Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Tennis News 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 294 [295] 296 297 298 ... 313 Go Down Reply
Author

Tennis News

(Read 129926 times)
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4410 on: January 01, 2014, 12:36 PM »

I think some people are under the impression that there is a progression to honours, i.e. OBE, CBE, Knighthood. That isn't the case. I also don't think there is a specific time span as such. It appears to be down to the powers that be at the time.

I can think of one person who springs immediately to mind who received an OBE in 1980. They received Knighthood in 1995. In that case though, only one of the honours was connected with that person's career. The other was for charity work.

I think the situation with Andy is one of those no win things. If he'd got the knighthood people would have said he was too young. Well, he hasn't got it, so people are up in arms.

I think Andy deserves a knighthood. Wimbledon aside, he's done more for British tennis than most people I can think of. In this country tennis, though most still don't play, is now considered a serious sport. That is down to Andy. However, Andy has the chance to still do much more in his career. I'm quite happy to think he will be Sir Andy one day, when he hangs up his racquet for good. Until then he has other titles to win.

Another thought that occurs to me is how do people know Andy wasn't offered a knighthood? He could have been offered it and declined. He did say when the idea was first mooted that he thought he was too young for it.
IP Logged
benniebone
ATP Level

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4411 on: January 01, 2014, 12:42 PM »

Welcome back teejay1,you've been away too long  I appreciate your comments You summarise the difficulties very well I just wonder why everybody seems to think you've got to be old to get a knighthood There's a female who was the first woman to sail round the world singlehanded and she received a Damehood at about Andy's age
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4412 on: January 01, 2014, 06:02 PM »

The problem is that all the rules re honours in UK are based on the needs of the Civil Service The waiting period is 5 years
 My point is that this is not suitable for sports personalities  Very few stay at the top for 5 years and often their time amongst the very top  is much less  whereas in the civil service you are dealing with
 career spans of 40 years
 Sports honours should be different
 I even heard one of the pundits on the Today Programme say that if Andy won Wimbledon again in 2014 he might get his knighthood then !
The honours system is a complete mess

It's completely archaic as well.  British Empire for a start.  What British Empire?  That finally died a death nearly 70 years ago when the USA and Russia started carving up the world.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4413 on: January 01, 2014, 10:09 PM »

It's completely archaic as well.  British Empire for a start.  What British Empire?  That finally died a death nearly 70 years ago when the USA and Russia started carving up the world.

Scrap the honours system and start a new one.    I think the fact that some countries were tired of being ruled from Westminster may have contributed to the break up of the BE.    Whistle
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4414 on: January 01, 2014, 10:49 PM »

Welcome back teejay1,you've been away too long  I appreciate your comments You summarise the difficulties very well I just wonder why everybody seems to think you've got to be old to get a knighthood There's a female who was the first woman to sail round the world singlehanded and she received a Damehood at about Andy's age

Yep, it was Ellen MacArthur and she was 28.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/jul/14/should-andy-murray-receive-knighthood

By the numbers, there also seems to be a massive preference for knighting sailors and cricketers. Just one tennis knighthood (an Aussie, Norman Brookes, in 1939).

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/andy-murray-overlooked-for-knighthood-in-new-years-honours-list--despite-being-recommended-by-no-10-9027610.html

Officials say that, as a general rule of thumb, MBEs are for people who have made a major contribution to their local community, OBEs are for those whose achievements are recognised nationally, while CBEs and knighthoods are for those whose performance is internationally renowned.

-----------
Going by the general rule of thumb Andy should have been awarded more than an OBE after his Olympic and US Open win. I do believe Andy deserves a knighthood but I think it would be an added pressure that he doesn't need right now. In saying that if Beckham had been given one I would have been raging.

Tennis does seem to lose out when it comes to honours in sport.
[ Last edit by IonaRed January 02, 2014, 12:11 AM ] IP Logged
benniebone
ATP Level

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4415 on: January 02, 2014, 10:04 AM »

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/jul/14/should-andy-murray-receive-knighthood

By the numbers, there also seems to be a massive preference for knighting sailors and cricketers. Just one tennis knighthood (an Aussie, Norman Brookes, in 1939).

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/andy-murray-overlooked-for-knighthood-in-new-years-honours-list--despite-being-recommended-by-no-10-9027610.html

Officials say that, as a general rule of thumb, MBEs are for people who have made a major contribution to their local community, OBEs are for those whose achievements are recognised nationally, while CBEs and knighthoods are for those whose performance is internationally renowned.

-----------
Going by the general rule of thumb Andy should have been awarded more than an OBE after his Olympic and US Open win. I do believe Andy deserves a knighthood but I think it would be an added pressure that he doesn't need right now. In saying that if Beckham had been given one I would have been raging.

Excellent post Iona Red,thanks for helping me out
The only thing I wpould add is that whenever a person gets an honour in Sport,business etc they say that its really an honour for the business,sport etc and not personal to them   Tennis is certainly overdue for some recognition
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4416 on: January 02, 2014, 01:29 PM »

-----------
Going by the general rule of thumb Andy should have been awarded more than an OBE after his Olympic and US Open win. I do believe Andy deserves a knighthood but I think it would be an added pressure that he doesn't need right now. In saying that if Beckham had been given one I would have been raging.er

Thanks for all the info Iona.  I'd forgotten about Ellen MacArthur, but I don't begrudge her the honour for what she achieved.  I do like John Niven's comment though - "any chalice offered from the mouth that sits in the middle of Cameron's plum face is, at best, poisoned."

Perhaps awards should be split into categories, with sport having its own one, although a good number of tennis players have received the equivalent of the OBE in their own countries.

Scrap the honours system and start a new one.    I think the fact that some countries were tired of being ruled from Westminster may have contributed to the break up of the BE.    Whistle
Of course that was a factor, but that wasn't peculiar to Britain.  The French, Spanish and Dutch all had their own empires, albeit not to quite the same extent, but the countries which were colonised actually evolved thanks to that colonialisation, with the inevitable outcome that, in time, they wanted to be independent of their masters.
IP Logged
caroline
Seed

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4417 on: January 10, 2014, 05:46 PM »

For anyone that maybe interested and has sky.Saturday 7 30pm-9-30 replay of 2013 AO final Andy verses Novak.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4418 on: January 10, 2014, 06:06 PM »

For anyone that maybe interested and has sky.Saturday 7 30pm-9-30 replay of 2013 AO final Andy verses Novak.

I think I might give that a miss. Could live without seeing those dreadful blisters again. I think putting them up on the big screen was gross Smile.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
Seed

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4419 on: January 10, 2014, 07:39 PM »

I think I might give that a miss. Could live without seeing those dreadful blisters again. I think putting them up on the big screen was gross Smile.

Ha ha , I saw that advertised on Eurosport half an hour ago aand my first thought was 'eh don't fancy seeing those blisters again'
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4420 on: January 10, 2014, 09:06 PM »

I agree TJ.  Totally unnecessary.  I mean, do spectators really want to see that sort of thing?  It's a bit of an intrusion into a player's privacy if you ask me.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4421 on: January 10, 2014, 09:11 PM »

I agree TJ.  Totally unnecessary.  I mean, do spectators really want to see that sort of thing?  It's a bit of an intrusion into a player's privacy if you ask me.

I agree, I think we both said something like that at the time. It was also a great way to let Djokovic know Andy had a problem, which struck me as stupid, and a bit unfair. I mean, surely they weren't daft enough to assume Djokovic wouldn't look at the screen? Any player surely would.

What with that and the white feather of doom, I couldn't take it again Smile.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4422 on: January 10, 2014, 09:13 PM »

That feather gave me the shivvers.  Weird ... nervous
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4423 on: January 10, 2014, 10:10 PM »

That feather made Andy lose.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4424 on: January 10, 2014, 10:35 PM »

That's why it's a bit unnerving.  I mean it could have landed anywhere in that arena but it seems fate decreed that it land at his feet, and unfortunately he let his mind get diverted by it by wasting precious seconds wondering whether he should remove it or not, and the rest is history.

It's all very well people saying he should just have ignored it, but it's the surprise element that can catch you out.  Knowing how wary players are about anything, no matter how small, that appears on the court I can understand his dilemma because he probably wondered at first just exactly what it was.  Would Nadal, Djoko or Fed have reacted in the same way?  I don't know.  Mind you, Nadal would be so preoccupied fiddling with himself that he probably wouldn't have noticed it!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 294 [295] 296 297 298 ... 313 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »