Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  London 2012 Olympics: The Other Players 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 [48] 49 Go Down Reply
Author

London 2012 Olympics: The Other Players

(Read 8676 times)
Philip
Seed

Re: London 2012 Olympics: The Other Players « Reply #705 on: August 05, 2012, 07:15 PM »

You are right Emma. Apart from Andy, Del Potro played brilliantly against Fed and had him on the backfoot for 4.5 hours and was 2 points away from victory quite a few times. Fed was fortunate to go through but at the cost of being physically and mentally drained.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: London 2012 Olympics: The Other Players « Reply #706 on: August 05, 2012, 11:05 PM »

Del Potro was probably the 2nd best player in this tournament. It's good that he has raised his game on grass as well. Nole is not the same this year as suspected earlier on. Even playing for his country couldn't bring him back. I thought this would happen after last year. He can always look forward to next year though.
Watch him come back and win the US now.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: London 2012 Olympics: The Other Players « Reply #707 on: August 06, 2012, 03:03 PM »

Who? Nole? No, I don't think so. Both Federer and Murray will be a factor. He'll be able to beat Nadal though. Del Potro, I am not so sure. I feel he raised his game due to the fact that he was playing for his country. Same motivation might just not be there next time.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: London 2012 Olympics: The Other Players « Reply #708 on: August 06, 2012, 03:16 PM »

Novak wont be winning the US this year.
he'll back however its only a question of when but we may have already seen his very best tennis.
lets hope its Murray time next year.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: London 2012 Olympics: The Other Players « Reply #709 on: August 06, 2012, 03:23 PM »

I refuse to rule out Nole. So many people ruled him out at last year (myself included), and he kept on defying them. It would be just like him to bounce back and win the US Open.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: London 2012 Olympics: The Other Players « Reply #710 on: August 06, 2012, 03:28 PM »

Bar the AO he has failed to defend anything.
He's naturally one of the favs still but he has clearly failed to bounce back at all yet.
When you have a great year it seems its nigh on impossible to replicate it.
Even if youre a Nadal or Novak, but we shall see if the patten set since after the AO holds.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: London 2012 Olympics: The Other Players « Reply #711 on: August 06, 2012, 03:28 PM »

Andy will be extremely keen to get that USO, no doubt. No one can possibly want it more than Andy at this point. I also don't think at this point he fears anybody at all but he will have to get that 1st serve working for him. His ground game was incredible and his 2nd serve was incredible at times (watched it again last night), but the 1st wasn't there. He had only two aces throughout the match and that's very telling. He admitted he was nervous at the beginning of the match, but to me, Andy not being able to find his 1st serve is a bit alarming and tells me that he wasn't 100% confident. He had the crowd and Olympics mania going on for him and the pressure was much less given that it was on so many other UK players, so this must be sorted out before that significant final happens again. That's my only slight concern.

Federer's ground game isn't as solid and consistent as Nadal and Nole, but he can afford to get by given that he gets a lot of free points off serve. Even yesterday, he was serving much better and it was holding up for him (though Andy's return was unmatchable as well). That really is the key for Andy as well since he has yet to win a GS to this date and this will help  him immensely especially if he gets down on his serve.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: London 2012 Olympics: The Other Players « Reply #712 on: August 06, 2012, 03:30 PM »

I refuse to rule out Nole. So many people ruled him out at last year (myself included), and he kept on defying them. It would be just like him to bounce back and win the US Open.

Yes, but his last year performance was outstanding. This year he has taken losses to a lot of people. Two very different scenarios. Still, I wouldn't rule him out completely. I believe he'll be tough to beat but not that he is not beatable at all.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: London 2012 Olympics: The Other Players « Reply #713 on: August 06, 2012, 03:35 PM »

Andy will be extremely keen to get that USO, no doubt. No one can possibly want it more than Andy at this point. I also don't think at this point he fears anybody at all but he will have to get that 1st serve working for him. His ground game was incredible and his 2nd serve was incredible at times (watched it again last night), but the 1st wasn't there. He had only two aces throughout the match and that's very telling. He admitted he was nervous at the beginning of the match, but to me, Andy not being able to find his 1st serve is a bit alarming and tells me that he wasn't 100% confident. He had the crowd and Olympics mania going on for him and the pressure was much less given that it was on so many other UK players, so this must be sorted out before that significant final happens again. That's my only slight concern.

Federer's ground game isn't as solid and consistent as Nadal and Nole, but he can afford to get by given that he gets a lot of free points off serve. Even yesterday, he was serving much better and it was holding up for him (though Andy's return was unmatchable as well). That really is the key for Andy as well since he has yet to win a GS to this date and this will help  him immensely especially if he gets down on his serve.

Said the same thing on another thread, he was serving into the light a bit but then so was federer. Without that serve Roger would have met the same fate as Sharapova did the day before.
Ruthie thinks it might have been a tweak but i think its still a barometer of his nerves.
Lat month when the roof came over his serve deserted him also.
He must find a way to make his serve fire for him regardless of the pressure, its such a potent weapon when on song but clearly nerves are still a factor in all of this & we might still see this come up again in NY.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: London 2012 Olympics: The Other Players « Reply #714 on: August 06, 2012, 03:43 PM »

Yes, but his last year performance was outstanding. This year he has taken losses to a lot of people. Two very different scenarios. Still, I wouldn't rule him out completely. I believe he'll be tough to beat but not that he is not beatable at all.
No he's clearly much more beatable this year. However he has proven his ability time and time again and his this run of form won't go on forever. He will bounce back.

It really is a close-run thing this year and I don't see any outright favourite. Andy's got the form right now but naturally won't be the favourite due to past form in Slams. Who knows if Nadal will be fit and if he is, will be able to find any form. Federer is looking good after Wimbledon. And then there's Djokovic, who at the moment is very unpredictable.

Right now I think Djokovic will win the US. Obviously I'm absolutely desperate for Andy to do it, but yesterday's win was the first time he's beaten on of the top three in five sets since 2010. If he can play like that throughout the tournament (and obviously find his serve again) he has a huge chance, but it's a big if I feel. He definitely can win, without a doubt.

It's so hard to tell and I don't want to let myself get carried away right now because it's just a set up for disappointment otherwise. There's a few weeks to go yet so we'll see how the top guys are looking in Cinci. But when you look at Nadal - always seems so out-of-form around this time of the year, then finds his best stuff again at the US - I can see Novak doing similar.

We'll see what happens in a month's time, but it would be stupid to rule out Djokovic or assume he's not going to improve at some point.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: London 2012 Olympics: The Other Players « Reply #715 on: August 06, 2012, 03:57 PM »

Said the same thing on another thread, he was serving into the light a bit but then so was federer. Without that serve Roger would have met the same fate as Sharapova did the day before.
Ruthie thinks it might have been a tweak but i think its still a barometer of his nerves.
Lat month when the roof came over his serve deserted him also.
He must find a way to make his serve fire for him regardless of the pressure, its such a potent weapon when on song but clearly nerves are still a factor in all of this & we might still see this come up again in NY.

It's the nerves and it was still there yesterday. The serves are the pinnacle of one's game and if it's suffering then you know, you are not at your absolute best. Because of Olympics and the crowd, he was able to rely on the rest of his game, which was superb but you know that these elements won't be there in a GS final (unless it's Wimbledon so he'll get the crowd support at least), so he really needs to pay particular attention to this problems of his. I really think at this point he has gained more than enough experience and confidence he needed, so this should not be a problem going forward.

And I don't mean to nitpick but at the same time, I want Andy to take his game to that level so that he doesn't give away any free points which would be crucial in a GS final match and that brings me to this point, Andy didn't take much advantage of the short balls he was given at times. He had a few options but instead he played right into Roger's strength and ended up losing those points. I got a little frustrated with those selections. I guess he wanted to outsmart and out guess Federer, but Federer didn't fall for it. Or Andy was simply tentative and couldn't decide which way he should have gone. I just don't want to see these mistakes again.
[ Last edit by Emma Jean August 06, 2012, 04:10 PM ] IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: London 2012 Olympics: The Other Players « Reply #716 on: August 06, 2012, 03:58 PM »

No he's clearly much more beatable this year. However he has proven his ability time and time again and his this run of form won't go on forever. He will bounce back.

It really is a close-run thing this year and I don't see any outright favourite. Andy's got the form right now but naturally won't be the favourite due to past form in Slams. Who knows if Nadal will be fit and if he is, will be able to find any form. Federer is looking good after Wimbledon. And then there's Djokovic, who at the moment is very unpredictable.

Right now I think Djokovic will win the US. Obviously I'm absolutely desperate for Andy to do it, but yesterday's win was the first time he's beaten on of the top three in five sets since 2010. If he can play like that throughout the tournament (and obviously find his serve again) he has a huge chance, but it's a big if I feel. He definitely can win, without a doubt.

It's so hard to tell and I don't want to let myself get carried away right now because it's just a set up for disappointment otherwise. There's a few weeks to go yet so we'll see how the top guys are looking in Cinci. But when you look at Nadal - always seems so out-of-form around this time of the year, then finds his best stuff again at the US - I can see Novak doing similar.We'll see what happens in a month's time, but it would be stupid to rule out Djokovic or assume he's not going to improve at some point.

Andy has momentum now, this is something the others do not really have, even fed after Wimbledon has had his legs taken away by the Murray execution. Andy will know and feel he can take any one of these players in a slam 5 setter. He was the last one to do it after all. Momentum is such an important thing in sport and thats why the olympics was so important, it gave it right back to Andy after him failing to play his best at Wimbledon.
Nadal is not naturally a favourite on a fast low bouncing court, he made himself one by sheer force of will. Regardless which surfaces suit whom, Andy must force himself on the issue & make the US Open his own.
I think we shall see a continuance of loss of momentum from Novak but you are correct he could just as well make this slam the turnaround. I just don't think it looks like it will happen yet.
He really did get beaten very confidently by Andy last week.
[ Last edit by theycanbillme August 06, 2012, 04:15 PM ] IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: London 2012 Olympics: The Other Players « Reply #717 on: August 06, 2012, 04:00 PM »

Andy Murray tells @bbc5live he had a message from Rafa Nadal yesterday, saying "congratulations, you won the hardest one there is to win" LOL Very Happy
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: London 2012 Olympics: The Other Players « Reply #718 on: August 06, 2012, 04:10 PM »

It's so hard to tell and I don't want to let myself get carried away right now because it's just a set up for disappointment otherwise. There's a few weeks to go yet so we'll see how the top guys are looking in Cinci. But when you look at Nadal - always seems so out-of-form around this time of the year, then finds his best stuff again at the US - I can see Novak doing similar.

We'll see what happens in a month's time, but it would be stupid to rule out Djokovic or assume he's not going to improve at some point.

He'll bounce back but I don't think it will be this year. Last year he was slightly jaded by this time and this year, he has already played more matches than Andy but less than Federer, so this would be a factor too. Nadal will be a much bigger factor at the USO I get the feeling with this necessary rest and he's hungry too. Somehow I get the feeling the real fight will be between Nadal and Andy come USO.

But yes, let's not get carried away. It will mostly depend on the draws mind you. Nadal may be fresh as daisy but if he's given a tough draw and schedule, he'll be toast. Same goes for everyone else so there are far too many scenarios yet to be played out. Del Potro, Raonic, Nishikori, Isner will be all quite lethal. Too many unknowns. Anyone can peak at the right time not just Andy but he'll be going there as one of the heavy favourites to win for sure even more so than Nole and Nadal. But at the same time, we all know that we can never take any of these top guys loosely no matter how down they are.
[ Last edit by Emma Jean August 06, 2012, 04:24 PM ] IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: London 2012 Olympics: The Other Players « Reply #719 on: August 06, 2012, 04:12 PM »

It's the nerves and it was still there yesterday. The serves are the pinnacle of one's game and if it's suffering then you know, you are not your absolute best. Because of Olympics and the crowd, he was able to rely on the rest of his game, which was superb but you know that these elements won't be there in a GS final (unless it's Wimbledon so he'll get the crowd support at least), so he really needs to pay particular attention to this problems of his. I really think at this point he has gained more than enough experience and confidence he needed, so this should not be a problem going forward.

And I don't mean to nitpick but at the same time, I want Andy to take his game to that level so that he doesn't give away any free points which would be crucial in a GS final match and that brings me to this point, Andy didn't take much advantage of the short balls he was given at times. He had a few options but instead he played right into Roger's strength and ended up losing those points. I got a little frustrated with those selections. I guess he wanted to outsmart and out guess Federer, but Federer didn't fall for it. Or Andy was simply tentative and couldn't decide which way he should have gone. I just don't want to see these mistakes again.

We will have to see how this pivotal win shall impact his nerves going on. And by how much.
In one match his serve is 81% but in the final 51%. Andy has every reason to be nervous, Roger the far more experienced player was too, but it cannot impact his game in a final as he will not as you say have the crowd to carry him above these problems the way nadal and fed will.
But I felt he was a lot more proactive in this match than in the other finals with fed and took time away from him, it was a brave performance, so i don't quite agree with you. Its an audacious move to go for the forehand of federer and he did get rewarded by it, i think it was done in purpose in fact. Last month he went solely for the federer backhand and it did not breakdown.
Anyway he is always taking baby steps i just hope that next time he gets to a final he goes for  the jugular for a change & saves himself sometime. And us some shredded nerves.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 [48] 49 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »