Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Kevin Anderson, Friday, Time: 12 noon BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Tennis News 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 286 287 288 [289] 290 291 292 ... 313 Go Down Reply
Author

Tennis News

(Read 124271 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4320 on: December 04, 2013, 10:18 PM »

Bernard Tomic appoints Velimir Zovko as coach during father's ban

The Australian No1 Bernard Tomic has appointed Velimir Zovko as his new co-coach while his father John serves the remainder of a ban for assaulting his former training partner.

Tomic, currently ranked 51st in the world, said he would continue to be coached by his father away from tournaments as he targets a rise into the top 20 this year.

"This guy will be more there on court, spending more hours with me," the 21-year-old told Wednesday's Sydney Morning Herald. "My dad will sort of be less, but obviously my dad knows me best, and if he sees something that's obviously wrong or mistaken then they'll have a talk about it outside of tennis.

"He's from Croatia, he speaks my language, and it's very important for me to have a good communication, someone that understands me, my background, because it's not easy – I'm a difficult sort of guy."

John Tomic was sentenced to eight months in prison by a Spanish court in September for headbutting the French player Thomas Drouet and breaking his nose. Tomic was not required to serve jail time because his sentence was under two years in length.

The ATP decided last year to withhold his accreditation for all tour events and will consider whether to lift the ban next May.

His son, long-touted as the great hope for Australian men's tennis and a Wimbledon quarter-finalist in 2011, made headlines in Australia recently after being pictured celebrating his 21st birthday in a Gold Coast nightclub.

Tomic has recently moved his base from Queensland, however, and will work with former Croatian Olympic team coach Zovko at the National Tennis Centre in Melbourne.

"From what I've heard, he's disciplined, it's something what I need, and it's obviously something new. I'm looking forward," Tomic said. "I can't say what he can bring, but obviously I'm going to pick it up throughout the weeks as they go by and hopefully it can work out."

Tomic will start his season at the Hopman Cup team event in Perth before defending his maiden ATP title at the Sydney International in the week before the Australian Open, which starts on 13 January.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/dec/04/bernard-tomic-velimir-zovko-coach-father
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4321 on: December 04, 2013, 10:29 PM »

^ I wish Tomic would off-load his father completely, at least during this period, because it sounds like a recipe for disaster, unless Tomic Snr has learnt to control his temper.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4322 on: December 07, 2013, 07:22 AM »

For all of you starved of tennis: Veterans tournament from Albert Hall, ITV 4 from 1pm today.
Mac played yesterday wub
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4323 on: December 07, 2013, 07:50 AM »

For all of you starved of tennis: Veterans tournament from Albert Hall, ITV 4 from 1pm today.
Mac played yesterday wub

Cheers  thumb up might tune in to that!
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4324 on: December 07, 2013, 01:59 PM »

BREAKING NEWS: Blonderena is back! I love her blonde Heart

IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4325 on: December 07, 2013, 02:30 PM »

no one cares
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4326 on: December 07, 2013, 04:37 PM »

Mac played yesterday wub

Thanks for that. Enjoying the doubles at the moment!
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4327 on: December 07, 2013, 11:17 PM »

BREAKING NEWS: Blonderena is back! I love her blonde Heart

That's not blonde!

Its her own coulor with blonde subtle highlights through it,
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4328 on: December 07, 2013, 11:23 PM »

That's not blonde!

Its her own coulor with blonde subtle highlights through it,

It's blonder than it was in Istanbul, but I also think that its the shadow that's hiding just how blonde it is.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4329 on: December 08, 2013, 03:52 AM »

Mac played yesterday wub
Didn't get round to watching until evening, so only saw the Rafter/Ivanisevic match.  Goran as daft as ever. lol   Bring back the S&V I say!  It's so much more pleasure to watch.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4330 on: December 08, 2013, 07:20 AM »

Glad you enjoyed it Elena . Hope you did too, Angie.  Mac today wub
@Aileen, yes, Goran was always thus, but loved it when he won Wimbles yay
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4331 on: December 08, 2013, 06:48 PM »

I always had quite a soft spot for Goran, so was delighted when he won Wimbledon.

Had to miss the singles final unfortunately.  Who won?  It sounds like a missed a good match anyway.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4332 on: December 08, 2013, 09:19 PM »

Rafter won against Henman and Mac won the legends. Says he'll be back again next year, body willing and even when he stops playing singles there will play dubs.  Some great tennis these last couple of days from the vets.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4333 on: December 09, 2013, 02:32 AM »

Thanks Ruthie.  I had a feeling Rafter would win.  Shame I had to miss Mac though.  He was always one of my favourites, 'superbrat' and all.
IP Logged
tomthoms
Murraymaniac

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4334 on: December 09, 2013, 08:44 AM »

^ Same. He's an old master.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 286 287 288 [289] 290 291 292 ... 313 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »