Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Tennis News 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 265 [266] 267 268 269 ... 313 Go Down Reply
Author

Tennis News

(Read 119962 times)
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3975 on: April 03, 2013, 09:21 AM »

I wouldn't want to hand any advantage to the big servers but having watched the highlights of Andy v Troicki at MC last year I enjoy that type of tennis much more than Miami.    I was chennis.   Love it.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3976 on: April 03, 2013, 01:19 PM »

What a load of shite from Simon Reed. How do these people get into these positions of power to spout crap?
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3977 on: April 03, 2013, 04:20 PM »

Is elite tennis now just a case of last man standing?  [Eurosport, 2 April]
By Simon Reed

Tennis has become steadily more gladiatorial and it is losing a lot of quality because of the ‘last man standing’ nature of the matches at the highest level.

I haven't got time to read the whole piece, but the bit that jumped out at me was Reed calling himself a Murray fan. Right, of course he is. Not.

The other thing is that if he is so unhappy about the game at the moment could he not just go away and leave commentating to those who do a half decent job of it?
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3978 on: April 03, 2013, 04:48 PM »

Heather Watson has glandular fever Frown

Heather Watson – on the road to recovery from Glandular Fever

Heather Watson has been ordered to rest and recover after doctors diagnosed that the British No.1 has been suffering from Glandular Fever.

Blood tests in Miami revealed traces of the virus and doctors have indicated that Heather is at the tail-end of the fever, although there’s no news yet of how long a full recovery might take.

Heather said of the illness: "I had to do some blood tests after Miami and the results have shown that I have traces of Glandular Fever (mono) in my system.

There is no prescription for this other than complete rest but the good news is that the doctors have told me I am at the tail end of the fever. This means I have been trying to compete through the symptoms for some time.

"I have been struggling with both training and playing matches and felt so tired and exhausted for months but now that the doctors have found the cause of this, it explains everything that has been happening to me physically and mentally. I am actually relieved to know what is wrong so that I can get myself on the mend.

"I hope to recover as soon as possible by resting my body and getting lots of sleep. I already feel better from being at home for a week, and am looking forward to getting back on Tour soon."

Iain Bates, LTA Head of Women’s Tennis, said: "First of all, get well soon, Heather, from the whole team. We all know she’ll bounce back better than ever. Heather’s focus will be on her recovery, and we will do whatever we can to support Heather and help that process."

http://www.lta.org.uk/News/2013/April/2013-04-02/Heather-Watson--on-the-road-to-recovery-from-Glandular-Fever/
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3979 on: April 03, 2013, 04:55 PM »

Sorry to hear about Heather's glandular fever. Frown I really hope that the type she has is mild, like Fed's, and not like Ancic and Soderling's.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3980 on: April 03, 2013, 05:07 PM »

I hope so too Katie.  I'm so sorry to hear about this, especially as her career was really beginning to take off. 
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3981 on: April 03, 2013, 10:10 PM »

That's a shame about Heather. Hopefully she'll recover quickly. She's young and fit.
I think the long-term effects affect men more than women, but not really sure.

I heard/read somewhere Robin Soderling has been training for the past 2 months. I'd love to see him back on the court again.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3982 on: April 04, 2013, 12:21 AM »

That's a shame about Heather. Hopefully she'll recover quickly. She's young and fit.
I think the long-term effects affect men more than women, but not really sure.

I heard/read somewhere Robin Soderling has been training for the past 2 months. I'd love to see him back on the court again.
He's started training before and then been forced to give up because, as he said in an interview, he only has to overdo things just once and it's back to square one.  Also it seems that he now has an undisclosed thyroid problem for which he's being treated and which is "improving".  From an ESPN report dated 26/11/12 -

"In the past couple of months, I had my best weeks and days, which gives me the hope, but I get setbacks and feel worse again," Soderling said. "Overall, it's getting better, but I'm not as desperate to come back anymore tomorrow. I will give it a shot, of course, but I learned to live with the thought that maybe it will not be possible. Whatever happens, I will feel I did all I could."

Sadly his official website has remained dormant since August 2011.

Mono unfortunately tends to be most common in the age group 15-24, and affects as many women as it does men, but I can't find anything that says that men suffer more from the long-term effects than women, just the fact that recovery depends on the seriousness of the virus initially and the way the body's immune system fights it off.  Fortunately with Heather, as it was with Federer, the worst symptom seems to have been constant feelings of fatigue.  Soderling on the other hand experienced flu-like symptoms and often vomited after matches.
[ Last edit by Aileen April 04, 2013, 12:25 AM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3983 on: April 04, 2013, 12:39 AM »

Shot Clock Discussed By ATP Players  [10sBalls.com, 2 April]

(Well Messrs Murray & Haas, to be precise, with Brad Gilbert throwing in his tuppence-worth)

Installing on-court shot clocks to help the players know when they are about to go over the 25-second time violation rule may not be in the sports' near future, but it’s not out of the question entirely if an affordable solution can be found.

But some ATP players are talking up the idea.

“I think it would help just because, as a player, when you’re playing in a tiebreak like that at the end of the match, I’m not thinking about how long I’m taking between the points,” Andy Murray said. “If you have the clock there on the court, the crowd can see it, the players can see it. Everyone knows whether someone is going over or not and not just the umpire. Because, you can ask the umpire how long you took after a point, and often they don’t actually know exactly how long it was. So I think if there was a clock on the court, then that would help the players to concentrate better.”

Former player and coach Brad Gilbert has encouraged it, as has Tommy Haas, 34, who has seen a number of changes proposed for the tour over the years.

“If I play a 15-20 shot rally, I don’t know where I am for 5 to 10 seconds, so if I can have a shot clock that shows me I have 4 seconds left to get to line to serve, then it’s much easier. So I am trying to encourage them to put a shot clock in place not to distract the players, but so I have a feeling how much time I have left.”

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/da5gB?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=tennis
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3984 on: April 04, 2013, 07:28 AM »

Oh my word, a shot clock on court wouldn't last two minutes. Umpires can't control the crowds now. Imagine a scenario where the crowd has taken against a player and starts counting down every serve. lmao
The French crowd is extremely partisan, remember them booing Andy as he came onto court? They'd probably start counting from 1  shocking
 They've got the 25 second rule and all you need is sensible umpiring. Gasquet, receiving a warning after they'd played a 30 stroke rally, was plain daft.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3985 on: April 04, 2013, 11:11 AM »

There's been a change in the GB Davis Cup team for their Europe/Africa Zone Group I 2nd Round tie v Russia: Dan Evans is replacing Jamie Baker
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3986 on: April 04, 2013, 12:32 PM »

There's been a change in the GB Davis Cup team for their Europe/Africa Zone Group I 2nd Round tie v Russia: Dan Evans is replacing Jamie Baker

That's interesting. I wonder if Jamie B is injured. I see Neil Harman says "Going with player who has a sense of Davis Cup occasion and rises to it. Plays game differently".

IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3987 on: April 04, 2013, 02:42 PM »

According to this, Soderling has been in training for the past 2 months:

http://tenisbrasil.uol.com.br/noticias/19094/Soderling-treina-e-considera-enfim-um-retorno/

Soderling will try to ensure that the return to the court

30/03/2013
Stockholm (Sweden) - Away from the circuit since July 2011 due to mononucleosis, Swede Robin Soderling finally able to train with greater frequency and with that first considers the possibility of resuming his career. The information was published by the website Everyday Italian, who spoke with former number 4 ranking.

"Overall, I feel better, but I do not despair of returning as soon as possible," said the Swede. "I'll try, of course, but during that time I learned to live with the idea that it may not be possible to resume my career. Whatever happens, at least I'll make sure I tried everything I could" .

Finalist twice consecutive Roland Garros in 2009 and 2010, Soderling remains the only player to have defeated Spaniard Rafael Nadal at the French Open. His drama began shortly after winning the ATP Bastad. Mononucleosis is an infection that drastically reduces the physical energy, which is disastrous for a competitive athlete.

Soderling has trained regularly in the last two months and says he's getting to play more consistently, although some feel relapse. He reveals that the birth of his daughter, months ago, gave a different perspective of life itself: "For once I am no longer in the foreground.'s A strange feeling, but very enjoyable. Had never thought of anything but tennis, exercising, results. "
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3988 on: April 04, 2013, 04:01 PM »

That sounds promising about Soderling, thanks for the info. Smile It would be great if he can return - it was such a shame that the mono happened when it did, just when he was at the peak of his career.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Tennis News « Reply #3989 on: April 04, 2013, 07:00 PM »

Can't say I liked Soderling but still I wouldn't wish such an end to his career on him and it sounds like illness + a family might have mellowed him.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 265 [266] 267 268 269 ... 313 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »