Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Tennis News 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 296 297 298 [299] 300 301 302 ... 313 Go Down Reply
Author

Tennis News

(Read 116684 times)
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4470 on: February 07, 2014, 09:58 AM »

It's a shame for the Buenos Aires tournament - they'd build their entire event around Nadal's participation and he lets them down a couple of days before the draw is going to be made.

I do wonder why he bothered with the stomach virus excuse - surely back pain alone would've been enough? - no need to complicate things.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4471 on: February 07, 2014, 10:40 AM »

definitely biased, admittedly, but to me nole is not a prima-donna. he won *everything* he entered after the us open last year (where he reached the finals), i.e.,  1 500, 2 masters, and WTF, established another all time streak (ended at 28 matches, in the top 20 all time), beat the most top tens consecutively, and then he went on those argentinian exhos with rafa (which i think he shouldn't've but whatever). so i can see how he felt worn out. he had a super heavy fall season. and then mentally all those losses in crucial matches, plus a new coach, etc., might've all weighed on him. seems viable.

I said the same last week Janet (and I'm not biased) - but they're a tough lot here!
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4472 on: February 07, 2014, 01:17 PM »

My view is that he looked at the AO and knew Murray was still coming back, He walks all over Ferrer and Federer, and is aware that Djokovic is having a bit of a crisis of confidence at the moment. He wouldn't have considered anyone else. As a result he and his were a bit lax in their "preparation".

I imagine he is spending his little break doing a bit of cycling to get fit for the clay.

Interesting that the "knees" are not being trotted out much these days. I imagine he and his team have realised that that one is no longer even vaguely credible.
Lovely!! Well put Masaka.
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4473 on: February 07, 2014, 04:06 PM »

"Since I came back from the Australian Open with my back injury I have not been able to train," he said in Thursday's video, which came against a backdrop of several trophies. "I had hoped to train this morning but could not because of a stomach virus...it is impossible for me to prepare adequately for a competition as important as the one in Buenos Aires."

I'm sure he said very similar words before pulling out of last year's Australian Open.

Oh yes, he did. Here they are:

"I am sorry and very sad to announce that I will not play in the Australian Open," Nadal said. "My knee is coming along okay, but a stomach virus has left me unable to get ready in time to tackle the rigours of a grand slam."

Well then! These are shockingly similar ...  Whistle
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4474 on: February 07, 2014, 04:33 PM »

^ Lol! Who believes this stuff? Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4475 on: February 07, 2014, 06:15 PM »

"Since I came back from the Australian Open with my back injury I have not been able to train," he said in Thursday's video, which came against a backdrop of several trophies. "I had hoped to train this morning but could not because of a stomach virus...it is impossible for me to prepare adequately for a competition as important as the one in Buenos Aires."

I'm sure he said very similar words before pulling out of last year's Australian Open.

Oh yes, he did. Here they are:

"I am sorry and very sad to announce that I will not play in the Australian Open," Nadal said. "My knee is coming along okay, but a stomach virus has left me unable to get ready in time to tackle the rigours of a grand slam."

It would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic.  Why do people some people continue to believe this constant tissue of lies?  The media, of course, daren't point the finger without any concrete evidence, otherwise they'd stand accused of libel.  Or maybe they do have evidence but are scared because of the repercussions it would have should they reveal it.

[ Last edit by Aileen February 07, 2014, 06:34 PM ] IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4476 on: February 07, 2014, 06:25 PM »

Stomach virus my arse!!!!! What a load of  poo
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4477 on: February 07, 2014, 06:32 PM »

Nadal pulls out of Buenos Aires with a 'stomach virus'. Here we go again.

Masaka, you there?
It's me, Elly.  Even my tolerance is wearing very thin here. My tolerance wore thin at Aus Open, tbh.  

It is I - Olly - the Nodal is gaing to rotshut!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4478 on: February 07, 2014, 06:33 PM »

It's a shame for the Buenos Aires tournament - they'd build their entire event around Nadal's participation and he lets them down a couple of days before the draw is going to be made.

I do wonder why he bothered with the stomach virus excuse - surely back pain alone would've been enough? - no need to complicate things.
I agree Katie.  It's extremely unfair on the BA organisers.  I understand Ferrer is taking his place, but that isn't much compensation.

Nadal's complicated excuses remind me of the quote from Scott (often wrongly attributed to Shakespeare) - "Oh, what a tangled web we weave: When first we practise to deceive!"  One of these days, unless his luck continues to hold, he'll tie himself in so many knots he'll strangle himself.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4479 on: February 07, 2014, 06:44 PM »

Australian Open final was my worst experience: Rafael Nadal

"I knew I had no chance of winning (the Australian Open final), but I had no intention of retiring. It was the worst hour and a half that I have spent on a tennis court," Nadal told the Spanish radio network Monday night.

The Spanish star, who sustained a back injury in the final of the years first Grand Slam tournament, said it had been a bit harder to recover from the loss in Melbourne than from other defeats.

"The soul is good. It wouldnt be right to say I was not well after all the things this life has given me. I am a person that takes losses very well, I always have been, and I really do not think about them anymore after a few hours. This time its taking me a little more," Nadal said.

The Spanish star said he had not yet decided whether he would play in next week`s tournament in Buenos Aires.
"I am fine. I underwent another examination today (Monday) and I have continued the same treatment since I returned from Melbourne. I have not yet hit the court or done any exercise, I have been resting and have tried to do the right rehabilitation so I can get back on court as soon as possible, am my goal is to do it Thursday," Nadal said.

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/dcn2A?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=tennis
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4480 on: February 07, 2014, 06:48 PM »

Australian Open final was my worst experience: Rafael Nadal

"I knew I had no chance of winning (the Australian Open final), but I had no intention of retiring. It was the worst hour and a half that I have spent on a tennis court," Nadal told the Spanish radio network Monday night.

The Spanish star, who sustained a back injury in the final of the years first Grand Slam tournament, said it had been a bit harder to recover from the loss in Melbourne than from other defeats.

"The soul is good. It wouldnt be right to say I was not well after all the things this life has given me. I am a person that takes losses very well, I always have been, and I really do not think about them anymore after a few hours. This time its taking me a little more," Nadal said.

The Spanish star said he had not yet decided whether he would play in next week`s tournament in Buenos Aires.
"I am fine. I underwent another examination today (Monday) and I have continued the same treatment since I returned from Melbourne. I have not yet hit the court or done any exercise, I have been resting and have tried to do the right rehabilitation so I can get back on court as soon as possible, am my goal is to do it Thursday," Nadal said.

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/dcn2A?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=tennis
Don't know what to make of that, tbh.  He made it clear during the match he wasn't well - then came back.  Shrug
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4481 on: February 07, 2014, 06:58 PM »

Unfortunately given Nadal's track record of excuses I find it hard to believe a word he says.  I don't doubt he did hurt his back, but why not continue to use this as reason for skipping BA rather than a stomach virus - an excuse he trotted out a year ago for missing the AO?  Also it must have struck him very suddenly given that he tweeted, with a photograph, about attending an award ceremony in Barcelona on Monday evening.  OK so these things can strike without warning, but in this case it just sounds too pat for my liking.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4482 on: February 07, 2014, 07:08 PM »

I'm afraid I don't trust a word that comes from Nadal or his team these days.  A shame really because I used to really enjoy watching him play and now I can't watch him without feeling that all his wins may be tainted.  That could be grossly unfair, of course, maybe all the injuries and illnesses are legitimate and he's just the most injury/virus prone athlete there ever has been and, then again, maybe I'm Mickey Mouse!!

IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4483 on: February 07, 2014, 07:14 PM »

I'm afraid I don't trust a word that comes from Nadal or his team these days.  A shame really because I used to really enjoy watching him play and now I can't watch him without feeling that all his wins may be tainted.  That could be grossly unfair, of course, maybe all the injuries and illnesses are legitimate and he's just the most injury/virus prone athlete there ever has been and, then again, maybe I'm Mickey Mouse!!

It's difficult not to be cynical.  I agree. however, there is only so much 'crying wolf' people will get on board with.  I'm not a fan of Uncle Toni - and I do think Rafa has been his puppet.  Shame, really, as I think he really needed to move on a long time ago, and now it's telling a lot.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4484 on: February 07, 2014, 08:02 PM »

Let Nadal and Djokovic stay away more points for Andy.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 296 297 298 [299] 300 301 302 ... 313 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »