Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Estimated time - 12:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Slams- best of 5, best of 3? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Reply
Author

Slams- best of 5, best of 3?

(Read 904 times)
blueberryhill
World No 1

Slams- best of 5, best of 3? « on: September 13, 2013, 07:44 AM »

An interesting discussion is going on on another forum. Was wondering what thoughts MW posters had on the subject.
http://www.tennis-x.com/xblog/2013-09-12/13664.php
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Slams- best of 5, best of 3? « Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 08:02 AM »

Definately has to be the best of 5 for me BBH! As for Serena being 'the real star of the night', I know which match I'd rather be watching and it ain't Serena! I could go on about how 5 setters separate the men from the boys, but I'm sure someone else will anyway, so I'll leave it at that!  Wink
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Slams- best of 5, best of 3? « Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 08:05 AM »

I think it would completely spoil tennis.  The whole point of 5 sets in the GS's is to set them apart from the other competitions.  The GS's separate the best from the good as they have to be fit, talented and determined to go far.  I believe in the past the Masters were best of 5.  If that was to happen it would be too much and would not fit in with the schedule for the year.  They would not have any rest in between tournies.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Slams- best of 5, best of 3? « Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 08:14 AM »

I think it would completely spoil tennis.  The whole point of 5 sets in the GS's is to set them apart from the other competitions.  The GS's separate the best from the good as they have to be fit, talented and determined to go far.  I believe in the past the Masters were best of 5.  If that was to happen it would be too much and would not fit in with the schedule for the year.  They would not have any rest in between tournies.
Totally agree, they are GS for the men because they are 5 sets and this sets them apart from the Masters and other tournaments.
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Slams- best of 5, best of 3? « Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 09:47 AM »

The idea of Slams being 3 sets is just stupid
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Slams- best of 5, best of 3? « Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 12:13 PM »

I think Sean makes a very good case, actually. Scheduling at the USOpen seems a particular issue and players having to wait till midnight to get on Ashe seems really silly. I think possibly best of 3 till quarters, then best of 5?
Ironically though, if they kept a rest day in between, Masters would be harder to win!
Sean also seems to think that it will be inevitable because at the end of the day, TV companies rule.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Slams- best of 5, best of 3? « Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 07:11 PM »

The scheduling at US open is an issue due to their schedule, not 5 sets - after all, other slams manage it. Wimbledon manages it on the least no of days and earliest finishes (other than on centre with roof shut and even that is only compared to French). I'd be very against slams going to 3, best of 5 gives them their status, separting them from the rest of the tour. Think of a ll the 5 set battles and comebacks there have been overthe years. No way would they seem as dramatic over  sets.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Slams- best of 5, best of 3? « Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 07:59 PM »

Best of 5.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Slams- best of 5, best of 3? « Reply #8 on: September 14, 2013, 01:33 AM »

Best of 5 for me, bbh.

Sorts the men from the boys.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Slams- best of 5, best of 3? « Reply #9 on: September 14, 2013, 07:14 AM »

Martina agrees:
http://www.thetennisspace.com/navratilova-men-should-play-best-of-3-at-the-slams/

She is my favorite woman player ever, btw
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Slams- best of 5, best of 3? « Reply #10 on: September 14, 2013, 12:56 PM »

Best of 5 for me, bbh.

Sorts the men from the boys.
  lmao
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Slams- best of 5, best of 3? « Reply #11 on: September 14, 2013, 03:35 PM »

So that's why Andy lost in 3 to Stan is it.....hmmm Think
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Slams- best of 5, best of 3? « Reply #12 on: September 14, 2013, 04:18 PM »

How many times has Andy come back from 2 sets down to win the match? A fair few I'd think! Those matches would have been lost if they'd been 3 setters!
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Slams- best of 5, best of 3? « Reply #13 on: September 14, 2013, 04:38 PM »

If slams were best of 3 then Andy would need to adjust his game, he wouldn't be allowed slow starts (something which he needs to sort out anyway). It might aid his back problem not having to play so much.

I do wonder though if Andy is a victim of his own success, he was making finals of slams repeatedly, maybe over the year that sort of effort catches up with you in the long run. It's possible Novak is also feeling the strain of playing 7 best of matches 4 times a year.

I would keep them best of 5 personally, i know best of 3 makes more sense with matches being completed faster for TV but as has already been said, players and fans alike prefer the current format.
IP Logged
scotjules
Satellite Level

Re: Slams- best of 5, best of 3? « Reply #14 on: September 14, 2013, 04:42 PM »

How many times has Andy come back from 2 sets down to win the match? A fair few I'd think! Those matches would have been lost if they'd been 3 setters!

Would they really though? Surely as with the five setters Andy would've upped his level and found a way back. I'd be interested to see his win-loss record from losing the first set in 3 set matches, particularly in the masters tournaments.

With that said I personally love the longer matches in the grand slams and hope they never change to 3 sets.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »