Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Tennis News 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 275 276 277 [278] 279 280 281 ... 308 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Tennis News  (Read 109601 times)
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4155 on: May 30, 2013, 01:13 PM »

I think any of us could have a job like that. The knowledge on tennis from everyone here is of a high quality.

Being serious for a mo', I never put myself in that category. I'm not all that knowledgeable really, but would like to be. That's why I ask questions a lot, which probably makes me annoying lol. I've learned a lot by being on here though, learning from people who know a lot more than I do, so thanks everyone.
IP Logged
Connor
World No 1

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4156 on: May 30, 2013, 01:27 PM »

Being serious for a mo', I never put myself in that category. I'm not all that knowledgeable really, but would like to be. That's why I ask questions a lot, which probably makes me annoying lol. I've learned a lot by being on here though, learning from people who know a lot more than I do, so thanks everyone.

Teejay, I think you know more about tennis than you think you do. Don't feel disheartened, you are very knowledgable indeed.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4157 on: May 30, 2013, 02:20 PM »

Teejay, I think you know more about tennis than you think you do. Don't feel disheartened, you are very knowledgable indeed.

Bless you Gangsta, that's kind. I suppose I've learned a tiny bit from watching. I'm a wee bit better now at telling a good shot from a bad shot, that sort of thing. What I can't do, that many of you do so well, is know what a player should do in a situation. So often if Andy, for example, plays the wrong shot, one or other of you will know that and also know what he should have played instead. I can never tell, but would love to be able to.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4158 on: May 30, 2013, 03:08 PM »

Bless you Gangsta, that's kind. I suppose I've learned a tiny bit from watching. I'm a wee bit better now at telling a good shot from a bad shot, that sort of thing. What I can't do, that many of you do so well, is know what a player should do in a situation. So often if Andy, for example, plays the wrong shot, one or other of you will know that and also know what he should have played instead. I can never tell, but would love to be able to.

Here's my simplified guide to pro tennis, based on 35 years as a keen fan, player and coach.

Tennis is all about momentum. One player is always in the ascendancy. With that simple thought in mind, here are the rules:

1) If you have the momentum, play solid, deep, unspectacular tennis and put the pressure on your opponent to force the action.

2) If your opponent has the momentum, you should look to attack more, go to Plan B, change things up.

3) Never play a drop shot if you don't have the momentum. It NEVER works.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

You mesmerize me, Andy

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4159 on: May 30, 2013, 03:27 PM »

Here's my simplified guide to pro tennis, based on 35 years as a keen fan, player and coach.

Tennis is all about momentum. One player is always in the ascendancy. With that simple thought in mind, here are the rules:

1) If you have the momentum, play solid, deep, unspectacular tennis and put the pressure on your opponent to force the action.

2) If your opponent has the momentum, you should look to attack more, go to Plan B, change things up.

Thanks for that Nigel. Really helps. yes
I like Teejay, feel have less knowledge about tennis too. I feel TJ is much better than me actually. I love her posts since I agree with her all the time. For me, tennis is like entertainment. I will never be able to understand the conditions, the tactics, strategy etc involved in a match. It feels nice when someone posts about all those since it helps you understand a little bit.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4160 on: May 30, 2013, 04:33 PM »

Unless you're Andy Murray.

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4161 on: May 31, 2013, 04:46 AM »

Seeding system makes the sport boring - Rosset

PARIS (Reuters) - Men's tennis is a dull affair between the same four players and the current
seeding system is to blame, according to Switzerland's 1992 Olympic champion Marc Rosset.

"What tennis is becoming scares me," said Rosset, who reached a career high world number nine
in 1995 and has 15 ATP titles to his name.

Full article: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-05-29/sports/sns-rt-us-tennis-open-rossetbre94s121-20130529_1_seeding-system-wimbledon-seeded-players
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4162 on: May 31, 2013, 06:32 AM »

@ Grab
Aaaaahhh, have been reminded of those dreadful drop shots Andy made such a feature of at one Wimbledon visit
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4163 on: May 31, 2013, 02:19 PM »

Seeding system makes the sport boring - Rosset

PARIS (Reuters) - Men's tennis is a dull affair between the same four players and the current
seeding system is to blame, according to Switzerland's 1992 Olympic champion Marc Rosset.

"What tennis is becoming scares me," said Rosset, who reached a career high world number nine
in 1995 and has 15 ATP titles to his name.

Full article: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-05-29/sports/sns-rt-us-tennis-open-rossetbre94s121-20130529_1_seeding-system-wimbledon-seeded-players
Yawn.
IP Logged
jillypops

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4164 on: June 01, 2013, 02:40 PM »

Not sure if this is the right place for my question.
Did anyone see the disillusion this morning on ITV about the LTA and what should be done when the new Chief Executive takes over?????  I thought it interesting when Neil Harman said he "had thrown his hat into the ring" but was rejected in the first instance.
Also can anyone tell me how to e mail the ITV team at RG
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4165 on: June 01, 2013, 08:25 PM »

Sorry jillypops I can't find out who you might contact.  RG does have a 'contact us' section, but it relates only to Twitter and Facebook, which seems a bit strange.  Maybe you might get somewhere though by contacting [email protected]
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4166 on: June 01, 2013, 08:45 PM »

I was watching the coverage of RG on ITV. I am sure Niel Harman, Mark Petchy and Sam Smith were having a big discussion about the LTA. I did not catch it all but it was quite heated about tennis in UK.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4167 on: June 01, 2013, 08:58 PM »

I was watching the coverage of RG on ITV. I am sure Niel Harman, Mark Petchy and Sam Smith were having a big discussion about the LTA. I did not catch it all but it was quite heated about tennis in UK.

There's been a lot of talk about it on twitter today with no specifics.  Tried to find a recording to no avail.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4168 on: June 01, 2013, 09:50 PM »

They were discussing the search for a new head of British tennis. Geberal consenus was they needed someone  'revolutionary' who wouldn't be a yes man and would shake things up. They weren't willing to suggest names  in case they got in bother( I think the decision is being made soon and didn't want to appear to be trying to prejudice the decision) though Neil Harman - having said that he had applied for the role previously and didn't get past first base wants David lloyd. He was bemoanong the fact that he and John Inverdale had had the same discussion 20 years before and nothing much had changed. They were wanting someone that could lead us to the position the French are in where thay now have a good number of players within top 100. It was a very interesting discussion.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4169 on: June 01, 2013, 10:19 PM »

They were discussing the search for a new head of British tennis. Geberal consenus was they needed someone  'revolutionary' who wouldn't be a yes man and would shake things up. They weren't willing to suggest names  in case they got in bother( I think the decision is being made soon and didn't want to appear to be trying to prejudice the decision) though Neil Harman - having said that he had applied for the role previously and didn't get past first base wants David lloyd. He was bemoanong the fact that he and John Inverdale had had the same discussion 20 years before and nothing much had changed. They were wanting someone that could lead us to the position the French are in where thay now have a good number of players within top 100. It was a very interesting discussion.

Yes and their guy leads from the front. You only have to watch him court side to see the passion he has for French tennis. 
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 275 276 277 [278] 279 280 281 ... 308 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »