Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Matthias Bachinger, Thursday, Time TBA - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Tennis News 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 235 [236] 237 238 239 ... 313 Go Down Reply
Author

Tennis News

(Read 118930 times)
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3525 on: January 06, 2013, 04:34 AM »

3.3 million followers on twitter and 1.3 million 'likes' on her FB would suggest otherwise.

Our beloved Andy has a long way to go to catch up with those numbers.

Just saying..
He was referring to the use of the word 'fan' as opposed to 'fans'. Wink
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3526 on: January 06, 2013, 04:45 AM »

HaHaHa!
I must be slipping. Very Happy
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3527 on: January 06, 2013, 04:33 PM »

Janko Tipsarevic beats  Roberto Bautista Agut 3-6, 6-1, 6-3 to win the Chennai Open.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3528 on: January 06, 2013, 06:34 PM »

Was really hoping Agut could pull it out, great effort though. Just got unlucky.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3529 on: January 07, 2013, 09:55 AM »

Jerzy Janowicz just lost in the first round of Auckland to Brian Baker. He saved 15/17 break points and converted the two break points he had. After being 1-5 down in the third set, he went on a roll and managed to get the score back to 4-5 but Baker managed to serve it out the second time. Good match.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3530 on: January 07, 2013, 11:37 AM »

Sounds it. Janowicz is massively out of position in terms of ranking, wouldn't surprise me to see more results like this against guys ranked 30-60.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3531 on: January 07, 2013, 12:23 PM »

Didn't see the match, but was interested in the match up as these were two unusual stories last year. First match back for JJ since Paris, while BB lost to Dimitrov in Brisbane 1st round.

I remember one of JJ's Paris victims (Simon?) saying let's see how he gets on outdoors and whether he can still hit the lines. I see today he hit 11 aces (22 v Andy!) and 10 DFs. 

Will be watching with interest anyway.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3532 on: January 07, 2013, 12:40 PM »

Sounds it. Janowicz is massively out of position in terms of ranking, wouldn't surprise me to see more results like this against guys ranked 30-60.
Yeah I was thinking about this earlier - it really is such an unusual situation for a player to suddenly be boosted so many places in the rankings. I bet it'll take Janowicz a bit of adjusting to his new status. But at least he'll have lots of chances to get wins as he'll be able to get in the Masters draws without qualifying. Hope he can get a good draw at the AO - I do enjoy his style - very unusual to see a player who hits his second serves nearly as hard as his first! Nice variety in his game too.

Didn't see the match, but was interested in the match up as these were two unusual stories last year. First match back for JJ since Paris, while BB lost to Dimitrov in Brisbane 1st round.

I remember one of JJ's Paris victims (Simon?) saying let's see how he gets on outdoors and whether he can still hit the lines. I see today he hit 11 aces (22 v Andy!) and 10 DFs. 

Will be watching with interest anyway.
Today the conditions weren't great - very windy - so that may be why he didn't hit as many aces. He definitely seemed more error-prone that he was in Paris, so it could be that indoors suits his game more. Still very gutsy under pressure though - I like that about him.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3533 on: January 07, 2013, 12:57 PM »

Definitely a good player but had Andy finished him when he should have, he'd be about 500 points and 30 places worse off. That's not to discount his results after that, but there was a somewhat fluke element involved. No doubt a good player but not the 26th best player in the world, in my opinion at least. As you say though he should be able to pick up enough points here and there as he will often be seeded, and can now participate in any ATP tournament he likes without having to qualify. When Paris comes and goes (assuming he doesn't reach the final again.. not impossible I guess) he should still be well up on where he was before the tournament.

I do think he'll struggle outdoors though, at least comparitively to indoors.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3534 on: January 07, 2013, 07:56 PM »

I watched the Janowicz match, or the early stages of it anyway. It was extremely windy and the swirling of the wind meant that Janowicz was serving 25% or so lower of his normal speed.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3535 on: January 08, 2013, 11:45 AM »

I see that Dimitrov lost to Fognini 6-3, 6-1 in Sydney. I didn't see the match but from what I've read on MTF (not the best source I know...) it sounds like he didn't put in his best effort today, even walking back to his chair before some of the points were over. It has been extremely hot in Sydney today though, with temperatures over 40C, so perhaps this was a factor in his performance.

Hope he will be able to win a few rounds at the AO - he's never been beyond R2 of a slam before. He'll have to hope for a good draw though, being unseeded.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3536 on: January 09, 2013, 07:34 AM »

Ryan Harrison just took Isner out in straight sets, whilst Tomic beat Mayer (also in straights).

Great starts to the year for the young trio so far.

With Istomin also taking out Verdasco, Stepanek retiring against Benneteau and Simon pulling out with a neck pain, the draw's really opened up now too.

Harrison/Benneteau, Istomin/Anderson, Granollers/Seppi, Tomic/Nieminen.

Nieminen and Benneteau are both defending a lot here; the former having beaten the latter in the final here last year.

Also worth nothing that John Millman beat Tommy Robredo in straight sets before going down to Seppi in three. Been an impressive start to the season for him, one to watch out for maybe.

Also Ferrer continues to play in every single 250 possible (slight exaggeration but you get my drift) - the only top player to play both warm-up weeks. Just lost the 2nd set 2-6 to Yen-Hsun Lu.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3537 on: January 09, 2013, 08:56 AM »

Wew! This is coming to the tennis centre two miles from my house. Josh Goodall, Dan Evans, Olly Golding. Not bad:

http://www.itftennis.com/procircuit/tournaments/men's-tournament/info.aspx?tournamentid=1100028255
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3538 on: January 09, 2013, 12:46 PM »

You planning on going over to watch a couple of matches?

Maybe worth doing an article on. Those out there on people's experiences of these Futures normally make interesting reading.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3539 on: January 10, 2013, 11:15 AM »

Tomic's through to the semi-finals in Sydney with a three set win over Niemienen - impressive. Looking at the players left in the draw he's got a good chance of winning his first title here. Though I would also like to see Benneteau to finally win a title.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 235 [236] 237 238 239 ... 313 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »