a few minutes ago.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 9 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »