Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Tennis commentators 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Reply
Author

Tennis commentators

(Read 2456 times)
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: Tennis commentators « Reply #15 on: April 19, 2012, 03:05 PM »

What is it with Annabel Croft - is she jealous of Andy or does she just not like him? She even seems to be able to make a negative out of a positive - perhaps it's because Andy has a winning H2H against her idol Federer!

............... and she obviously hasn't done her homework - banging on about Andy going out to practice because he hasn't been on court long enough when he is presently playing a doubles match!

I agree Alis. She is dreadful. Every comment seems to have a negative edge, and she always seems to support his opponents, no matter who they are.
She was even querying if the 'honeymoon period' with Lendl was over [because Andy was showing some frustration on court]. Pathetic.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Tennis commentators « Reply #16 on: April 19, 2012, 05:19 PM »

I agree Alis. She is dreadful. Every comment seems to have a negative edge, and she always seems to support his opponents, no matter who they are.
She was even querying if the 'honeymoon period' with Lendl was over [because Andy was showing some frustration on court]. Pathetic.

I was really glad to hear both Petch and Fleming shoot her down in flames yesterday when she made one of her ridiculous comments.  She's a nightmare!
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Tennis commentators « Reply #17 on: April 19, 2012, 07:53 PM »

Yes you can see Peter Fleming getting exasperated with her. As others have said she has no time at all for Andy. I can see her going home and worshiping at the shrine of Mr Smug, she is so blatant in her worship of him he can't do any wrong in her eyes. If she is going to go on like this she should be told that she should be fairer in her comments. Mark Petchey  is okay at least he is fair and what's happened to Marcus he's bad enough but Annabelle is dreadful.
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Tennis commentators « Reply #18 on: April 19, 2012, 08:28 PM »

I can't stand Sycophantic Croft, she is solo loo two faced, getting a dig in about Andy whenever possible then smarming her way through an interview with him.  She has the personality of a wooden door, one of those cheap and nasty ones you buy for £20 in the end of season "bargain bucket".
What is the difficulty with finding a decent, neutral, impartial, balanced comm/pundit.  Have a lot of time for Peter Fleming who is all of these things and also very knowledgable.  Also admire Petchy's loyalty to Andy, he never jumps on the "He'll never win a slam" bandwagon.
And then there's Andrew Castle but life is just too short to waste time on him.........
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Tennis commentators « Reply #19 on: April 19, 2012, 08:30 PM »

Major typo meant to say sooooooooo two faced - IPad bloody rubbish to type on!!!
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Tennis commentators « Reply #20 on: April 19, 2012, 10:18 PM »

Don't worry - we got the message MM and soooooooooooo agree!
IP Logged
craighateslife
Challenger Level

Gotta eat Protein

Re: Tennis commentators « Reply #21 on: April 19, 2012, 11:33 PM »

Commentators on tennis tv are very good.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Tennis commentators « Reply #22 on: May 14, 2012, 09:55 AM »

I can't stand Sycophantic Croft, she is solo loo two faced, getting a dig in about Andy whenever possible then smarming her way through an interview with him.  She has the personality of a wooden door, one of those cheap and nasty ones you buy for £20 in the end of season "bargain bucket".

Croft judges everyone on whether they'd get past the enrolment committee at her yacht club. Anyone from north of Gerrards Cross is to be eyed with suspicion.

And yes, she is perfect for Eurosport, the channel without a personality.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Tennis commentators « Reply #23 on: May 15, 2012, 06:50 AM »

Agree with Craig Smile Lots of banter and knowledge.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Tennis commentators « Reply #24 on: July 20, 2012, 04:30 PM »

Hi All,

I can't stand Annabel Croft. I reached the conclusion long ago that she just doesn't like Andy. I'd love to hear her trying to talk her way out of his great Wimbledon performance. How much do you want to bet that she'll drone on about Nadal going out helped Andy, and then she'll wax lyrical about Federer, whilst being almost on her knees. Awful woman.

I love Peter Fleming, he just makes me laugh. I think it was the USO last year, he nearly killed me with a comment. He was commentating with Barry Cowan. Now when these two work together I always think you can almost hear Peter grinding his teeth. However, he played a blinder of a remark during one match, and the worst of it is that I can't remember who was playing. All I know is that it took me the remainder of the match to stop laughing. Barry Cowan remarked on a shot, saying something like 'we would never have got back to that'. Quick as a flash, and in the flattest tone you could ever imagine Peter goes, 'I would've, you wouldn't, you're too fat.' Cruel, maybe, but a total classic! What made me laugh even more was that Barry didn't utter a word in response, in fact I think there was no commentary at all for a good five minutes!

Mark Petchey is just a natural at commentary. He's one I've learned a lot from just by listening. I would describe him as a toned down version of McEnroe, who, now he has learned to shut up during points, is a great commentator.

Going back to Barry Cowan, I have to admit it, I despise him. The minute the man opens his mouth I want to smack him. I can't help feeling he is jealous of Andy.

Chris Bradman and Simon Reed get on my nerves as well. Bradman is too fond of the sound of his own voice and Reed just drives me mad.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Tennis commentators « Reply #25 on: July 20, 2012, 04:56 PM »

I agree teejay 1 I cannot stand Annabel Croft either she just adores Mr Smug if he appeared she would kneel down and kiss his feet. You can see it a mile off she and creeper Wade make a fine pair. I like Peter Fleming as he is very fair so is Mark Petchy and he knows Andy very well. Sometimes when I watch the tennis if those two females are on I can feel the steam coming out my ears. Andrew Castle is bearable just on the whole if it is someone I do not like I turn down the sound. After all we have eyes and see what is going on without someone spouting out rubbish.
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Tennis commentators « Reply #26 on: July 20, 2012, 10:11 PM »

If I had the power, I would form a team of really good comms for all tourneys, this team would be as follows

1.  Jim Courier - funny, knowledgable, well informed, balanced and neutral
2.  Peter Fleming - very funny, again knowledgable and appreciative of good tennis and skills
3.  Mark Petchey - never sways in his belief of Andy and can be quite funny i.e. The USO interview with Andy, Fleming and Hutchins.
4.  Sam Smith - was very good during the FO, neutral and knowledgeable

I would also create a retirement home in which I would place the following

1.  Virginia Wade - no explanation required here but I would put her in the RF wing where she could watch videos of her beloved player 24/7 her room mate would be Annabel Croft again they could appease each other with their memories of the King of Smug and Wade could retail Croft with tales of being a success something that Croft would know nothing about.

2.  Anyone from Eurotrash as they are all **** and Fedluvvies.

3.  Andrew Castle, he would, for his own safety have to be put in a locked wing in isolation as he is so irritatingly awful.

4.  John Lloyd - just really for being John Lloyd.

5.  Sue Barker

Any thoughts ..........
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Tennis commentators « Reply #27 on: July 20, 2012, 10:53 PM »

Certainly agree with your 'dream team' MM.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

Re: Tennis commentators « Reply #28 on: July 20, 2012, 11:14 PM »

If I had the power, I would form a team of really good comms for all tourneys, this team would be as follows

1.  Jim Courier - funny, knowledgable, well informed, balanced and neutral
2.  Peter Fleming - very funny, again knowledgable and appreciative of good tennis and skills
3.  Mark Petchey - never sways in his belief of Andy and can be quite funny i.e. The USO interview with Andy, Fleming and Hutchins.
4.  Sam Smith - was very good during the FO, neutral and knowledgeable

I would also create a retirement home in which I would place the following

1.  Virginia Wade - no explanation required here but I would put her in the RF wing where she could watch videos of her beloved player 24/7 her room mate would be Annabel Croft again they could appease each other with their memories of the King of Smug and Wade could retail Croft with tales of being a success something that Croft would know nothing about.

2.  Anyone from Eurotrash as they are all sh*t and Fedluvvies.

3.  Andrew Castle, he would, for his own safety have to be put in a locked wing in isolation as he is so irritatingly awful.

4.  John Lloyd - just really for being John Lloyd.

5.  Sue Barker

Any thoughts ..........

I think everyone would agree with your top 4. But I'd add Castle. He's a slimy creep but his commentary's not bad and he's not as pro-Fed and anti-Andy as people make out.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

Re: Tennis commentators « Reply #29 on: July 20, 2012, 11:18 PM »

Doesn't all this make you realise how crap Dan Maskell was?

"Oh, I say."

"That was a peach of a volley."
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »