Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?

MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Tennis News 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 243 244 245 [246] 247 248 249 ... 313 Go Down Reply
Author

Tennis News

(Read 125071 times)
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3675 on: February 16, 2013, 12:49 PM »

So, looking forward to the semis between Sharapova and Serena Williams in the Qatar Open. Gonna be interesting cuz if Serena wins, she becomes the World no.1 and if Sharapova wins, she still has a chance to get her hands on a diamond studded trophy...

My dad is gonna be there... (I asked him to take cotton for his ears) and he thinks he is gonna enjoy the match cuz according to him, it is 'Beauty vs Beast'!

So I think Williams is gonna win it in 3 sets, what do you guys feel?

She's guaranteed number 1 anyway - she gained the top ranking with her win yesterday. I also think she's going to win today - Sharapova has a terrible record against her. But Serena wasn't in good form yesterday - if Petra had kept her nerve she'd have won - so there's always a chance of an upset.

I agree about Fed's appearance fee - but 1 million euros seems to be standard fare for getting the top players to play 250s. There's always the danger of them turning up for the money and not taking the tournament seriously.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3676 on: February 16, 2013, 12:54 PM »

She's guaranteed number 1 anyway - she gained the top ranking with her win yesterday.

Hmm, I guess I got my facts wrong on that one Smile
Thanks for correcting me..
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3677 on: February 16, 2013, 12:58 PM »

Hmm, I guess I got my facts wrong on that one Smile
Thanks for correcting me..

No probs. Smile I watched her match yesterday and the commentators mentioned it then. Great achievement for her to get back to the top of the game after missing almost a year of tennis.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3678 on: February 16, 2013, 01:38 PM »

It might even be more than one million,  I just read he had received a 7 figure sum so assumed that 1 million Is the minimum. Let's take on board what he said about more funding going towards dope testing, maybe he should put his money where his mouth Is and do what Andy suggested, namely put some of his ridiculous appearance fee towards helping to fund it.
IP Logged
CoolDude
Futures Level

us open champion 2012

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3679 on: February 16, 2013, 06:03 PM »

So Fed was paid one million euros to play at this event
what? he was paid 1 million euros? thats roughly about £900,000 insane:O
IP Logged
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Let your racket do the talking

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3680 on: February 16, 2013, 08:15 PM »

http://nos.nl/artikel/474312-alleen-lijnrechter-wars-van-federer.html

In this article (in Dutch. I'm sorry!); they mention Federer  has not played tennis since the AO, he started in Rotterdam again, Difficult to believe he thinks he doesn't need to play for such a long time?

Th amount of 1.000.000 euro's is comnfirmed by the sponsor (ABNAMRO).
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3681 on: February 17, 2013, 04:30 AM »

So Fed was paid one million euros to play at this event, so the question now is did he tank on purpose took the money and ran? Whatever the reasons surely organizers of these events should stop throwing huge amounts of money his way from now on when he's starting to look like a player who can no longer guarantee them a final
I don't think he wasn't tanking because he made so many UEs, and I'm sure there are more respectable ways of tanking than this.  Also Benneteau turned in a very good performance and deserved his win.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3682 on: February 17, 2013, 05:25 PM »

Bennetaeu played really well against Smugfed. I cannot believe Smugfed got all that money by showing up to play in Rotterdam. He did not deserve it why should he get an extra incentive to go and play there whilst other players probably have to qualify to get into the tournament. He appears to be very greedy or maybe he knows that he will not be playing much longer. I think it is immoral to pay him all that money just to turn up. He was rubbish so many UE's Benneteau deserves his prize money.
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

The great British player will be back!

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3683 on: February 17, 2013, 05:50 PM »

Victoria Azarenka finally breaks Serena's enigma code with an amazing three set victory against the new World No. 1.
IP Logged
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Let your racket do the talking

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3684 on: February 17, 2013, 07:11 PM »

It's a shame!!!!! Krajicek about next year tournament Rotterdam:
(...) Of course it was a pity that federer on Friday in the quarterfinals was eliminated, but he was in these two years to twelve of the fourteen days of the tournament.
For next year I first see who the top 3 Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic is available. "

http://www.abnamrowtt.nl/nieuws-en-media/laatste-nieuws/40e-editie/bezoekersrecord-op-40e-editie-abn-amro-world-tennis-tournament

Top three???? Andy is third!!!!
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3685 on: February 17, 2013, 08:46 PM »

Good week for Del Potro this, never looked in danger of losing any of his matches and looked quite good. Great performance against Dimitrov.

Good weeks for Dimitrov and Benneteau as well.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3686 on: February 17, 2013, 08:55 PM »

It might even be more than one million,  I just read he had received a 7 figure sum so assumed that 1 million Is the minimum. Let's take on board what he said about more funding going towards dope testing, maybe he should put his money where his mouth Is and do what Andy suggested, namely put some of his ridiculous appearance fee towards helping to fund it.
Doesn't exactly endear you to Federer the human being.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3687 on: February 17, 2013, 09:32 PM »

Doesn't exactly endear you to Federer the human being.

Like the $2 million per match for 6 matches in South America in December. Still haven't got over that. Wonder what the ticket prices were.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3688 on: February 18, 2013, 08:09 AM »

Victoria Azarenka finally breaks Serena's enigma code with an amazing three set victory against the new World No. 1.

Loved the match...I thought Serena was gonna take it in the end but Azarenka managed to finish it off in style. Smile
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3689 on: February 18, 2013, 08:45 PM »

It's a shame!!!!! Krajicek about next year tournament Rotterdam:
(...) Of course it was a pity that federer on Friday in the quarterfinals was eliminated, but he was in these two years to twelve of the fourteen days of the tournament.
For next year I first see who the top 3 Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic is available. "

http://www.abnamrowtt.nl/nieuws-en-media/laatste-nieuws/40e-editie/bezoekersrecord-op-40e-editie-abn-amro-world-tennis-tournament

Top three???? Andy is third!!!!
Sadly it's a common mistake at the moment because Nadal permanently being one of the top three seems to be firmly engraved in a lot of people's minds.

Good week for Del Potro this, never looked in danger of losing any of his matches and looked quite good. Great performance against Dimitrov.
I really do hope that Delpo gets back into the top five.  He's only 75 points behind Berdych and 1,340 behind Nadal, so the clay-court season could be a crucial factor here.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 243 244 245 [246] 247 248 249 ... 313 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »