Andy Murray vs Joao Sousa, Thursday, Estimated time - 3:30pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld  >  Tennis Talk  >  Tennis commentators
Pages: [1] 2 3 Reply

Tennis commentators

Love them? Hate them?
Often I don't know who they are, but I'm learning.
The BBC had to apologise for too much talking last year.
At The Australian Open Mats Wilander had to apologise (some of us here sent emails)

Mark Petchey has some advice:

Start off with a very average career:
“That’s very important if you want a TV commentary job"

See more http://www.thetennisspace.com/how-to/petchey-how-to-blag-a-career-as-a-tv-commentator/
IP Logged

I have had to listen to Annabell Croft drool over Novak and then Fed. I wish i could meet her and tell her to knock it off.What with her 'Fed just floats around the court" to her sickening claims that Novak can do know wrong. Awful awful.
IP Logged

I have had to listen to Annabell Croft drool over Novak and then Fed. I wish i could meet her and tell her to knock it off.What with her 'Fed just floats around the court" to her sickening claims that Novak can do know wrong. Awful awful.

Poor you, I cant stand Annabell, or any of the kiss ass so called tennis commentators. f*** you!
IP Logged

One of the saddest, most honest, things I've ever read. Does Petch really believe he's such a phony?
IP Logged

One of the saddest, most honest, things I've ever read. Does Petch really believe he's such a phony?

Honest, yes, but I'm sure Petch wrote that with his tongue firmly in his cheek!  Thankfully, he is good at his job as a commentator - one of the few I can stand listening to.
IP Logged

Honest, yes, but I'm sure Petch wrote that with his tongue firmly in his cheek!  Thankfully, he is good at his job as a commentator - one of the few I can stand listening to.

He wants us to have a good laugh at it, but he wouldn't have written those things if he didn't truly believe them.
IP Logged

The Petch seems like one of the good guys.  I love how humble he is in his commentary especially if he is paired with Fleming.
IP Logged

The Petch seems like one of the good guys.  I love how humble he is in his commentary especially if he is paired with Fleming.

He's excellent, which is why that article saddens me. It saddens me all the more because it displays such true humility.
IP Logged

I don't know much about Mark Petchey, as player, coach or commentator. I read it as a light-hearted piece, with some good old British self-deprecation, and quite a lot of truth.

The "average career" bit does apply to most of the British commentators though doesn't it.
IP Logged

He made world number 80 and beat Stich and Chang when they were ranked 2 in the world. Also, as he says, had a win over Rafter. More impressively, perhaps, he took Muster to three sets on clay (and also beat him in the Davis Cup).
[ Last edit by Grabcopy March 02, 2012, 11:23 AM ] IP Logged

I didn't have a clue what my Arabic comm was saying but he was very entertaining Very Happy
IP Logged

I didn't have a clue what my Arabic comm was saying but he was very entertaining Very Happy
I think we were watching the same stream Bev - I got the interview with, I presume, Annabel Croft as well. I'd tried streams with Italian, French, Russian, no commentary, absolute silence, but this had the best picture.
I liked his enthusiasm, and am pleased not to have heard any negative comments!
IP Logged

That's the one Elena!  I liked it when shots were missed and he said, like you or I do, oh! Very Happy
IP Logged

Noooooooo...............

http://espn.go.com/tennis/story/_/id/7626203/chris-evert-signs-four-year-deal-call-tennis-espn
IP Logged

What is it with Annabel Croft - is she jealous of Andy or does she just not like him? She even seems to be able to make a negative out of a positive - perhaps it's because Andy has a winning H2H against her idol Federer!

............... and she obviously hasn't done her homework - banging on about Andy going out to practice because he hasn't been on court long enough when he is presently playing a doubles match!
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Reply