Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Fabio Fognini, Thursday, Estimated time - 1:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Tennis News 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 227 [228] 229 230 231 ... 313 Go Down Reply
Author

Tennis News

(Read 124047 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3405 on: October 31, 2012, 12:28 AM »

Nole's doing a live video chat now. Smile

http://www.ustream.tv/djokovicofficial
Unfortunately I tried it and was told "This channel is offline".  I can get the pics but not the sound.  Oh well - maybe they might still have it available tomorrow, or it could be posted on his website.

^He is adorably candid. Wish Andy would do this. Smile
Throwing in some French to further please his audience.
Andy spent two years in Barcelona and yet was unable to say even a few words in Spanish when he won the Valencia Open three years ago.  I'm not sure if he'd have the confidence to do it even now, because if you think about it it's only been recently that he's felt comfortable about addressing crowds in his native tongue.  Also Djoko lives in Monte Carlo so presumably speaks French on a regular basis.  Like Federer he's a bit of a linguist and speaks German and Italian as well as English.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3406 on: October 31, 2012, 01:45 AM »

Aileen.. it's offline because it was live at 7pm. I saw a bit of it. Nole was great, a real natural.
A big reason for his popularity is due to his interaction with his fans.

I actually think Andy would be good at this. He's a natural too when he's not in a formal environment, most people have no idea how funny he is. He'd probably enjoy it more than the oh-so-tedious press stuff he has to do, and he could get the doggies in the act too. Maggie is already a star in her own right. Very Happy
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3407 on: October 31, 2012, 02:02 AM »

Aileen.. it's offline because it was live at 7pm. I saw a bit of it. Nole was great, a real natural.
A big reason for his popularity is due to his interaction with his fans.

I actually think Andy would be good at this. He's a natural too when he's not in a formal environment, most people have no idea how funny he is. He'd probably enjoy it more than the oh-so-tedious press stuff he has to do, and he could get the doggies in the act too. Maggie is already a star in her own right. Very Happy
I had realised it was a live broadcast but had hoped that it might be like the BBC and ITV, where programmes are available to view on-line for seven days afterwards.

Maybe Andy will surprise us now with his new-found confidence and start engaging with the crowd like that.  All it needs is a few words and the crowd will love it!

The Andy 'n' Maggie show - that sounds good to me. lol 
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3408 on: October 31, 2012, 03:05 AM »

Bernard Tomic in trouble - again!  As this article is dated today it seems that having Roger Rasheed as his coach has by no means been settled.  Tomic really does need to get his act together now otherwise it's going to be a huge waste of talent.

http://www.news.com.au/top-stories/bernard-tomic-admits-he-has-a-lot-of-hurdles-to-clear-before-he-can-be-successful-again-on-atp-tour/story-e6frfkp9-1226507194798

IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3409 on: October 31, 2012, 02:29 PM »

I had realised it was a live broadcast but had hoped that it might be like the BBC and ITV, where programmes are available to view on-line for seven days afterwards.
The chat's available to watch on Nole's website Aileen:
http://novakdjokovic.com/en/news/events/great-reactions-after-nole4you-no-10-live-reply/

Tomic's not going to have Roger Rasheed as his coach - he's working with Tsonga full-time now. I can't help feeling that the Australian media need to give Tomic some space. He's young, he's made a few mistakes but he always seems to be under so much scrutiny over there which can't help.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3410 on: October 31, 2012, 05:09 PM »

Andy's humour is too dry and sarcastic for the mass market.
Very British.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3411 on: November 01, 2012, 03:45 PM »

Though Roger Rashid is Tsonga's coach
IP Logged
scotjules
Satellite Level

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3412 on: November 01, 2012, 10:34 PM »

This is maybe off topic for this thread (apologies if so - mods feel free to move) but does anyone else subscribe to any tennis podcasts?

I've been following The Tennis Podcast hosted by David Law and Catherine Whittaker since there was a link on Andy's Facebook after the USO. As it's a British presenting team there's usually a mention of Andy somewhere - and usually positive! Current and past episodes can be downloaded here:
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-tennis-podcast/id530971441

They have an interview each week and recent interviewees have included Ivan Lendl, Neil Harman and Goran Ivanisevic where he talked about his experience of both losing in slam finals and his 2001 Wimbledon win. I never really followed his career at the time so I found it very interesting.

Anyway back to the point of my post - do any of you have any tennis podcast recommendations?
IP Logged
scotjules
Satellite Level

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3413 on: November 01, 2012, 10:42 PM »

Many thanks for posting the link Katie for some reason I had assumed Nole was pronounced the same as Noel  Embarassed makes more sense now!

Enjoyed watching the chat I have a relative whose a linguist and really respect anyone who can converse well in their non-native language. I couldn't have chatted like that in another language even back when I was studying them in school!

IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3414 on: November 01, 2012, 11:45 PM »

Many thanks for posting the link Katie for some reason I had assumed Nole was pronounced the same as Noel  Embarassed makes more sense now!

Enjoyed watching the chat I have a relative whose a linguist and really respect anyone who can converse well in their non-native language. I couldn't have chatted like that in another language even back when I was studying them in school!
I used to think the same about Nole's name, I still tend to pronounce it in my head as 'Noel' though! He's really talented with the languages - I think in Serbia they're taught English from an early age which helps a lot, but he seems to be able to pick up other languages quickly too.

Thanks for the podcast link, sounds like an interesting show. Smile
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3415 on: November 02, 2012, 01:57 AM »

http://www.tennis.com/news/2012/11/bubka-jr-falls-out-window-hospitalized/39987/

Sergei Bubka Jr.fell from a third-floor apartment Thursday morning in Paris and sustained serious injuries, the French press is reporting. The longtime boyfriend of WTA No. 1 Victoria Azarenka and the son of a former Olympic gold medalist (pole vaulting), Bubka was rushed to the intensive care unit of Georges Pompidou hospital. He is said to have sustained multiple fractures, but is no longer in critical condition. Apparently Bubka, ranked No. 186, got locked in a bathroom while staying in his friend’s apartment and tried to climb out of the window to access another room.
[ Last edit by IonaRed November 02, 2012, 02:01 AM ] IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3416 on: November 02, 2012, 06:41 AM »

All children in Europe are taught English from a very young age.  My son's nieces were speaking English pretty well from the age of 4.  Some people have a very good ear for language and some do not but if you start them young they find it a lot easier.  It would be very difficult for British children to learn every language out there as the others all learn English which is, of course, the international language.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3417 on: November 02, 2012, 06:44 AM »

Shocking about Bubka.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3418 on: November 03, 2012, 07:53 AM »

OMG, hope Bubka recovers from this accident..
IP Logged
caroline
ATP Level

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3419 on: November 03, 2012, 12:28 PM »

Great write up in the Telegraph from Boris Becker about Andy and Novak,and the future of the mens game in general.He says the loss for Andy and Novak in Paris this week was to be expected as the PM and the WTF were so close together something had to give.So dont read to much into there early exits there.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 227 [228] 229 230 231 ... 313 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »