Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Should coaching be allowed during a match? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Reply
Author

Should coaching be allowed during a match?

(Read 451 times)
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Should coaching be allowed during a match? « on: September 11, 2013, 05:28 PM »

Djokovic received a code violation for coaching during his USO match with Wawrinka. He later became angry with Marian Vajda, who continued to try to pass information to him, telling him to "Shut up! Do not say anything to me!"

I'd personally like to see coaches allowed to come on court at the end of sets to discuss strategy.

What do you think? And what other sport doesn't allow coaches to speak with their athletes during play?
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Should coaching be allowed during a match? « Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 05:30 PM »

A little bit yes.
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: Should coaching be allowed during a match? « Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 05:34 PM »

If its excessive coaching and is obviously going to give one player a huge advantage over the other, than no.

But I know what its like to be in a match that is not going your way in any shape or form, and you literally beg in your head for help. Obviously they will hate losing more than I do because they are professionals, so that feeling must be a lot stronger. So in a way it should be allowed.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Should coaching be allowed during a match? « Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 05:54 PM »

On the women's side, in the tournaments outside the slams, they do allow coaches to come on. I'm not keen on it myself. I've seen women's matches where coaches have come on and more or less laid into their player and I'm not convinced by how helpful it is. I'm not convinced it's the best advertisement for the women's game.

The problem of allowing it during regular events and not the slams for the women must surely impact some of the young women players. Coaches have apparently only been allowed on for a couple of years, so someone who has played as long as Serena Williams for example, is well used to being on the court and working out what to do herself. Some of the younger women must surely get to rely on the coach coming on, so what happens in the slams when they can't?

I wouldn't like to see coaches come on to the court on the men's side, although the idea of Lendl coming on and having a discussion with Andy mid-match does have a certain appeal Smile. I just think tennis is an individual sport. Part of the skill is working out what to do and then executing that effectively. Allowing coaches on sort of devalues the individual aspect.

The only thing I would say is that we all know coaching goes on. In a lot of other sports coaches call out from the side-lines and give gestures and so on, and no one bats an eye-lash. Maybe it's time coaches were allowed to do that in tennis, call out to their player etc. That would provide something to see, but also put the onus on the player to interpret what the coach is saying and also think for themselves.
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: Should coaching be allowed during a match? « Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 06:05 PM »

On the women's side, in the tournaments outside the slams, they do allow coaches to come on. I'm not keen on it myself. I've seen women's matches where coaches have come on and more or less laid into their player and I'm not convinced by how helpful it is. I'm not convinced it's the best advertisement for the women's game.

The problem of allowing it during regular events and not the slams for the women must surely impact some of the young women players. Coaches have apparently only been allowed on for a couple of years, so someone who has played as long as Serena Williams for example, is well used to being on the court and working out what to do herself. Some of the younger women must surely get to rely on the coach coming on, so what happens in the slams when they can't?

I wouldn't like to see coaches come on to the court on the men's side, although the idea of Lendl coming on and having a discussion with Andy mid-match does have a certain appeal Smile. I just think tennis is an individual sport. Part of the skill is working out what to do and then executing that effectively. Allowing coaches on sort of devalues the individual aspect.

The only thing I would say is that we all know coaching goes on. In a lot of other sports coaches call out from the side-lines and give gestures and so on, and no one bats an eye-lash. Maybe it's time coaches were allowed to do that in tennis, call out to their player etc. That would provide something to see, but also put the onus on the player to interpret what the coach is saying and also think for themselves.

Smile Good post, Serena is one of the few on tour that never calls her coach Patrick for strategies and advice. She's her own player in that respect.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Should coaching be allowed during a match? « Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 06:22 PM »

Don't agree with on court coaching for the men or the women.
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: Should coaching be allowed during a match? « Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 06:27 PM »

Lol.

* 1175390_714288181931414_373713445_n.jpg (24.11 KB, 500x445 - viewed 96 times.)
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Should coaching be allowed during a match? « Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 06:29 PM »

Djokovic received a code violation for coaching during his USO match with Wawrinka. He later became angry with Marian Vajda, who continued to try to pass information to him, telling him to "Shut up! Do not say anything to me!"

I'd personally like to see coaches allowed to come on court at the end of sets to discuss strategy.

What do you think? And what other sport doesn't allow coaches to speak with their athletes during play?
Very true Linda, hadnt thought of other sports, what gets me is they are not meant to but clearly carry on!! Would love to see Mr Lendl come down at the end of the set with his poker face  Whistle
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Should coaching be allowed during a match? « Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 06:33 PM »

Lol.

Is that your mini me?
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Should coaching be allowed during a match? « Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 08:26 PM »

I agree with TJ @ 5.54, especially the bit about it being an individual sport - I think that's part of the appeal of tennis for me. I don't watch other sport much.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Should coaching be allowed during a match? « Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 09:18 PM »

Off the top of my head, I can think of a few other individual sports like table tennis, boxing, wrestling. I think they all allow coaching during play/event?

IP Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »