Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Tennis News 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 255 [256] 257 258 259 ... 308 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Tennis News  (Read 109559 times)
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3825 on: February 27, 2013, 12:52 AM »

So weird! Nielsen ranked 20 in doubles, but concentrating on singles - ranked 491.

In Dubai Tomic retired with "general illness" at 3-2.  Tipsy out in straight sets in 1st match, 3rd tournament in a row.

Pleased to see Berankis got into Delray Beach main draw as lucky loser. Has beaten Bjorn Phau and plays Jack Sock in 2nd round.
Isn't it just! I follow Soto Tennis on twitter (who JWH trains with) and they've been tweeting a bit recently about an interview with Nielsen and a meal he had with JWH and a few other Soto members. I don't know if Freddie is from the same academy or just mates there or what, but I assume this is just a one-off. Good experience for Josh though!

I always think it's a bit farcical when a lucky loser ends up winning a few matches in the main draw. Goffin got knocked out in qualifying in Roland Garros last year, then made the 4th round! But it's part and parcel of tennis I guess. Good to see Berankis and Sock win their R1 matches though (although Sock played Ebden, another player whom I like).

I have a feeling Tipsy is going to fall away a bit this year.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3826 on: February 27, 2013, 12:01 PM »

Have been watching the Berdych match. He has been warned by the umpire about his slow play when serving. He is such a pain in the a--e standing there argueing with the umpire she should have deducted a point. Berdych has such an unpleasant personality (did I say personality) sorry he has none. Should start calling him Birds--t he is terrible.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3827 on: February 27, 2013, 01:22 PM »

Does anyone know the email address for Sky sports?  They read out an email earlier from an aggrieved Delpo fan objecting to the commies discussion yesterday of Delpo's 'lack of personality' - fair enough - but the emailer then turned it into a vitriolic character assassination of Andy.  The poor guy's not even playing in the event!
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3828 on: February 27, 2013, 01:24 PM »

But I am glad Berdych won. I am looking forward to an encounter between him and Federer. Del Potro is also cruising at the moment.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

You mesmerize me, Andy

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3829 on: February 27, 2013, 02:06 PM »

But I am glad Berdych won. I am looking forward to an encounter between him and Federer.

Yup, hope he can challenge Fed and maybe win it. pray
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3830 on: February 27, 2013, 04:22 PM »

Has anyone else noticed how many retirements there have been so far this year?  What the rest of the season will be like goodness knows!
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3831 on: February 27, 2013, 04:40 PM »

Does anyone know the email address for Sky sports?  They read out an email earlier from an aggrieved Delpo fan objecting to the commies discussion yesterday of Delpo's 'lack of personality' - fair enough - but the emailer then turned it into a vitriolic character assassination of Andy.  The poor guy's not even playing in the event!

It's [email protected] - I was listening when they read out that email. I agree with the positive things she was saying about Delpo but there was no need to turn on Andy like that. Kind of ruined her point in doing so.

Has anyone else noticed how many retirements there have been so far this year?  What the rest of the season will be like goodness knows!

Yes I noticed that too - just this week there's been a few, plus some withdrawals before the tournaments were due to begin. Nishikori retired last night - hope he's ok, he always seems to be injured.
IP Logged
CoolDude
Futures Level

us open champion 2012

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3832 on: February 27, 2013, 06:33 PM »

Yes I noticed that too - just this week there's been a few, plus some withdrawals before the tournaments were due to begin. Nishikori retired last night - hope he's ok, he always seems to be injured.

Its probably due to his play style, crazy shots :P. if he had not had so many injuries he would be in top 10 already, so far he has had 2 this year with hopefully no more to come.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3833 on: February 27, 2013, 06:53 PM »

Isn't Tipsy also injured?
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3834 on: February 27, 2013, 07:07 PM »

Its probably due to his play style, crazy shots :P. if he had not had so many injuries he would be in top 10 already, so far he has had 2 this year with hopefully no more to come.

It would be great if he could enter the top 10 - he's definitely got the talent to be there. I really enjoy watching him play, but he seems to only be able to play well for a time before he gets injured - must be frustrating for him.

I think he is - not sure if it's the foot injury which saw him retire from the AO or something new.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3835 on: February 27, 2013, 09:05 PM »

Don't think so. He retired from AO but has played three tournaments since then - Montpelier, Marseille and Dubai - losing in his first match at each.

He has posted this on facebook: Hard period for my career ..Injury,Davis Cup,3 first rounds in a row...Not feeling particularly good.I will search for consolation in endless hours of practice and hope that Indian Wells and Miami go better.A big "thanks"to some of you who,are giving me your love and support,cause now I really,really need it.

I had the misfortune of seeing him at the 02 last year when he lost 0-6 4-6 to Del Potro. It was painful to watch.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3836 on: February 27, 2013, 09:39 PM »

I've noticed it too.  So much for the extended off-season, which quite a few top players used as an opportunity to further fill their coffers by playing exhos anyway - and that after complaining about the length of the Tour.  I know exhos are a bit different, but if they want to give their bodies the rest and recovery they said they wanted, then it doesn't make sense.

Don't think so. He retired from AO but has played three tournaments since then - Montpelier, Marseille and Dubai - losing in his first match at each.

He has posted this on facebook: Hard period for my career ..Injury,Davis Cup,3 first rounds in a row...Not feeling particularly good.I will search for consolation in endless hours of practice and hope that Indian Wells and Miami go better.A big "thanks"to some of you who,are giving me your love and support,cause now I really,really need it.

I had the misfortune of seeing him at the 02 last year when he lost 0-6 4-6 to Del Potro. It was painful to watch.
I feel really sorry for Tipsy, and he's one of my fave players, so I'm sending him my love too.  Nishi is another of my faves, so I hope he gets fit for IW.  I wonder if the knee problem that started before the AO is troubling him again?
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3837 on: February 27, 2013, 10:21 PM »

With regards to retirements, makes me kind of glad Andy is having an extended break from playing.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3838 on: February 27, 2013, 10:22 PM »

Aw he sounds really down - must be tough losing multiple first rounds. He pulled out of the April DC matches yesterday - the tennis.com article about that says that he is battling injuries  so sounds like he does have physical problems at the moment.

I feel really sorry for Tipsy, and he's one of my fave players, so I'm sending him my love too.  Nishi is another of my faves, so I hope he gets fit for IW.  I wonder if the knee problem that started before the AO is troubling him again?

It's a back injury that Kei got during the Memphis final apparently - I also hope he can be fit for IW. He lost his first match there last year so could make up some good ranking points if he does play.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3839 on: February 27, 2013, 11:59 PM »

It's a back injury that Kei got during the Memphis final apparently - I also hope he can be fit for IW. He lost his first match there last year so could make up some good ranking points if he does play.
  As indeed do you, Aileen. Smile Good Luck!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 255 [256] 257 258 259 ... 308 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »