Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Tennis News 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 260 261 262 [263] 264 265 266 ... 307 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Tennis News  (Read 108460 times)
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3930 on: March 16, 2013, 10:30 PM »

Ross Hutchins is in the studio this evening with Marcus and co for the semi finals coverage. He looks like he has lost some weight, but given the treatment he is having he doesn't look too bad. I don't know if they asked how he is because I switched on during Nadal/Berdych.

On another note, after Nadal's semi it was interesting to hear Marcus put the point about the courts suiting Nadal and his staying with Larry Ellison to Peter Fleming. It was funny to see Fleming looking dismayed by the question and trying to dismiss it. Call me unkind and cynical if you like, but for once I think Marcus might have a tiny point, just a tiny one.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3931 on: March 17, 2013, 05:26 PM »

^^ thanks teejay. Ross has tweeted he'll be on Sky sports again tonight. He was at a Royal Marsden fund raising event today

And they’re off! @RoscoHutchins cuts the ribbons and the first group of Marsden March walkers leaves Chelsea.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3932 on: March 17, 2013, 06:21 PM »

What a gr8 pic.Thanx Smile
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3933 on: March 17, 2013, 06:24 PM »

Good riddance !!!

Useless, money-grubbing to$$er. And he snogged my wife.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3934 on: March 17, 2013, 06:26 PM »

Isn't that what he was supposed to do !

Also, it's nothing that HE's achieved. Murray (Spain) and Watson (Bolletieri) were produced outside of the LTA, while Robson was merely on the fringes of it, and spent her key years at the Mouratoglou Academy.
IP Logged
Connor
World No 1

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3935 on: March 17, 2013, 06:55 PM »

Redfoo is going to be playing the US National Play-Offs in a bid to qualify for the US Open singles and mixed doubles events. Wow.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3936 on: March 18, 2013, 01:02 AM »

^^ thanks teejay. Ross has tweeted he'll be on Sky sports again tonight. He was at a Royal Marsden fund raising event today

And they’re off! @RoscoHutchins cuts the ribbons and the first group of Marsden March walkers leaves Chelsea.

That's great to see, and at least he still seems to have kept his hair, so far anyway.  I have heard though that chemo isn't quite as radical as it used to be beause there are now drugs to counteract some of the less pleasant side-effects.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3937 on: March 18, 2013, 11:29 AM »

That's great to see, and at least he still seems to have kept his hair, so far anyway.  I have heard though that chemo isn't quite as radical as it used to be beause there are now drugs to counteract some of the less pleasant side-effects.

There is a cap that people having chemo can use to try to save their hair too. It's literally a cold cap, it works, as I understand it, by freezing the hair follicles, which saves them from the worst effects of the chemo. It doesn't work for everyone though, and can, apparently, be unpleasant in itself, because it is so cold on the head.

Chemo is also a very personal thing from one person to another. Some have it and experience awful side effects. Others have it and experience relatively few issues. It depends on the type of chemo it is and how strong it is.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3938 on: March 18, 2013, 11:47 AM »

From an article yesterday:

Court ace Ross determined to raise funds as he battles against cancer

.......Meanwhile, away from the public gaze, Hutchins has been keeping himself busy with this event during his recovery.

He said: “It’s very important to keep busy and I also wanted to give back to Royal Marsden. That’s what I’m doing this for. “I needed something to replace tennis in my life that involved people in the tennis world.”

Having completed two out of six chemotherapy cycles, side effects have included headaches, fatigue and aching muscles, but Hutchins thinks he got off lightly.

He said: “I am very fortunate that it hasn’t been as bad as I’ve heard it can be. It maybe helps that I was in decent shape beforehand so I can maybe handle the drugs a bit better.”

To donate to Rally Against Cancer, go to justgiving.com/ralleighagainstcancer2013.

more at http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/sport/10293477.Wimbledon_ace_Hutchins_serves_up_tennis_extravaganza_for_charity/
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3939 on: March 18, 2013, 03:42 PM »

thumb up  Donation sent.  Just a wee correction though - the website is http://www.justgiving.com/rallyagainstcancer2013 (not ralleigh)

There is a cap that people having chemo can use to try to save their hair too. It's literally a cold cap, it works, as I understand it, by freezing the hair follicles, which saves them from the worst effects of the chemo. It doesn't work for everyone though, and can, apparently, be unpleasant in itself, because it is so cold on the head.

Chemo is also a very personal thing from one person to another. Some have it and experience awful side effects. Others have it and experience relatively few issues. It depends on the type of chemo it is and how strong it is.
Thanks for the info TJ.  I'm not much up on this matter so that's useful to know.  Perhaps though, as Ross says in the article, being very fit to begin with might also have contributed to the fact that he's had relatively few problems with his chemo.
[ Last edit by Aileen March 18, 2013, 03:52 PM ] IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3940 on: March 18, 2013, 04:23 PM »

thumb up  Donation sent.  Just a wee correction though - the website is http://www.justgiving.com/rallyagainstcancer2013 (not ralleigh)

Thanks for the info TJ.  I'm not much up on this matter so that's useful to know.  Perhaps though, as Ross says in the article, being very fit to begin with might also have contributed to the fact that he's had relatively few problems with his chemo.

My pleasure. I don't know a great deal about it, I just know a few things from finding out about it when my niece was going through treatment.

I'm sure being fit to start with does help. I'm sure people who are otherwise fit cope with how tough the treatment can be because they, in a sense, have a stronger foundation to begin with. I'm sure, especially in Ross's case, being fit to begin with must help him to remain so positive. That's what impresses me so much about him to be honest. Never once, when he has talked about it, has he come across as feeling sorry for himself or anything like that. I'm sure he has his bad days, but he always seems so positive and upbeat.
IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3941 on: March 18, 2013, 04:30 PM »

It says on the tennic channel that rafa ,gulblis and baggy are not going to miami.Dropping like flies.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3942 on: March 18, 2013, 08:01 PM »

My pleasure. I don't know a great deal about it, I just know a few things from finding out about it when my niece was going through treatment.

I'm sure being fit to start with does help. I'm sure people who are otherwise fit cope with how tough the treatment can be because they, in a sense, have a stronger foundation to begin with. I'm sure, especially in Ross's case, being fit to begin with must help him to remain so positive. That's what impresses me so much about him to be honest. Never once, when he has talked about it, has he come across as feeling sorry for himself or anything like that. I'm sure he has his bad days, but he always seems so positive and upbeat.
I'm a strong believer in mind over matter, TJ - if only I could always practise it!  But research has proven time and again that people who have a positive attitude towards illness, and life in general, are more likely to make good recoveries than the moaning minnies.  Also Ross has a definite objective in his sights, and that must help him too.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3943 on: March 19, 2013, 07:02 PM »

I'm a strong believer in mind over matter, TJ - if only I could always practise it!  But research has proven time and again that people who have a positive attitude towards illness, and life in general, are more likely to make good recoveries than the moaning minnies.  Also Ross has a definite objective in his sights, and that must help him too.

Indeed. There are all sorts of research going on re: positive thinking. And more and more they are coming up with the conclusion that mind is indeed a very powerful tool that can alter one's reality. This is especially useful in situations like illnesses and other circumstances, where people feel stuck and can’t seem to get out of it. Apparently a study showed, 70% of our thoughts are negative and redundant. This means, we think about the same thought again and again knowing fully well it’s negative. Despite that, we think about this same thought a few hundred times a day until we exhaust ourselves.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3944 on: March 20, 2013, 11:42 AM »

Report: Men's final going to Sunday

After a year of closed-door meetings with tennis players seeking a greater say in the sport and a larger slice of Grand Slam revenues, the U.S. Open is ready to make big changes.

New York's Grand Slam tournament will increase its annual prize money to $50 million by 2017 -- roughly double what it was last year -- and permanently schedule the men's semifinals on Friday and men's final on Sunday as of 2015, The Associated Press has learned.

Full story here: http://espn.go.com/tennis/story/_/id/9073145/report-us-open-move-men-final-sunday-prize-money-future
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 260 261 262 [263] 264 265 266 ... 307 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »