Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Tennis News 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 220 [221] 222 223 224 ... 313 Go Down Reply
Author

Tennis News

(Read 121394 times)
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3300 on: October 16, 2012, 04:36 PM »

Rafa doesn't do too well indoors, so not much point.
Reckon he'll start playing as early as possible in 2013, if he intends to compete at the AO.
If he doesn't, then he might not play until the exhibition against Delpotro in March.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3301 on: October 16, 2012, 04:56 PM »

I honestly believe he is going to have a struggle especially on the hard courts. If he continues to have problems with his knees. He must already have substantial damage to his tendons. I think I heard he has got problems with his patella in his right leg I think similar to Andy's. If he does come back I do not think he will play in too many matches. Perhaps he will just play on clay courts.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3302 on: October 16, 2012, 08:08 PM »

My person favourite matches this year, were the Olympic Final, teaching Raonic a lesson in humility at the US Open and the Shainghai semi. What about other folks?
Can't believe you didn't add the USO final to that list. Smile  That match was incredible and it took me two days to recover I was so drained.  That 4th set was like living through a nightmare because I shudder to think even now of the effect it would have had on Andy had he lost after being two sets up.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3303 on: October 16, 2012, 09:00 PM »

Can't believe you didn't add the USO final to that list. Smile  That match was incredible and it took me two days to recover I was so drained.  That 4th set was like living through a nightmare because I shudder to think even now of the effect it would have had on Andy had he lost after being two sets up

I didn't chose that one because it was so brutal on both of them. It wasn't an enjoyable match to watch (for me),  or I imagine to take part in. There was so much resting on the outcome for Mr M, and the way he looked so completely battered at the end. I don't doubt he thought it was worth it, but for me much as I relished the victory, I didn't enjoy the process of getting there. The Olympic Final on the other hand with that joyous bound across the court when he came down from his box, was pure gold as they say.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3304 on: October 16, 2012, 11:34 PM »

I didn't chose that one because it was so brutal on both of them. It wasn't an enjoyable match to watch (for me),  or I imagine to take part in. There was so much resting on the outcome for Mr M, and the way he looked so completely battered at the end. I don't doubt he thought it was worth it, but for me much as I relished the victory, I didn't enjoy the process of getting there. The Olympic Final on the other hand with that joyous bound across the court when he came down from his box, was pure gold as they say.
Yes, I can see where you're coming from.  I agree it was an ugly match to watch, and to be honest I felt physically ill by the 4th set.  I don't think Andy was as much battered by the end as simply overcome (as he himself said) by feelings of enormous relief that the burden of "76 years" had finally been lifted off his shoulders, which was why he just sank quietly to his knees instead of producing a show of joyful celebration - something he couldn't even bring himself do during the presentation ceremony even although he told reporters that he felt happy inside.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3305 on: October 16, 2012, 11:40 PM »

A nice audio only profile of Andy Smile

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3306 on: October 17, 2012, 12:03 AM »

Thanks for posting that, it's very interesting, but I think it should really be on the Murray Videos thread - http://www.murraysworld.com/forum/andy-murray/murray-videos/1830/
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3307 on: October 17, 2012, 09:37 AM »

No sure really, it's not really a video it's just a news article in audio format from a british radio station.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3308 on: October 17, 2012, 10:17 AM »

That was wonderful! Thank you for giving us the opportunity to hear it!
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3309 on: October 17, 2012, 10:17 AM »

Yes, I can see where you're coming from.  I agree it was an ugly match to watch, and to be honest I felt physically ill by the 4th set.  I don't think Andy was as much battered by the end as simply overcome (as he himself said) by feelings of enormous relief that the burden of "76 years" had finally been lifted off his shoulders, which was why he just sank quietly to his knees instead of producing a show of joyful celebration - something he couldn't even bring himself do during the presentation ceremony even although he told reporters that he felt happy inside.

I was thinking more of the physical signs. He was hobbling whilst he was waiting for the ceremony, and flinching whenever he moved. He looked in pain. I agree he was completely overcome. He had the same look he had after match point in the Olympic Final - the "what the hell have I done look?", with the "Am I imagining this look?".  I get confused by the reporters who said he wasn't showing emotion. He looked so relaxed and happy the following day. The repeated lapsing into an inane grin was a bit of a giveaway as to his joy as well. On one level he might have been uncomfortable with the publicity, but on another he looked like he was savouring every second. I loved the scenes in Central Park, when he was completely at one with all the requests to stand this way or that, hold the trophy above his head, kiss it or cuddle it. He really looked very happy at needing to indulge the press in such a manner. Given how knackered he was, and the lack of sleep it was fun to watch. He might not have articulated it in words, but his body language was eloquence itself.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3310 on: October 17, 2012, 10:28 AM »

Thank you very much for the recording. It was wonderful to hear.

Andy was just being himself at the USO.  I can imagine it was overwhelming to realise he had done it at last.
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3311 on: October 17, 2012, 10:55 AM »

Just wish he'd done a Scottish jig in the TV studio when that band was playing the 500 miles song!!
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3312 on: October 17, 2012, 02:33 PM »

Just wish he'd done a Scottish jig in the TV studio when that band was playing the 500 miles song!!

I would LOVE to see him dance!!!!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3313 on: October 17, 2012, 04:06 PM »

Can't believe you didn't add the USO final to that list. Smile  That match was incredible and it took me two days to recover I was so drained. 

Hi Aileen and all,

I agree with having been drained after the USO final. It was wonderful though, a night I wouldn't have missed for the world. I'll never forget it. I still don't quite know why my every instinct during the USO was telling me that it was Andy's time. Even when he was down a set and 5-1 to Cilic, even when he lost the two set lead to Djokovic in the final, something just told me he was going to be all right. I think that's why I was so drained to honest. I was scared to death my faith in him would jinx him lol.

My highlights of 2012, at least to date, and why:

1. The USO final, for sheer guts and bloodyminded will to win, this one tops everything.
2. The Olympic final, 6-2 6-1 6-4 on Centre Court against Federer!!!
3. The Olympic semi final, the roar when Andy won was incredible. Get rid of the Pimm's brigade, I want these crowds for Andy.
4. Mr. Raonic's lesson in humility at the USO, for obvious reasons.
5. Andy beating Berdych at the USO, purely because Andy won and Berdych didn't.
6. The semi at the AO against Djokovic. Not the outcome I would have wanted, but still a classic.
7. The third round match against Llodra at the AO. Never let it be said that modern tennis isn't entertaining. This one was, and played in such a lovely spirit.
8. The semi against Tsonga at Wimbledon. A moment of joyous history.
9. Shanghai semi against Federer. Straight sets! Someone just has to put the fifth game of the first set on to Youtube. I wasn't feeling well and it made me laugh! Three double faults!
10. The Dubai semi against Djokovic. Might seem an odd choice, but for me this one was one of the  first indications of how this year would be for Andy. For some reason this match told me that Andy could beat Djokovic on grass. Seeing as Dubai is on hard, your guess is as good as mine for how my mind works!!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3314 on: October 17, 2012, 04:15 PM »

I was thinking more of the physical signs. He was hobbling whilst he was waiting for the ceremony, and flinching whenever he moved. He looked in pain. I agree he was completely overcome. He had the same look he had after match point in the Olympic Final - the "what the hell have I done look?", with the "Am I imagining this look?".  I get confused by the reporters who said he wasn't showing emotion. He looked so relaxed and happy the following day. The repeated lapsing into an inane grin was a bit of a giveaway as to his joy as well. On one level he might have been uncomfortable with the publicity, but on another he looked like he was savouring every second. I loved the scenes in Central Park, when he was completely at one with all the requests to stand this way or that, hold the trophy above his head, kiss it or cuddle it. He really looked very happy at needing to indulge the press in such a manner. Given how knackered he was, and the lack of sleep it was fun to watch. He might not have articulated it in words, but his body language was eloquence itself.
He was in pain, so it was reported, because he'd had a toenail come off such was the ferocity of that match, but he was walking perfecty normally a few hours later.  I agree though that it was his reactions afterwards that were more of a pleasure to see.   I think he said he managed to get about 3 hours sleep in as many days.  It was only pure adrenaline that was keeping him going.
[ Last edit by Aileen October 17, 2012, 04:19 PM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 220 [221] 222 223 224 ... 313 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »