Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Tennis News 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 254 255 256 [257] 258 259 260 ... 313 Go Down Reply
Author

Tennis News

(Read 117133 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3840 on: February 28, 2013, 12:54 AM »

It's a back injury that Kei got during the Memphis final apparently - I also hope he can be fit for IW. He lost his first match there last year so could make up some good ranking points if he does play.
I wonder if it's because he's trying so hard to play like a Westerner that he gets so many injuries?  The Japanese are naturally small and quite slim, so maybe his body structure can't cope too well with the demands made on it?  Certainly when I see him on a tennis court I feel that he should really be on a badminton one because some of his movements look more badminton than tennis.

IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3841 on: February 28, 2013, 09:40 AM »

I wonder if it's because he's trying so hard to play like a Westerner that he gets so many injuries?  The Japanese are naturally small and quite slim, so maybe his body structure can't cope too well with the demands made on it?  Certainly when I see him on a tennis court I feel that he should really be on a badminton one because some of his movements look more badminton than tennis.

Yes I've thought the same about his body type before - he definitely seems a lot slimmer and less muscular than most of the top guys. It probably helps his agility though as he's extremely quick and flexible but may make him more prone to injury at the same time.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3842 on: February 28, 2013, 12:27 PM »

Yes I've thought the same about his body type before - he definitely seems a lot slimmer and less muscular than most of the top guys. It probably helps his agility though as he's extremely quick and flexible but may make him more prone to injury at the same time.
Hasn't hurt Novak. Shrug

Such a shame for Kei. One of my favourite players.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3843 on: February 28, 2013, 04:22 PM »

Kei is just injury prone. The Tennis Space (I think it was) did a piece after Memphis about why he shouldn't play Delray. Lo and behold, the next day he retires from his match.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3844 on: February 28, 2013, 04:24 PM »

Isn't it just! I follow Soto Tennis on twitter (who JWH trains with) and they've been tweeting a bit recently about an interview with Nielsen and a meal he had with JWH and a few other Soto members. I don't know if Freddie is from the same academy or just mates there or what, but I assume this is just a one-off. Good experience for Josh though!

Looks like Nielsen's singles career is going well this week - he's through to the SF in Cardiff Futures!  Looks like he might play Ed Corrie in the final.

I think it's hilarious that the Wimbledon doubles champion and JWH are ranked 947 in the doubles, and seeded 2nd. He has tweeted that he'll be at IW and Miami though, so I presume he has a more experienced partner there!

If he wants to play singles though, presumably he has to play Futures events until he gets his ranking up?
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3845 on: February 28, 2013, 04:33 PM »

Looks like Nielsen's singles career is going well this week - he's through to the SF in Cardiff Futures!  Looks like he might play Ed Corrie in the final.

I think it's hilarious that the Wimbledon doubles champion and JWH are ranked 947 in the doubles, and seeded 2nd. He has tweeted that he'll be at IW and Miami though, so I presume he has a more experienced partner there!

If he wants to play singles though, presumably he has to play Futures events until he gets his ranking up?

I only noticed he's playing singles after making that post. Could be he's doing it for Singles (and teaming up with Josh because they both train at the Soto academy), could be just a one-off whilst he's in the UK. Not sure.

Corrie's had a fantastic 2012 so far. 3rd best British player so far, better than Baker who hasn't won a match outside of the Aussie Open. Got to fancy Neilsen to win this event though.

He's been playing Challenger and ATP qualifying mostly, perhaps to try and balance his doubles career as well so he doesn't fall away completely. He's clearly far better than his ranking, but all of his wins over higher ranked players mean nothing in qualifying unless he either qualifies, or reaches the FQR of an ATP event.

On the subject of British players, Goodall has had a torrid year. He was talking about all the fitness work he put in over the pre-season in his blog but had a back injury I think. Whether he's still feeling the effects of that or is just low on confidence (possibly both), who knows. Played several GB futures this year, top seed in every one, yet won just 16 ranking points (a final defeat to Willis and semi to Smethurst, if I recall).
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3846 on: February 28, 2013, 08:49 PM »

Federer destroyed Davydenko 2 & 2. But the stage has been set. So it's now Delpo vs Nole and Federer vs Berdych. Ho hum. 

Querrey vs Gulbis is turning out to be a better match. Querrey lost the first but up a break in the 2nd.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3847 on: February 28, 2013, 09:25 PM »

Querrey is cruising in the 3rd 4-0. And here Gulbis wants to win something big. You can always start with something small.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3848 on: March 01, 2013, 02:02 AM »

Wow, Gulbis came back to win it 7-4 in the tie-break. What a comeback.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3849 on: March 01, 2013, 07:21 AM »

Choke big time from Q Think
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3850 on: March 01, 2013, 11:50 AM »

I only noticed he's playing singles after making that post. Could be he's doing it for Singles (and teaming up with Josh because they both train at the Soto academy), could be just a one-off whilst he's in the UK. Not sure.

Corrie's had a fantastic 2012 so far. 3rd best British player so far, better than Baker who hasn't won a match outside of the Aussie Open. Got to fancy Neilsen to win this event though.

A Corrie (4) v Nielsen (8) final it is then. How many ranking points is it for a Futures title/final?  In the doubles SF Nielsen & JWH were beaten by Corrie & Neal Skupski.

Elsewhere, names I learnt from the Australian season, young Kyrgios is doing well (SF singles, F doubles in Sydney challenger), Berankis through to Delray Beach SF.

Sadly Fleming and Peers lost 2-6 6-3 7-10 to Blake and Sock in Delray Beach - Colin and Ross won here last year.

IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3851 on: March 01, 2013, 12:23 PM »

18 for winning it, 10 for the final.

Four successive finals for Corrie in GB futures now. Won 2, lost 1. Picked up 56 points, including this week so far.

Kyrgios is a huge talent. Two successive Challenger Semis, although he hasn't faced anyone inside the top 200 yet. Will shoot above Edmund in the rankings on Monday to become the highest ranked of that generation.

Good to see Berankis doing well... after losing in qualifying.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3852 on: March 01, 2013, 01:31 PM »

Choke big time from Q Think

Big choke from Querrey no doubt but it's a bit strange. I am sure Gulbis played well too to make that sort of come back. Last time I checked, Querrey was 4-3 and was about to go up to 5-3. I take it he got broken again there.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3853 on: March 01, 2013, 05:45 PM »

So Berdych beats Federer,sets up a final with Nole tomorrow...I gotta say,it was a strange feeling actually wanting Berdych to win something lol!
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3854 on: March 01, 2013, 05:58 PM »

I cannot believe that I was actually willing him to win.  I noticed there was no swearing by Smugfed.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 254 255 256 [257] 258 259 260 ... 313 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »