Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Tennis News 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 267 [268] 269 270 271 ... 308 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Tennis News  (Read 108989 times)
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4005 on: April 25, 2013, 12:47 PM »

Jonathan Overend is quitting at the BBC.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4006 on: April 25, 2013, 12:51 PM »

Sky is it?
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4007 on: April 25, 2013, 03:59 PM »

Andrey Golubev lost to a 19yo Italian in the 1st round of a Futures event this week. Was top 35 three years ago and won Hamburg (a 500). Only 25 now and his career has gone to pieces.
[ Last edit by TheMadHatter April 25, 2013, 04:03 PM ] IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4008 on: April 25, 2013, 06:58 PM »

Jonathan Overend is quitting at the BBC.
Such a shame - he's not leaving until after Wimbledon and is hoping to go out in a blaze of Andy's glory.  Now wouldn't that be nice - and can you imagine his voice if he was commentating Andy winning the big W.
He's also predicting that the DC will be played on clay - given Andy's difficulties in adjusting quickly to clay, perhaps they won't select him especially if he gets to the USO final as he'll have no time to adjust at all !
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4009 on: April 26, 2013, 01:13 PM »

Such a shame - he's not leaving until after Wimbledon and is hoping to go out in a blaze of Andy's glory.  Now wouldn't that be nice - and can you imagine his voice if he was commentating Andy winning the big W.
He's also predicting that the DC will be played on clay - given Andy's difficulties in adjusting quickly to clay, perhaps they won't select him especially if he gets to the USO final as he'll have no time to adjust at all !

I've thanked him for his great coverage and asked him on Twitter how to apply for his job. Possibly a bit cheeky, but I can't see it advertised anywhere.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4010 on: April 26, 2013, 01:39 PM »

I've thanked him for his great coverage and asked him on Twitter how to apply for his job. Possibly a bit cheeky, but I can't see it advertised anywhere.

Good luck with that!

Looking at JO's twitter, seems he's staying with the BBC, and will still be on 5live.

Lots of pressure on Andy now to win Wimbledon...
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4011 on: April 26, 2013, 05:18 PM »

Not exactly news, but an interesting read.

Colin Fleming: The economics of playing tennis, part 1 of 2

http://www.thetennisspace.com/colin-fleming-the-economics-of-playing-tennis/
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4012 on: April 26, 2013, 06:11 PM »

Nice one Nigel!
Glad he'll still be on 5 live at least as I think he comes across well and no doubt they'll pull him in still at key moments of the tennis calendar, even if not as tennis correspondent as such.

Interesting what Colin Fleming says about the players below the main tour not having a voice in ATP deliberations about prize money.  Barry Cowan was saying something similar this afternoon and that he thought they shouldn't be putting all the extra money into the slams but using some of it to help those on futures/challengers tour.
[ Last edit by Ruthie April 26, 2013, 06:16 PM ] IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4013 on: April 26, 2013, 06:24 PM »

All this talk of Jonathan Overend got me listening to that match point at the USO again. What a great piece of commentary from him. It still chokes me up every time I listen to it.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4014 on: April 26, 2013, 06:31 PM »

Listen again to the Olympics if you can tj - I just loved how he squeaked something like Andy Murray has beaten - no correction - has thrashed Roger Federer.  He sounded as excited as we would have done had we been doing the commentary!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4015 on: April 26, 2013, 08:51 PM »

Listen again to the Olympics if you can tj - I just loved how he squeaked something like Andy Murray has beaten - no correction - has thrashed Roger Federer.  He sounded as excited as we would have done had we been doing the commentary!

I have heard that one, but I will dig it out again. I love commentaries like that, when you get a feel for the atmosphere even when you aren't there.

If I'd been commentating at the USO final I would never have got my words out, especially in that last set. I'll never, ever forget that night, it was amazing!
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4016 on: April 26, 2013, 10:46 PM »

Nice one Nigel!

I don't really think it's for me. I'm no broadcast journalist. Would love to go through the interview process for it, though.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4017 on: April 27, 2013, 02:02 PM »

A 16yo just won the Bournemouth $10k event. Watch out for Borna Coric (current junior #4).
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4018 on: April 27, 2013, 09:35 PM »

Ivo Karlovic has had a mild brain stroke.According to his facebook he was released from hospital and got sick again. He's now in hospital in Miami.The poor guy! Frown
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4019 on: April 27, 2013, 10:06 PM »

Ivo Karlovic has had a mild brain stroke.According to his facebook he was released from hospital and got sick again. He's now in hospital in Miami.The poor guy! Frown
Oh no - that's not so good.  Jeez - he's so young. Frown
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 265 266 267 [268] 269 270 271 ... 308 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »