Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  General Community  >  Tennis Talk  >  Tennis News 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 269 [270] 271 272 273 ... 313 Go Down Reply
Author

Tennis News

(Read 128295 times)
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4035 on: April 29, 2013, 08:31 PM »

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2013/04/basel-tournament-director-federer-refused-our-offer/47250/#.UX7JyydzYfQ

Basel tournament director: Federer refused our offer

Basel tournament director Roger Brennwald discusses his event's relationship with Roger Federer, and says the two sides have yet to reach an agreement on his appearance fee for the October tournament...
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4036 on: April 29, 2013, 10:18 PM »

MR NICE GUY!

"Roger has always [been our] top priority,” Brennwald told the Swiss newspaper Tages Anzeiger. “We have launched campaigns in the millions for him and allowed him to promote his sponsors, which is not very common. We are grateful for the time we were allowed to have with him. The thing is very simple: We have made an offer to him, which he refused. We have submitted a second offer, which he has not responded to. We do not normally pay a seven-figure [appearance fee].”

Brennwald also complained that he is unable to speak with Federer directly and always has to go through his agent Tony Godsick.

“We actually speak the same language, but with Godsick it's not fun," he said. "I've never seen anything like it. I can contact Djokovic or Murray if I want. I have spoken personally with Nadal. But with Roger it’s not possible.”
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
Seed

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4037 on: April 29, 2013, 10:22 PM »

Mr F showing his true colours!
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4038 on: April 30, 2013, 12:21 AM »

MR NICE GUY!

"Roger has always [been our] top priority,” Brennwald told the Swiss newspaper Tages Anzeiger. “We have launched campaigns in the millions for him and allowed him to promote his sponsors, which is not very common. We are grateful for the time we were allowed to have with him. The thing is very simple: We have made an offer to him, which he refused. We have submitted a second offer, which he has not responded to. We do not normally pay a seven-figure [appearance fee].”

Brennwald also complained that he is unable to speak with Federer directly and always has to go through his agent Tony Godsick.

“We actually speak the same language, but with Godsick it's not fun," he said. "I've never seen anything like it. I can contact Djokovic or Murray if I want. I have spoken personally with Nadal. But with Roger it’s not possible.”

The side of Roger Federer that his many legion of fans (sheep) seem to overlook on purpose
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4039 on: April 30, 2013, 03:21 AM »

^ Nole didn't play there last year.

If Andy does enter, I hope he manages to play this year because he's pulled out the past 2 years. Remember last year they had that whole Brit Day thing organised?
I hope so too.  The freak injury he sustained in 2011 was unfortunate, but pulling out at the last minute last year the way he did isn't going to be lightly dismissed, especially as the Brit Day was reportedly being held in his honour.

MR NICE GUY!

I had a good laugh when I read that in the Bleacher Report, especially as it was announced Nadal would be playing Basel for the first time in nine years.

My goodness, if the Fed fans can't see what he's really like now, then I despair of them - although no doubt excuses will be found, as usual.

IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4040 on: April 30, 2013, 06:36 AM »

Mr F showing his true colours!

Well I disagree. It's the tournament official who has brought this onto the public arena. Fed would never negotiate directly with him over money either. It all would be done through his agent.
And lets not forget Rafa is not playing Queens because of the UK tax system Think
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4041 on: April 30, 2013, 06:56 PM »

^ Nole didn't play there last year.

If Andy does enter, I hope he manages to play this year because he's pulled out the past 2 years. Remember last year they had that whole Brit Day thing organised?
Yes I don't see them repeating that somehow  Whistle
Interesting that Swiss tournament promoter coming out publicly to complain about Saint Fed
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4042 on: April 30, 2013, 08:25 PM »

20 years today since Monica Seles' stabbing.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/tennis/news/20130430/monica-seles-stabbing-anniversary/
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4043 on: April 30, 2013, 10:25 PM »

She had such a future ahead of her. Great player.
No wonder she suffered from depression after that. Shame.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4044 on: May 01, 2013, 01:48 AM »

The video in that article is shocking.  I do remember the incident being reported in the newspapers here but this is the first time I've seen any footage of it.  It's truly tragic that the action of one deranged man effectively destroyed Seles's very promising career and caused her so much mental trauma for so long.  Not surprisingly she never played in Germany again.  I've got a fair bit of  sympathy for Graf as well because the incident must have haunted her too.  It must have been awful to think that somebody could be so obsessed with you that they wanted to kill your closest rival.
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4045 on: May 01, 2013, 05:09 PM »

The video in that article is shocking.  I do remember the incident being reported in the newspapers here but this is the first time I've seen any footage of it.  It's truly tragic that the action of one deranged man effectively destroyed Seles's very promising career and caused her so much mental trauma for so long.  Not surprisingly she never played in Germany again.  I've got a fair bit of  sympathy for Graf as well because the incident must have haunted her too.  It must have been awful to think that somebody could be so obsessed with you that they wanted to kill your closest rival.
I too have never seen video footage before, but remember the incident from the news and press. The tennis officals and team were just shocked a, not knowing what to do, lie her down or sit her up. Some were just paralized, physically it looked like.

And Stephie Graff too sat there tears and bewilderment on her face. No one to charge of her quickly at least during the drama, I bet she needed lots of help afterwards.

What a tradgedy for tennis or any sports for that matter. They ought to be safe on court.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4046 on: May 02, 2013, 03:09 PM »

I remember hearing about the incident at the time, and I think there is a clip of it on youtube too.

It was awful, and it did effectively ruin Seles's career. I always wondered about the effect of it on Steffi too. It wasn't her fault in any sense, but knowing that it was apparently a deranged fan of hers must have been hard to take in.

One of the things that did come about after the stabbing was that the players chairs on court were turned around, so they had their backs to the umpire, not the crowd. However, it didn't take long for players to turn them around again.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4047 on: May 02, 2013, 04:37 PM »

GILLES SIMON HAS A NEW COACH

A few months ago, Gilles Simon announced he would no longer be working with his long time coach, Thierry Tuslane. His next coach will be Jan de Witt, from Germany, who works with Jarkko Nieminen.

Simon told the media in Monte Carlo that he would like to have a new coach soon, before Roland Garros ...

According to L'Equipe, Jan de Witt said that he has a clear vision on how to improve Simon's game. They realized after they met that they both like discussing all aspects of the game. Simon feels that with de Witt he will be able to be more confident and still be able to play his game.

Simon ... has said in the past that his dream would be winning Roland Garros. And he admitted in Monte Carlo that he wasn't happy being on his own and that he needed guidance, and a new coach.

http://www.ubitennis.com/english/sport/tennis/2013/04/30/881644-gilles_simon_coach.shtml
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4048 on: May 05, 2013, 10:36 PM »

Tomic's dad has been arrested for *allegedly* headbutting Tomic's hitting partner and knocking him out cold.

stevegtennis‏@stevegtennis28m
Jeez. Seems Tomics dad is held in jail & hitting partner still in recovery with neck brace.

stevegtennis‏@stevegtennis5m
Seems Dolgopolov 1st noticed the guy on the ground & alerted staff. Guy was out cold with heavy bleeding.

Matt Cronin‏@TennisReporters1h
BREAKING: John Tomic allegedly arrested 3 days ago in Madrid 4 head butting/breaking nose/knocking out Bernie's French hitting partner.

Matt Cronin‏@TennisReporters1h
...John Tomic said to have spent 1-2 days in jail. Hitting partner still in Madrid with neck brace on & badly broken nose in cast

Matt Cronin‏@TennisReporters50m
Bernie's hitting partner is said to be Thomas Drouet, been working with him for few motnhs

--------------

Madness. Tomic needs to break off from his father and soon, or he'll never fulfil his promise.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Tennis News « Reply #4049 on: May 05, 2013, 10:42 PM »

Also Sloane Stephens on Serena being massively bitchy since losing to her in Melbourne:

http://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2013/05/sloane-serena-shes-not-friendly/47336/#.UYasqMqyFMk

In an interview with ESPN The Magazine, Sloane Stephens heavily criticizes Serena Williams, saying that the elder American hasn't spoken to her since Stephens upset Williams in the Australian Open quarterfinals.

“She’s not said one word to me, not spoken to me, not said hi, not looked my way, not been in the same room with me since I played her in Australia,” Stephens said in a interview that was conducted prior to the U.S. Fed Cup win over Sweden last month, when both were on the team. “And that should tell everyone something, how she went from saying all these nice things about me to unfollowing me on Twitter.”

Stephens alleged that after she upset Williams in Melbourne, that not only did Williams unfollow her but also put out a tweet she believed was directed at her that said “I made you.”

“Like, seriously! People should know," Stephens told the magazine. "They think she’s so friendly and she’s so this and she’s so that — no, that’s not reality! You don’t unfollow someone on Twitter, delete them off of BlackBerry Messenger. I mean, what for? Why?”

In the interview, Stephens said that she is still upset that the Williams sisters did not sign a poster she had of them when she saw them at a Fed Cup match when she was 12.

“I waited all day [for an autograph],” she said. “They walked by three times and never signed our posters.”

Stephens said because of that she eventually decided that  Kim Clijsters would become her favorite player.

Williams has never said that she was consistently mentoring Stephens although she has been asked many times about it. She did work with Stephens a bit during a 2012 Fed Cup tie in Ukraine.

“It's hard to be a real mentor when you're still in competition,” Williams said prior to their Australian Open quarterfinal. “But I'm here to compete and do the best I can, as well as she.  And she's been doing really amazing. I'm really happy [for her].”

Weeks before they met at the Australian Open, Stephens praised Williams after losing to her in the Brisbane quarterfinals in January.

“She's so sweet,” Stephens said at the time. “No, I love her. Obviously she's been a really great influence in my tennis year career….  Obviously I always was like, ‘Oh, my God.’ I love her to death.  She's amazing, whatever.  Now she's like an actual person and I'm like, 'Oh, hi.  How is it going?'  She's not like a hero anymore. She's just a friend.

But Stephens now says that the depth of their relationship was overblown.

“For the first 16 years of my life, she said one word to me and was never involved in my tennis whatsoever,” says Stephens. “I really don’t think it’s that big of a deal that she’s not involved now. If you mentor someone, that means you speak to them, that means you help them, that means you know about their life, that means you care about them. Are any of those things true at this moment? No, so therefore…”

Stephens has a 2-7 record since leaving Australia and lost in the first round of Madrid to Daniela Hantuchova.

Serena, who won her first round match in Madrid, has yet to respond to the criticisms but her agent is aware of Stephens’ comments.

--------

So childish from Serena.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 267 268 269 [270] 271 272 273 ... 313 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »