Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Tennis News 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 216 [217] 218 219 220 ... 313 Go Down Reply
Author

Tennis News

(Read 116809 times)
Elena
Seed

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3240 on: September 29, 2012, 03:41 PM »

Wins today for French players who live in Switzerland: In Bangkok SFs Simon beat Tipsy (6-4 6-4), and Gasquet beat Niemenen (3-6 7-5 6-2).
In Kuala Lumpur SFs Benneteau beat Ferrer (6-4 6-1) He'll play Monaco in the final.

But I suppose that with no 1st round byes at Tokyo or Beijing the losers might be quite happy to be on their way already.

IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3241 on: September 29, 2012, 04:28 PM »

Pleased that Simon beat Tipsy (even if I'm not quite as big a Simon fan as I was bbh   Whistle  ).  Interesting that Benneteau beat Ferrer so easily.  I suspect the latter plays too many tournaments and has worn himself out .  He is after all 30.   Do hope Pico wins in the final - he's another of my 2nd tier favourites.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3242 on: September 29, 2012, 06:33 PM »

Pleased that Simon beat Tipsy (even if I'm not quite as big a Simon fan as I was bbh   Whistle  ).  Interesting that Benneteau beat Ferrer so easily.  I suspect the latter plays too many tournaments and has worn himself out .  He is after all 30.   Do hope Pico wins in the final - he's another of my 2nd tier favourites.

That's right Ruthie - Ferrer looked exhausted. He said after his match yesterday that he feels physically and mentally very tired. He was actually a break ahead twice in set one but could hardly hold serve at all, had chances in the second but couldn't take the BPs. It was a mistake to play Kuala Lumpur when  he couldn't gain any ranking points - playing three weeks in a row isn't going to make him feel any better.

Benneteau did play very well though and definitely deserved to win. I like Pico too but want Benneteau to win this one - I was really surprised to learn that he's never won a tour title before (7 lost finals). He's a talented shotmaker, I'd have thought he'd have been able to win several titles.

Simon's one of my faves, really pleased that he's showing some form again. He often does well at this time of year. Good to see Gasquet do well too.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3243 on: September 30, 2012, 01:11 AM »

It's amazing to think that Tipsarevic had never won a title a year ago.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3244 on: September 30, 2012, 07:20 AM »

Love Monaco too but want Benneteau to win this one.
Amazing to win your first title at his age.
A triumph of hope over experience.
Think he's just had a really good win in Davis cup doubles too, but may be making that up Whistle
IP Logged
Philip
Seed

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3245 on: September 30, 2012, 01:15 PM »

Monaco won in 3 sets. A fascinating read on the guy.

"When ‘Pico’ (Monaco) was young, we did not have much money at all and we could not afford to buy balls often," relates Marcelo Gomez, Monaco's childhood coach. "I told the boys that to play a point in tennis you only need one ball. So they trained with one ball."

At the time that Monaco was developing his tennis game, Argentina was suffering one of the worst economic crises in its history.

"We had so much hunger to be professionals"

"There are so many times that we only got one ball for practice," Monaco tells DEUCE. "And if we lost it, or the ball broke, then the training was over and we had to do physical conditioning. We all came from a small town and if you could see the club and how bad the condition of the courts was, you would not believe it.

"Those of us from Tandil often talk about it," continues Monaco. "Other countries have invested millions of dollars in player development. We had zero investment. However, each challenge that we faced in Tandil prepared us better for when we went out to play in Buenos Aires or further away against other players who had a lot more support. This pushed us and gave us good foundation. And we had great coaches. We had so much hunger to be professionals. And we worked very hard from a young age."

"All the kids saw how much effort we put into them, pushing to make them professionals," says Gomez. "It was very tough, but I believe that this contributed to their success in the end. I think all of these events early in his life is the reason that he never stops fighting during a match."

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/DEUCE-Tennis/DEUCE-US-Open-2012/Juan-Monaco.aspx
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3246 on: September 30, 2012, 01:41 PM »

Good for Pico and didn't realise what a difficult start he had.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3247 on: September 30, 2012, 02:10 PM »

It's amazing how many tennis players have come from Tandil considering it's only a small town. It was Pico's first hardcourt title today - the win meant a lot to him.

Feel sorry for Benneteau though - now 0-7 in ATP finals. I guess for some players it's a mental battle getting over the finish line in any final. He fought hard though, and even had a break point chance in the last set but didn't manage to break.
[ Last edit by Katie September 30, 2012, 02:16 PM ] IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3248 on: October 01, 2012, 10:14 AM »

And Pico now in top 10 of the rankings - I think for the first time?   Congratulations to him.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3249 on: October 01, 2012, 10:23 AM »

"There are so many times that we only got one ball for practice," Monaco tells DEUCE. "And if we lost it, or the ball broke, then the training was over and we had to do physical conditioning. We all came from a small town and if you could see the club and how bad the condition of the courts was, you would not believe it.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/DEUCE-Tennis/DEUCE-US-Open-2012/Juan-Monaco.aspx
   Brilliant! Real Boys Own comic stuff that.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3250 on: October 01, 2012, 11:22 AM »

And Pico now in top 10 of the rankings - I think for the first time?   Congratulations to him.

He made it to the top ten for the first time in July - nice to see him back there again. Smile
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3251 on: October 01, 2012, 11:51 AM »

Some players have faced incredible adversity to become professional and claw up the rankings.

Andy will be pleased for his pal, piccccooooo. Smile
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3252 on: October 01, 2012, 12:50 PM »

He made it to the top ten for the first time in July - nice to see him back there again. Smile
ah I'd forgotten that - still it would be great if he could end the year in top 10,
IP Logged
scotjules
Satellite Level

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3253 on: October 01, 2012, 09:45 PM »

Just saw on the ATP homepage livescores that Cilic lost in Beijing.  Full story http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2012/10/40/Beijing-Monday-Copil-Upsets-Cilic.aspx bit of an upset to say the least as Copil is ranked 221!
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3254 on: October 01, 2012, 11:39 PM »

Just saw on the ATP homepage livescores that Cilic lost in Beijing.  Full story http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2012/10/40/Beijing-Monday-Copil-Upsets-Cilic.aspx bit of an upset to say the least as Copil is ranked 221!
Copil is a decent player but yes, that's a big shock. Cilic was defending 300 points here as well having reached the final last year. I can only deduce he was struggling with an injury or else was distracted for whatever reason.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 216 [217] 218 219 220 ... 313 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »