Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Tennis commentators 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Reply
Author

Tennis commentators

(Read 2683 times)
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Tennis commentators « Reply #30 on: July 21, 2012, 12:44 AM »

Doesn't all this make you realise how crap Dan Maskell was?

"Oh, I say."

"That was a peach of a volley."
I find myself on a nob-outing mission, and I don't know how that happened. Yet another of my childhood fave's demasked.
Dan Maskell was apparently another nob according to his daughter. Shame.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2008900/Dan-Maskells-daughter-reveals-truth-voice-Wimbledon.html
EDIT: On reflection after re-reading this article, to be fair, I think he was an old-school children-should-be-seen-and-not-heard father. Not unusual for his time.

As to current commies:

I like Rob Koenig. Knowledgeable, calm, fair.

I also like Johnny Mac. Interesting to me how calm he is considering how he is polar opposite when on court. Altho' I've noticed his commentary changes when he switches from North American TV to Euro TV.

But bottom line for me is Darren Cahill.  The only commie whose spot-on judgement I trust.
[ Last edit by scotnadian July 21, 2012, 01:08 AM ] IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Tennis commentators « Reply #31 on: July 21, 2012, 10:24 AM »

I find myself on a nob-outing mission, and I don't know how that happened. Yet another of my childhood fave's demasked.
Dan Maskell was apparently another nob according to his daughter. Shame.

He didn't sound that bad - just a bit distant. Came from another era. But compare his commentary to Petch's or Courier's. It's laughable.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Tennis commentators « Reply #32 on: July 21, 2012, 12:27 PM »

^ Yeah, when I re-read the article last night I thought the same and edited my post a few minutes later.
I also think his commentary was indicative of that era.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Tennis commentators « Reply #33 on: July 21, 2012, 01:26 PM »

I have nothing against Castle either, in-fact many of the anti-Andy camp go on about how much he loves Andy. He is VERY pro-Andy, just listen to him. Raves about him during matches.

I prefer Petchey though, easily my favourite commentator. Not even sure why, he just seems like such a humble guy but also knows his stuff and is very balanced in his view. Courier was great at the FO, really was. That would be my ideal team. Fleming, Shiras, Sam Smith and McEnroe are all good commentators too.

I've never heard Darren Cahill (I guess he does it for American TV?) but I'd like to.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Re: Tennis commentators « Reply #34 on: July 21, 2012, 02:15 PM »

^Darren Cahill..

I get him on ESPN, along with:
Johnny Mac  thumb up
Patrick Mac  Rolling Eyes
Brad (Bonkers) Gilbert 
Chrissie Evert  yawn
..and Pam Shriver  blahblah
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Tennis commentators « Reply #35 on: July 21, 2012, 06:07 PM »

I have nothing against Castle either, in-fact many of the anti-Andy camp go on about how much he loves Andy. He is VERY pro-Andy, just listen to him. Raves about him during matches.

I prefer Petchey though, easily my favourite commentator. Not even sure why, he just seems like such a humble guy but also knows his stuff and is very balanced in his view. Courier was great at the FO, really was. That would be my ideal team. Fleming, Shiras, Sam Smith and McEnroe are all good commentators too.

I've never heard Darren Cahill (I guess he does it for American TV?) but I'd like to.

Bouncy seems to have changed his tune this season.  He used to be really snidy about Andy - especially when he was with Lloyd - but this year I've heard many more positive comments from him. 
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »